Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

In my instance the signs of an incoming attack were there, but could just as well have been innocuous. I suspect it might have been the same thing here where you think it might be coming, but it's not obvious enough to warrant turning around.
We can't really avoid passing pedestrians...  :unsure:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Northern suburbs cyclist be alert, I had an attempted robbery/bikejack incident on Waburg road, Joostenbergvlakte yesterday at around 16h40.

I cycle the road alot but is always aware of people walking along the road and pay specific attention to their behavior once they spot me approaching.

Yesterday I spotted 3 people walking along the road towards me, still about 800m ahead. One walking down the centre of the road and the other 2 on the outer edges on both sides. Immediately alarm bells rang as a couple of years ago along Sandringham road next to the railway track, I was involved in an incident where the same thing happened. I immediately prepared myself to be attacked taking out my pepperspray and chosing a comfortable gear to excelerate in.

As I got nearer the one walking in the middle of the road joined the one on the left hand side of the road and they where now walking 2 abreast towards me. The one on the right had outer edge of the road was walking a couple of meters ahead of them, leaving me about a 2 metre gap in between them to pass through. I then new the attacked was going to happen.

About 5 metres from them, the one on the right tried to distract me by waving and greeting me. The next minute one of the two on the left came for me. I then peppersprayed him and the other guy to the left solid while accelerating. In the process I emptied half of the full can of pepperspray I had. Unfortunately due to the windy conditions also got some pepperspray fumes in my face. 300m further after making certain that the attackers were well gone, I had to stop as I could hardly see through my eyes. Fortunately I had a nearly full water bottle and started rinsing my eyes with water- no rubbing. After about 10 minutes I could open my eyes again and rode home and jumped in the pool. Hel the stuff is potent. Burning on my skin continued at least for another hour or so.

But yes, not a hand layed on me during the ordeal for which I would like to thank my Heavenly Farther for His protection.

I gave alot of detail so that should you be unfortunate to go through the same situation, you will be able to recognise the modus operandi of these thuggs and prepare in advance.

And btw just a tip, ride with the pepperspray in your hand and your finger om the trigger because there's no time to take it out once the attack happens.

Be safe out there guys!

Well done on averting the attack, which was a result of your quick thinking and being prepared... Thank God you are safe, and live to ride another day in this crazy land of ours... 

Northern suburbs cyclist be alert, I had an attempted robbery/bikejack incident on Waburg road, Joostenbergvlakte yesterday at around 16h40.

I cycle the road alot but is always aware of people walking along the road and pay specific attention to their behavior once they spot me approaching.

Yesterday I spotted 3 people walking along the road towards me, still about 800m ahead. One walking down the centre of the road and the other 2 on the outer edges on both sides. Immediately alarm bells rang as a couple of years ago along Sandringham road next to the railway track, I was involved in an incident where the same thing happened. I immediately prepared myself to be attacked taking out my pepperspray and chosing a comfortable gear to excelerate in.

As I got nearer the one walking in the middle of the road joined the one on the left hand side of the road and they where now walking 2 abreast towards me. The one on the right had outer edge of the road was walking a couple of meters ahead of them, leaving me about a 2 metre gap in between them to pass through. I then new the attacked was going to happen.

About 5 metres from them, the one on the right tried to distract me by waving and greeting me. The next minute one of the two on the left came for me. I then peppersprayed him and the other guy to the left solid while accelerating. In the process I emptied half of the full can of pepperspray I had. Unfortunately due to the windy conditions also got some pepperspray fumes in my face. 300m further after making certain that the attackers were well gone, I had to stop as I could hardly see through my eyes. Fortunately I had a nearly full water bottle and started rinsing my eyes with water- no rubbing. After about 10 minutes I could open my eyes again and rode home and jumped in the pool. Hel the stuff is potent. Burning on my skin continued at least for another hour or so.

But yes, not a hand layed on me during the ordeal for which I would like to thank my Heavenly Farther for His protection.

I gave alot of detail so that should you be unfortunate to go through the same situation, you will be able to recognise the modus operandi of these thuggs and prepare in advance.

