Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was robbed on open field between Rivergate and railway line on 27/02. Only took pouch which had my cel and some money. They also took the Spot Gen tracker which I had on me. They dropped my bike and did not garm me! Raced home and tracked them on tracker. Went to police but when we got to the new scatter camp West of river, they had switched off!

I was robbed on open field between Rivergate and railway line on 27/02. Only took pouch which had my cel and some money. They also took the Spot Gen tracker which I had on me. They dropped my bike and did not garm me! Raced home and tracked them on tracker. Went to police but when we got to the new scatter camp West of river, they had switched off!

Last time I rode there was just before the hard lockdown last year coming back towards Sunningdale. As I passed some folks building shacks beside the road they all stopped what they were doing and watched me come past. I felt like a antelope being watched by a pride of wild dogs. I have decided I won't go that way again and I'm sticking to that decision. Even driving past there is a schlep and I now favour Blaauwberg road to Plattekloof to get on the N7. I am considering selling my house I just bought in Sunningdale and moving elsewhere as DuNoon is getting worse by the minute.

• 5 weeks later...

Same here, Always try to get to max speed, I know on hills that can be a problem, but I have had success in evading perps down claremont mainroad many years ago doing this.

I think its the speed, travelling along at 40 or 50km/h on bicycle and colliding with a perp is sure gonna hurt the perp

I avoided two guys on the M5 just north of the driving range early one morning by having speed---although it was just luck.

I had a nice tail wind and it was a flat/slight down, so I was doing like 40.  I saw the guy, but thought he was crossing the road, so there was this moment as I approached of him moving right, then me moving left because I thought, "Ok, he's crossing, I'm on the inside, cool."

Then I think I see a gun in his hand, but I'm just full steam ahead so was like, "Nah, this guy is just crossing the road," but then an instant later I see it IS in fact a gun.  Then out the corner of my eye I his buddy lunge from the left, but it was a big swing and a miss because I don't think they understood how fast 40 is when you are standing still and trying to connect with the person moving.

Anyway I sliced right between them, whew.

Received via WhatsApp:

Wednesday 21 April at 06:10 a group of 6 cyclists were part of an attempted high jacking just past the Steenberg circle and Steenberg Village Shopping Centre heading towards the US Embassy. The 2 perpetrators sprayed the cyclists with a pepper spray mixture from a water bottle. Most of the spray hit the cyclists on their bodies with 1 cyclist being caught in the eye forcing him to immediate stop. The rest of the group also stopped. Fortunately the perpetrators saw the the entire group stop and just casually walked away....
Pedestrians and passers by assisted and the case was reported to the Kirstenhof SAPS as well as the security at Steenberg Estate.
Brazen - not even phased by a sizable group. We were just lucky. Be careful out there.....

Anybody still using the cycle route from Paarden Eiland to Woodstock? It's been more than a year since I rode it, and it was dodgy then already.

I am no longer working from home ( sadly) and am back to the morning commute. My current route involves getting onto the cycle track at Milnerton, and then after the market area I continue on the shoulder into incoming traffic - not ideal.

It worked OK in the past, but now there are all these trucks parked on the shoulder (outbound), so I have to get uncomfortably close to the oncoming traffic.

Options include using the inbound lane (no shoulder), or the service road ( scary, not much space with big trucks & lots of traffic), or the cycle lane itself.

Another options not included here?

Did not see many other bicycles on my commute, seems not that many back at work yet. Any trains that I can latch onto to get through the dreaded Woodstock cycle lane safely ( in the mornings, around 7am?).

no man take the service road where the KTM dealership is and jump back in after the On tap (or before the petrol station), it's bumpy AF but it seems like the safest option.

I used to keep going against trafic by the market but yeah those trucks are a pain, and if it's easy to cross the road to get back on the good side by the Engen/On tap early in the morning, it becomes a real pain when trafic gets heavier. From now on I'll just cross at when the cycle lane ends at the market to the service road.

Edited by Jbr

thanks, going to try this, always looked a bit concerning with the road being somewhat narrow with lots of traffic, but with the trucks parked on marine drive, this is no longer an option.

Anybody still using the cycle route from Paarden Eiland to Woodstock? It's been more than a year since I rode it, and it was dodgy then already.

I am no longer working from home ( sadly) and am back to the morning commute. My current route involves getting onto the cycle track at Milnerton, and then after the market area I continue on the shoulder into incoming traffic - not ideal.

It worked OK in the past, but now there are all these trucks parked on the shoulder (outbound), so I have to get uncomfortably close to the oncoming traffic.

Options include using the inbound lane (no shoulder), or the service road ( scary, not much space with big trucks & lots of traffic), or the cycle lane itself.

Another options not included here?

Did not see many other bicycles on my commute, seems not that many back at work yet. Any trains that I can latch onto to get through the dreaded Woodstock cycle lane safely ( in the mornings, around 7am?).

It is still going to be some time before I commute again (Still working from home) .... but I have sent your post to our commuter group for anyone that would be coming past that time in the morning to make contact with you to see if you can ride together.

If you are ok with it, please PM your details and I can send your info to group.

Unsure of your business/profession, but it is possible, if difficult, to get a Harbour pass IF you have any business reason to visit the Harbour frequently...

Way les traffic, drafting (safely) 16-wheelers is fun, and it’s near-flat.

Only negative is probably a bit more road debris.

You could the exit the Harbour early, and turn left for Woodstock. On 2nd thoughts, your problem does seem to be BEFORE the Harbour t/off...

PM if you want more info.

Chris

Edited by Zebra

There is a post on Facebook today about a cyclist attacked and stabbed in Wynberg, Cape Towns. There are graphic photos. Stabbed in the leg. Hectic.