Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Howzit all,

I’m moving to Rondebosch in the coming months and was planning on cycling into town for work as I’ll be based in the foreshore area - any suggested routes or areas to watch out for? The way I see it’s basically over the mountain, along Woodstock main rd, or along Liesbeek then onto the cycle lane.

They all have their own pro's and con's depending on what time you ride either way.

The Liesbeek section is pretty good, but the cycle lane is a joke at the best of times - don't think its a safe haven for bikes. Be careful of the bike lane from the Church Street bridge into Town. its not long, but can feel very isolated.

Woodstock Main Rd can be a taxi drag race with busses as obstacles - but at least the road is quite wide.

Heading into Town along the mountain is the longest and hardest, but certainly the prettiest and least stressful. Its lovely to be up there and look down at the traffic. Safety shouldn't be a hassle (fingers crossed) if you are reasonable early in the morning and not too late in the afternoon of evening.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do that route most days. Liesbeek parkway past The River Club and straight to town on Albert Road. You'll be surprised, it's no that busy and the road is wide enough that I have to say I haven't really had any close calls after 3 years of riding this route

• 2 months later...

Yesterday, Saturday Morning. Attack in Tokai / Steenberg: Just saw this on Facebook

A cyclist was attacked by two men with a panga opposite the US Embassy close to Steenberg Village this morning. The cyclist was robbed of his bicycle and broke his leg in the attack, he has been admitted to hospital. According to SAPS Kirstenhof no arrests have been made as yet. Please avoid riding alone but maintain a social distance and be vigilant !Pedal Power Association #staysafe

Yesterday, Saturday Morning. Attack in Tokai / Steenberg: Just saw this on Facebook

A cyclist was attacked by two men with a panga opposite the US Embassy close to Steenberg Village this morning. The cyclist was robbed of his bicycle and broke his leg in the attack, he has been admitted to hospital. According to SAPS Kirstenhof no arrests have been made as yet. Please avoid riding alone but maintain a social distance and be vigilant !Pedal Power Association #staysafe

Apparently that's the 4th incident along there over the last week... Not great as it's part of my route... I hate the main road hussle. I will be cruising the streets of Kirstenhoff now to get the the start of the greenbelts

Apparently that's the 4th incident along there over the last week... Not great as it's part of my route... I hate the main road hussle. I will be cruising the streets of Kirstenhoff now to get the the start of the greenbelts

4th incident in a week, must surely be a group/gang working the area.

I always wonder why the police don't have a tactical unit for these situations, once enough reports come in they know the guys are there, set a trap and catch them. These incidents have such a negative impact on the profile of Cape Town you'd think the city would gladly have a dedicated unit to come down hard whenever these things crop up.

.............I always wonder why the police don't have a tactical unit for these situations,..................

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Edit: I had a whole page full of   :D but Bikehub tells me I cannot post so many of them in one post. Bloody useless coppers. Seems they can only catch Covid19 and a few smokers and surfers.

Edited by DJR

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Edit: I had a whole page full of   :D but Bikehub tells me I cannot post so many of them in one post. Bloody useless coppers. Seems they can only catch Covid19 and a few smokers and surfers.

Well, let's face it, much easier to nail the submissive than a few panga wielders on tik. Maybe closer to KFC as well.

Disclaimer. I generalise (Cele that is) of course. I feel sorry for the few good police (like the good that work at SAA, Eskom etc).

Why is it the Unfortunate person that gets Targeted not a "Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris" type of Cyclist?

These Thugs need to be Taught a Lesson in Life.

Just Saying out Loud

Why is it the Unfortunate person that gets Targeted not a "Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris" type of Cyclist?

Just Saying out Loud

Did happen on the Hout Bay side of the Nek a while back.

Unknown cyclist was forced off his bike by 2 perps. Cyclist fought back, knocking the one guy out with a rock and chasing the other one away with the bloody rock and his unconscious mates knife....

Just received a 'whatsapp' (with no date) about a stabbing and bike taken from at the Steenberg circle this morning, but it's probably the above attack which happened on Saturday, .... with the msg being forwarded?

I have not commuted since the start of lockdown, as our staff are all working from home. 

The frequency of attacks seems to be getting higher?

Makes me anxious about getting on the bike again at 5:30am once the office opens up again.

Just Saying out Loud

Quite a few years ago in Nelspruit an unemployed elderly man was on his way to the Rob Ferreira Hospital to get some medication.  He got confronted by 4 youngsters who wanted to rob him.  The old man happened to be quite some Karate expert.  In a relative very short time he knocked two of them into hospital with some broken bones and broken jaws, the other two made a run for it which he went after and caught one and also booked him into hospital and the fourth oak managed to get away.  The next day he had a job as security at a local business.

A year or so ago two women were attacked in Tokai Rd, close to the latest incident. One was knocked off her bike and the perp fled with it. The other woman fought off her attacker and then chased the fleeing one down on her bike before tackling him off the stolen bike. You've gotta love women like that. :thumbup:  :clap: