Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

3 minutes ago, CapSizer said:

Poison is about right ...  Coming from West Beach, generally in that area some time around 08h30.

Do NOT go through the part between Parden Eiland, Church Street (Woodstock) and the Civic Centre when on your own. Ride that strictly with a large enough group to deter attacks. Even small groups of 3 or so are targeted and it has become increasingly violent. And NO, it has not improved over the past few years. If there are fewer attacks, then it is because cyclists have learnt to avoid it, NOT because there are fewer criminals in that area. My guess would be that there are now (post Covid) more lawless opportunistic predators than ever before and the fences are much more broken down than ever in the past. As for police or security presence? I don't know because you won't catch me dead on a bicycle on that stretch unless in a big and mean group (and I don't have that).

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ridr said:

Hi, I'll be attempting the Cross Cape ride from 7-9 November. Are there any places on the route I need to be extra cautious? How safe are the last 50km on tar into Stellies? (And if anyone wants to join me for all or part of it, please message me.)

https://ridewithgps.com/ambassador_routes/1319-the-cross-cape?lang=en

https://forum.bikehub.co.za/topic/189907-cross-cape-on-my-ace/page/2/#comment-3851994

On 10/21/2022 at 7:33 PM, milky4130 said:

Pretty safe. Good luck. Still on my bucket list.

Great! Still need to work out what time I'll be riding through the different areas. Any safe route suggestions to get from Stellies to Claremont, or better to just get in a car?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, ridr said:

Great! Still need to work out what time I'll be riding through the different areas. Any safe route suggestions to get from Stellies to Claremont, or better to just get in a car?

Apologies for the late reply, only saw this now, Stellies>Polkadraai>Zevenwacht>Bottelarey>Frans Conradie(Brackenfell through to Goodwood)>Thornton>Pinelands>Rondebosch>Claremont

On 10/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, ridr said:

Get in a car rather and finish your ride on a high note rather than the frustration of dealing with idiots in cages. You'll see what I mean after you've done the ride, your soul will be cleansed.

1 hour ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Get in a car rather and finish your ride on a high note rather than the frustration of dealing with idiots in cages. You'll see what I mean after you've done the ride, your soul will be cleansed.

There's a good reason all the trans-cape-like events end in Stellies.

16 minutes ago, CapSizer said:

"bike jacking in woodstock"

Any more information on this?

Look at the screenshot attached to the previous post. 👀

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 15.10.04.png

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

image.png.571c265a8b79a35af99dae31a60b77c9.png

bike jacking in woodstock

How does this happen??? 10am on a Sunday there are cars and people everywhere!

The bike track through Woodstock runs along the MyCity bus route, next to the railway line,  It is very isolated and nowhere near cars and other people.  The area is really badly neglected (thanks, railways!), which is the main problem.  There are some squatters, although I don't think they are responsible for the muggings.  

As per other thread - bike jacking near Tokai circle this morning

Cyclist vs car in Hout Bay this morning - serious condition (no details of the incident via Whatsapp groups)

Also a crash in the PS group near Hout Bay circle.

Not a great morning to be out.