And btw just a tip, ride with the pepperspray in your hand and your finger om the trigger because there's no time to take it out once the attack happens.

Be safe out there guys!

Question: was it DIRECTIONAL (stream-style) pepper spray or SPAY (cloud-type) pepper spray? I know the DIRECTIONAL one is meant to be LESS affected by wind; still this IS Cape Town, home of the South Easter!

Glad you came off relatively o.k.

Chris

Thanks for the alert Reg Lizard. I often cycle on that road (usually on my own). I am always slightly nervous and on the lookout for trouble there but this is again conformation that maybe I should change routes..

In my instance the signs of an incoming attack were there, but could just as well have been innocuous. I suspect it might have been the same thing here where you think it might be coming, but it's not obvious enough to warrant turning around.

We can't really avoid passing pedestrians... :unsure:

Same in my case, few pages back.

I KNEW they have taken note of me .... but there is no "attack" as you approach, just body language to observe ....

I was very close when they tried to wave me down ... too late to turn around. But by this time I had my gearing right, and full boost on the ebike ....

Must have caught them off gaurd when I suddenly accelerated fast UP the hill ....

By the time they start their attack it is maybe two peddal strokes and you are either past them, or on the ground .... it happens QUICKLY ....

A few weeks later two gents turned and watched me .... this time I used boost and got some speed going, while approaching them .... they quickly stepped back.

Edited by ChrisF

I planned to ride the route this weekend after a couple of years not. Is the crossing at the train tracks clear?

I planned to ride the route this weekend after a couple of years not. Is the crossing at the train tracks clear?

They recently cut the grass/shrubs so that section is fine

Glad you're OK. I have to ask (and don't take this as a negative criticism) but didn't you think about turning around rather than go straight for them?

Point taken, but you never really know whether its going to happen or not until it happens???? I've been riding that road for years with no problems, so I probably convinced myself that I was being abit "too alert" and it was just coincedental that they walked that way.But never the less preparred myself if something did happen???? lesson learned again, I guess????

...ans did you at least manage to spray them enough to disable them temporarily or couldn't you see well enough

Man I didn't bother to look around to see whats going on???? I suppose I was in flight mode and was just thinking of getting away. Btw the wiff that caught me was enough to disorientate me temporary for half a minute or so, so they must have had it far worse than me as I emptied a half a can on them????????

We can't really avoid passing pedestrians... :unsure:

Exactly????

Question: was it DIRECTIONAL (stream-style) pepper spray or SPAY (cloud-type) pepper spray? I know the DIRECTIONAL one is meant to be LESS affected by wind; still this IS Cape Town, home of the South Easter!

Glad you came off relatively o.k.

Chris

It is the orange one that can reach up to 5metres if you hold the trigger in for a couple of seconds, but yes the wind was pumping so I guess it was inevitable that I would get some. At least it helped me to get well clear of them unscathed????????

Thanks for the alert Reg Lizard. I often cycle on that road (usually on my own). I am always slightly nervous and on the lookout for trouble there but this is again conformation that maybe I should change routes..

Being alert is the thing, dont take anything as being a coincidence???? Prepare even if it might not be people looking to attack you, but if something does happen your ready.

Cycling past Kayamandi these days I take out my pepperspray everytime I am about a kilometer from the hotspot and I even show them I have it in my hand????

Same in my case, few pages back.

I KNEW they have taken note of me .... but there is no "attack" as you approach, just body language to observe ....

I was very close when they tried to wave me down ... too late to turn around. But by this time I had my gearing right, and full boost on the ebike ....

Must have caught them off gaurd when I suddenly accelerated fast UP the hill ....

By the time they start their attack it is maybe two peddal strokes and you are either past them, or on the ground .... it happens QUICKLY ....

A few weeks later two gents turned and watched me .... this time I used boost and got some speed going, while approaching them .... they quickly stepped back.

Jip gearing into the right gear beforehand is important, with the adrenalin rush from the attack you might even get the KOM????

Jip its clear, just be alert as you approach for any characters that might be after your bike????

Edited by Reg Lizard