Saddle height

Here's a question. I've been riding my bike (59cm Litespeed Ultimate) with my saddle at the same height for the past 2years. I have no discomfort (lower back pain, knee problems or any of that) and prefer a lower front end (see pic - I'm 2nd in blue)

2006-04-24_103531_saddle.jpg

I've now been told by two LBS's that I sit to high. Especially Jan of High Street Cycles have come up to me twice in rides saying "you sit way too high" and insists I should sit 1cm lower.

Think I should listen or stick with what I know feels good?? Advice? Commens?

I would maybe drop it just a little bit, wait a while and see if it is any better (although if it is perfect now, what could be better smileys/smiley5.gif).

Go with what feels comfortable - the 1 cm drop will feel like your knees are around your ears. Why must you be lower? More power? If Jan can justify the 1cm in terms of performance, then go for it, otherwise, stick with what is comfortable.

I think you look good on the bike (I am not flirting smileys/smiley4.gif - there is no other way to say that) as it is, and if anything, from riding with you would have thought you looked too big for your bike - but then again, there is a lot of fatty to dwarf any bike...

I think you look good on the bike (I am not flirting smileys/smiley4.gif - there is no other way to say that) as it is' date=' and if anything, from riding with you would have thought you looked too big for your bike - but then again, there is a lot of fatty to dwarf any bike...

[/quote'] Thats why I love the Litespeed frame. It has a very long top tube, and with a 120cm stem, allows me to sit perfectly comfortable. If I go with a 60-62cm frame, it might start feeling like I'm driving a truck. I just have long legs smileys/smiley5.gif

Looking at that pic, and supposing that you've just gone through the bottom of your pedal stroke, it does not look like you are over-extended in the knee..nor does it appear as if you are not level in the hips (no "rocking")..so it looks fine to me.  Also, if the setup on your track bike is similar, then definitely, you are not too high!

I have gone through an extended period of trying to find the right setup for my oldest son, he had chronic knee problems...so if you are comfortable with your setup,  DONT CHANGE IT!

Leave as is if you are comfortable - more power to be had with a seat slightly higher than lower - as a big strong rider, the higher position is better suited to your style of riding. If you were over extended then you would feel it.

Personally, I think you just wanted an excuse to post that picture of you sitting with Mike and nobody else with you (did you airbrush them out ?) smileys/smiley36.gif

Personally' date=' I think you just wanted an excuse to post that picture of you sitting with Mike and nobody else with you (did you airbrush them out ?) [img']smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Hahaha I wish! No, both Leon at CMC and Jan at High Street said I sit too high, so it was a concern.

And why weren't you on my wheel there?? smileys/smiley2.gifsmileys/smiley36.gif

Personally I always look to improve. So if there is a possibility I could change my setup to be more efficient, I would. Just measure your current saddle height and then go and get your setup done proffesionally. If after a couple of weeks you want to go back to the way it was you can...and atleast then you wont have the question sitting in the back of your mind.

Best way to go about making adjustments to your bike is in small increments. Otherwise you will end up picking up problems...

"if it aint broke, dont fart around with it"smileys/smiley2.gif

Get someone to watch you cycling from behind whilst you pedal at +/- 90 rpm (you may need to take your shirt off), if your hips are rocking up and down then its to high, lower it 0.25 cm at a time untill they stop rocking.

Chances are if you feel comfortable with no lower back pain then its ok.