Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Thanks for the detailed report.

I've always wondered if anyone have managed to use pepperspray successfully and how bad the blowback was. The one attack that I've managed to foil it was quite essential to have two hands solidly planted on the bars to keep control of the bike. It was a very similar attack to yours. I moved into the attacker as soon as he lunged at me and shoulder charged him, bouncing off of him and staying upright even though I came off the saddle and my one foot unclipped. I'm still not sure what the best approach is regarding pepperspray...

Pepper spray works.

Just pre-Covid a single lady commuter had an attempted mugging on the cycle lane along the dodgy Woodstock Station section.

She managed to fight off two scumbags with a can of pepper spray.

If any of you are buying pepper spray, get the "Stream" or "Gel" options only ... spray is useless in the open air environment

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same in my case, few pages back.

I KNEW they have taken note of me .... but there is no "attack" as you approach, just body language to observe ....

I was very close when they tried to wave me down ... too late to turn around. But by this time I had my gearing right, and full boost on the ebike ....

Must have caught them off gaurd when I suddenly accelerated fast UP the hill ....

By the time they start their attack it is maybe two peddal strokes and you are either past them, or on the ground .... it happens QUICKLY ....

A few weeks later two gents turned and watched me .... this time I used boost and got some speed going, while approaching them .... they quickly stepped back.

If riding alone and there are a group of people that look really dodgy, and look like they are not going to move off the road or cycle lane I get out the saddle, hammer as hard as I can swinging the bike back and forth trying to look as big and fast as I possibly can and the group always opens ... now there is no guarantee that this will work on the wrong group, and I have no evidence that this has worked on a group that had ill intentions....but still

It is the orange one that can reach up to 5metres if you hold the trigger in for a couple of seconds, but yes the wind was pumping so I guess it was inevitable that I would get some. At least it helped me to get well clear of them unscathed[emoji106][emoji109]

Good pepper spray is brutal, I test mine every so often to make sure it's still pressurised and invariably get a tiny wiff despite my best intentions and that tiny bit kicks hard, I'd hate to get a full face of it.

Good pepper spray is brutal, I test mine every so often to make sure it's still pressurised and invariably get a tiny wiff despite my best intentions and that tiny bit kicks hard, I'd hate to get a full face of it.

Jip the one I have is da bomb???? I dont want to know what those attackers went through after I sprayed them, but I'm sure they will think twice next time if that orange can comes out????????????

Watch Active Self Protection on YouTube. Many vids on Pepper Spray. The general rule that is taught would be to hold the spray can in your hand and use your thumb to press the spray trigger. That ensures you have a firm 4 finger grip on the canister and that the spray gets directed where it needs to go. When spraying aim for the face, first spraying ear to ear then forehead to chin. Also, over-spraying is apparently less effective.

But the best way to remain safe is to always have situational awareness and keep a transitional space to allow you time and space to get away from danger. Use spray as a offensive measure when no escape is available, but never communicate your intention to use the spray beforehand. If you get the canister ready then deploy without warning and then get out of there. That's what the spray is intended to let you do.

A

If riding alone and there are a group of people that look really dodgy, and look like they are not going to move off the road or cycle lane I get out the saddle, hammer as hard as I can swinging the bike back and forth trying to look as big and fast as I possibly can and the group always opens ... now there is no guarantee that this will work on the wrong group, and I have no evidence that this has worked on a group that had ill intentions....but still

Agree. I have done this on a few occasions . It may not work all the time but at least it gives you a chance.Quite interesting how dodgy pedestrians suddenly make way when they are in the direct path of a sprinting cyclist.  

A

Agree. I have done this on a few occasions . It may not work all the time but at least it gives you a chance.Quite interesting how dodgy pedestrians suddenly make way when they are in the direct path of a sprinting cyclist.  

Same here, Always try to get to max speed, I know on hills that can be a problem, but I have had success in evading perps down claremont mainroad many years ago doing this.

I think its the speed, travelling along at 40 or 50km/h on bicycle and colliding with a perp is sure gonna hurt the perp

I don't recall seeing this on the Hub, Strand cyclist got a knife in head, like sticking in the head, with pics.

He survived

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a25395419/cyclist-knife-in-head/

It was well covered in 2018, when it happened. Not sure why it is appearing again.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/179563-commuting-cyclist-stabbed-in-head-at-the-strandwestern-cape/?hl=strand

Same here, Always try to get to max speed, I know on hills that can be a problem, but I have had success in evading perps down claremont mainroad many years ago doing this.

I think its the speed, travelling along at 40 or 50km/h on bicycle and colliding with a perp is sure gonna hurt the perp

40/50km per hour .. come on man ... you can do better than those speeds!

Well written article, with which I mostly concur, with one 'factual' error:

"Some of the identified hotspots by the PPA include Ocean View, Slangkop, Military Road in Steenberg, the R44 close to Stellenbosch Square, Vlottenburg and the R304"

I and mates ride this area a lot - there is practically no (hijack) risk - whatsoever - in my opinion on the SLANGKOP road, which exits Kommetjie, goes over the pass, past Slangkop Lighthouse, and ends roughly at the 4-way crossing/2-way stop, on the way to Misty Cliffs, and Scarborough...

Just to be clear, there HAVE been several incidents turning off this road to ride down past Ocean View, but i feel the use of the word 'Slangkop' is somewhat misleading, that is actually a PREFERRED/SAFER route.

Cheers

Chris

Well written article, with which I mostly concur, with one 'factual' error:

"Some of the identified hotspots by the PPA include Ocean View, Slangkop, Military Road in Steenberg, the R44 close to Stellenbosch Square, Vlottenburg and the R304"

I and mates ride this area a lot - there is practically no (hijack) risk - whatsoever - in my opinion on the SLANGKOP road, which exits Kommetjie, goes over the pass, past Slangkop Lighthouse, and ends roughly at the 4-way crossing/2-way stop, on the way to Misty Cliffs, and Scarborough...

Just to be clear, there HAVE been several incidents turning off this road to ride down past Ocean View, but i feel the use of the word 'Slangkop' is somewhat misleading, that is actually a PREFERRED/SAFER route.

Cheers

Chris

Afaik Slangkop road goes past Ocean View, the "further" road past the Slangkop lighthouse you are referring to is Main road. But I get why people would be confused Edited by Skubarra

Afaik Slangkop road goes past Ocean View, the "further" road past the Slangkop lighthouse you are referring to is Main road. But I get why people would be confused

thanks for that clarity - going to jump onto Google Maps now... appreciated!

thanks for that clarity - going to jump onto Google Maps now... appreciated!

I stand corrected - we (my cycling mates) talk about "...going over Slangkop..." when actually we are going past the Slangkop Lighthouse, via the 'Kommetjie...Main Road (M65)' - thanks for the clarification - and so we learn!

Chris