Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

And I see there was a bikejacking on the Botha avenue split to Eeufees yesterday at 15:00 or so. Saw the twitter feed on facebook yesterday posted by cyclelab.

Do you have any more info on this?

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Evening; at 14h20 today I was cycling (alone) to Groenkloof heading North on Botha Ave & took the Eufees offframp. Roughly 200-300m down the offramp two black males rushed at me from the thick bush on the LHS (railway side). I thought they were running for the taxis on Botha, however to my surprise when they were 30m from me the one in front pulled a 10-15cm knife and storming towards me he raised it above shoulder height. As he lunged towards me I hit him with a swinging left arm which took him by surprise and knocked him off balance; I rode hard to the main entrance of GK. Long story short; there was a subsequent chase along the railway line, and they may not be back BUT please be aware guys and avoid this area for now.

Good Evening; at 14h20 today I was cycling (alone) to Groenkloof heading North on Botha Ave & took the Eufees offframp. Roughly 200-300m down the offramp two black males rushed at me from the thick bush on the LHS (railway side). I thought they were running for the taxis on Botha, however to my surprise when they were 30m from me the one in front pulled a 10-15cm knife and storming towards me he raised it above shoulder height. As he lunged towards me I hit him with a swinging left arm which took him by surprise and knocked him off balance; I rode hard to the main entrance of GK. Long story short; there was a subsequent chase along the railway line, and they may not be back BUT please be aware guys and avoid this area for now.

Glad you are OK.......but one of these days we won't be able to say it. Broad daylight, midday......it is starting to get ridiculous. Very good for being vigilant and surprising them with a not to be expected tactic, most probably gave you those few seconds to change the outcome of the situation. Still it was too close, literally and figuratively, for comfort.

Glad you are OK.......but one of these days we won't be able to say it. Broad daylight, midday......it is starting to get ridiculous. Very good for being vigilant and surprising them with a not to be expected tactic, most probably gave you those few seconds to change the outcome of the situation. Still it was too close, literally and figuratively, for comfort.

Glad your ok - and yes this is BS. Sounds like the same MO as the attack in GK/Fountains last weekend. If the area is made secure they still know people cycle to these places as well on the outside where there is no security.One has to be very vigilant and always keep an eye out. If some one is going to attack you should be able to see some warning signs and that could give you the few second to get away. Also well done for catching them off gaurd. This is ones life so I will go all out to hurt them if I have to to save my own life.The reality is these things happen so fast and the best tactics will be to try and get away. Things like a tazer and knifes or guns could potentially just put one in more danger when trying to reach for it. Ai ai dont like this. If its the same guys ( they do this on weekends) so perhaps they work in the week. They should be easy to catch with an organized effort. After all they are idiots and not very clever

First it was avoid Fountains, then Klapperkop, then Groenkloof and now the area around GroenKloof and Fountains :-(

First it was avoid Fountains, then Klapperkop, then Groenkloof and now the area around GroenKloof and Fountains :-(

It is getting absolutely ridiculous.

This is crazy! I am now forced to drive my car with bike on back from Nelmapius (Irene and PvR area) to Wolvespruit or BRB, JUST to GET SOME PRACTICE IN!!!!

So much for FREEDOM!!!???

Thank you; fully agree, it was the brazenness of the attack with the clear intent of burying a knife in me in broad daylight with at least four cars stopped at the Eeufees stop street not even 100m away that astounded me. That and when some 40-45 min later I returned to the spot, they were lounging in the bushes obviously waiting for their next target. It was only when they saw me jump from a vehicle that they bolted. As the other guys have pointed out; we cannot be too careful and please be constantly vigilant, looking for possible threats no matter where you ride. Sad and depressing, but unfortunately it's the way it is.

I can't picture exactly where this happened , and were you on a road bike ?

No, MTB - going north on Botha, off left down the Eeufees offramp heading to the GK/Fountains main entrance.

Man that is hectic. Glad you are still here to tell the tale. This is not on. 

I can't picture exactly where this happened , and were you on a road bike ?

From what I can make out it is around this area

post-42648-0-91546200-1415166727_thumb.png

Man that is hectic. Glad you are still here to tell the tale. This is not on. 

From what I can make out it is around this area

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Damnit, I clap though there on the road bike often .

I to ride past there, on weekends mostly and occasionally in weekdays. Stay safe guys the safe spots are getting smaller and smaller.

SloSilver, please can you contact Amelia De Ridder (0828242182 ameliadr@rekord.co.za) from the Rekord news paper, they want to get all the detail, and anyone that was attacked during the last month near Botha Ln. She want to do an article on the incidents, it will create some awareness and maybe we can get more police patrols in those areas. Regards