Core muscles

1Hill - My 2c

Yes, I believe core training benefits your cycling immensely - If done correctly

They stabilise the movements - in effect means that you use the muscles intended for moving quads, glutes, psoas etc) for moving and not for stabilising your body

Abs, erector spinae (deadlifts) does not contribute to the core muscles - only the core muscles like TA(transverse Abs), Multifidi and some obliques.

Ball exercises are way too advanced for almost all people who have not done extensive core training before.

Get to your local physio (sport trained) and start on a graded programme with slow progression.

these exercises were from my physio she is sports trained, they not to hectic, and only about 10 - 15 mins a day, should i add in some ab training as well.

the reason i went to her i was experincing knee problems from riding, these exercises have helped alot with that i just want to kep the pain away, while i increase my training.

My all time favourite core exercises as prescribed by a sports physio - real torture and gauranteed to make u swear sweat....

DONT TRY THESE WITHOUT QUALIFIED INSTRUCTION AND SUPPORT.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

4 different positions, No idea what they are actually called - some form of "bridge?.

(1) On back, (2) on left side, (3) on right side and then (4) on stomach. Idea is to keep your body flat and parallel to the ground only supporting body weight by your elbows (all positions) and heels (1) then side of feet (2)(3) and lastly toes (4) ? in each position lift one leg a few inches whilst trying to keep your body straight. Body (bum and sides) should not gravitate towards the floor.

While doing the above concentrate on breathing, keeping core muscles engaged (squeeze bum and stomach muscles).

SwissVan2007-02-14 08:11:42

Swiss, this is some times called the hunting dog in yoga. If you do it right is a great way to work the core, but if you are only starting out you will sweat and by chance fall over and hurt yourself...

Swiss' date=' this is some times called the hunting dog in yoga. If you do it right is a great way to work the core, but if you are only starting out you will sweat and by chance fall over and hurt yourself...[/quote']

I think you meant "HURTING dog" Wink

But yes if you look at the link you provided that is the one, albeit only one of the 4 exercises, you should do it on both the left and right sides, on your heels and toes. Same principal as per the link and picture below the link.

http://www.menshealth.com/media/MH_Static/2007/01/1169495423025/0703_sidebridge_200x200.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have some excellent adivce for the Core thing...

Last year i had a big crash before the epic and tore all the ligaments in my AC JOint in my shoulder. Did not get chance for rehab... eventually after the epic i started wall climbing (mountain) or bouldering as some would know it.  at first my shoulder struggeled.  I realised tho how week my abs were and my internal oblique and my whole core as a hole.  I could not do half the stuff the other guys did cause i could not bring my legs up when you hang...

anyways. now 8 month later i have abs of steel.  dont have any more back pains and my arms and fore arms are so strong.  I think it as improved my cycling by more than 20% and it beats going to the gym. nice to do some different on the weekends than just riding.  now you can go on a weekend and ride and climb.

check out this site for starters http://www.samountainmag.com

one more thing. makes you lean and you dont pick up unwanted muscle!

try it!

get urself one of those gym balls and then search the net and check out mens health and bicycling mags for excercises, i think it helps and there is a good artcile in one of the newish bicyclings abt it, the second newest one, o and another benfit, chicks dig six packsSmile