Anriette Schoeman knocked down

Thug

From news24.com........

Port Elizabeth - South Africa's cycling

phenomenon Anriette Schoeman was again hit by a car on the same stretch of road

for the second time in six months on Wednesday.

According to her coach, Alex Cooper, Schoeman and

another local cyclist, Conrad Viljoen, were practising for the Cape Argus Pick

'n Pay cycling tour, which takes place on March 11.

The accident again took place near St

Albans prison in Cape Road, almost at the same spot she was hit six months

ago.

Schoeman and Viljoen were apparently cycling on the

left-hand side of the road in the direction of Cape Town, when a

car coming from the prison's side turned right.

"The driver slowed down and then suddenly speeded

up again. He missed Viljoen, but hit Schoeman," said Cooper.

Schoeman's ankle was swollen and her legs were covered

in cuts. It also seemed as if she had broken a bone in her hand.

Her bicycle, which is quite rare, is apparently a

wreck.

"We don't know how serious her injuries are, and

she will not be able to get another bicycle before next week. Her bicycle is

very rare and must be imported. Her new bicycle is still on a ship that is on

its way from Germany to South Africa," said Cooper. Cooper

was concerned that Schoeman's previous injuries could bother her again.

She injured her lower back, neck and stomach in the

previous accident.

Cooper said he and Schoeman were both despondent.

"Nothing has happened to the previous person who

crashed into her. And now we have a new case."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is bad. As an aside and consequences for actions i see the guy who knocked down and killed those 2 runners in March last year is due to be sentenced today. Will like to see what he gets for it.

Let me be quite clear here:

Cyclists have every right to be on the road, and should be treated with respect and courtesy and respect by motorists.  There is no indication in the story posted, and I am not alleging that either cyclist was doing anything wrong.

But is it possible that Cape Rd in PE is not a good road for cyclists to be training on?  This was apparently Schoeman's 2nd incident on this road in six months, which is why I ask, and I am asking this as a true question and not a rhetorical one - can a PE Hubber help out here?

Bikemonster.....why am I not surprised......

I see there are about 50 accidents on the N1 between Pretoria and Jhb DAYLY. 

Now taking your quote and modifying it....... But is it possible that the N1 in Gauteng is not a good road for motorists to be riding on??

NO IT IS NOT.  PEOPLE SHOULD START DRIVING LIKE THEY CARE. 
Spinnekop2007-02-15 02:56:28

I've cycled on the same stretch of road that Anriette was knocked down on.  It's a wide flat road with a broad shoulder - no trees or shady patches in that section of the road so it's not as if the cyclists couldn't have been seen.

Hope Anriette is OK and recovers soon.

Now that is really BAD NEWS. Spidey I could not agree more with you . people should start driving like they CARE for their fellow road users .We have a right to be out there doing what we love. I am going to make it a mission to keep sending emails to the local radio stations and ask them to to give a mention on air for the motorists to be on the look out for cyclists.Angry

NO IT IS NOT.  PEOPLE SHOULD START DRIVING LIKE THEY CARE. 

Clap

Well said!

Just a quick question, what rare bike was she riding?

The number of cyclists getting knocked down is really frightening and one hears almost nothing about it in the paper.  If I wasn't on the Hub, I wouldn't be aware of half these accidents.

This is the busiest time of the year for cyclists to be training for the Argus.  When it is Easter or Xmas holidays, there is a huge push by the Traffic Department with their Arrive Alive campaign - there should be something of a similar vein done by the traffic department to make motorists more aware of cyclists at this time of year!  If they can get it together over Easter or Xmas, what about Argus time as well!!!!

I know why motorists gets angry for us. Yesterday morning at about 06:15 when I was on my way home from Spinning class I saw a group of about 10 cyclists who took up the left lane on Ontdekkers, they did not care about red traffic lights either, skipped about 4.  Is there maybe something that we can do about that, maybe stop them and tell them what is the right thing to do?

I know why motorists gets angry for us. Yesterday morning at about 06:15 when I was on my way home from Spinning class I saw a group of about 10 cyclists who took up the left lane on Ontdekkers' date=' they did not care about red traffic lights either, skipped about 4.  Is there maybe something that we can do about that, maybe stop them and tell them what is the right thing to do?

[/quote']

Good idea. I think though that when guys ride like that your polite information to them may well fall on deaf ears. Worst case... They go all Bedfordview 6 on you!

I reckon the bike shops should dish out the following with every bike sold: etiquette pamphlet towards fellow cyclists and motorists, free sense of humour voucher and smack upside the head for the k@k they'll undoubtedly cause at some point.  For the motorists, maybe two smacks, a real driving examination focused on intelligent and considerate use of the nations roadways and maybe another smack just for good measure.  That should sort things out

A few more smacks in order for PDP tests supertorro.

Now I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what this "rare" bike of hers is!