Cycle Lab in Hot Water

Dubsy

I hope they get fined so badly, they have to close shop. Will teach others not to mess with the free market principle. Will also give the smaller LBS a better chance.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Michelle

I'm sure all of you that are so quick to criticise go to work every day purely out of the goodness of your heart.....

Get real!!

This place can be truly pathetic some days....

Far too often people take so much glee in other peoples problems... I can list a number of examples... think about it... how would you feel if you were on the receiving end???  Seriously.... do you guys have the emotional intelligence of a maggot or what???

We're all in business to make a buck.  The operating costs for these superstore shops must be higher than most realise.  Then we go out buy goods from CRC - me included' date=' and some of us then expect the local guys to fit them at standard pirces and then warrant the parts if they pack up.

Make sure your own house is clean before you comment on someone else's!

[/quote']

nicely put !!

Our awesome sport is in enough trouble as it is so really hope its not to serious because if not the big neames can take away all our fun

It's even easier doing great thing for the sport when you are holding all the Cards. Ooooo I got such a nice deal from CycleLab, they gave me 2.5% dicount, hooopeee - Yeah right, they still ripped you a new one by charging you 200% more than RRP - Ooo Cyclelab is helping us with funding ect - Yeah right - maybe if they did nto ripp us off so much we would not NEED there help in the first place.

I'm sure all of you that are so quick to criticise go to work every day purely out of the goodness of your heart.....

Get real!!

Far too often people take so much glee in other peoples problems... I can list a number of examples... think about it... how would you feel if you were on the receiving end???  Seriously.... do you guys have the emotional intelligence of a maggot or what???

sage words, michelleClap

Why do you need a superstore??? It's an SA thing

so you have have mega companies (Tiger brands etc, Edcon etc), but not retail (cycle in this particular case) stores ?

Get real!!

I agree Michelle

Get real!!

No seriously we all go to work, but we have to work damn hard, else there will be someone else to replace us.

Why should it be any different for these retailers? Just because they decided to open a huge Fancy store in a highly overpriced area doesnt mean the man in the street has to pay for it.

Its about time we all realize that there is no such thing as get rich quick.

OK' date=' lets see how many times this topic gets posted anew today!!!  I think I've seen at least five topics[/quote']

are you going to start another one?Tongue

No, I don't have the time.  I just popped in to see what's happening and OH BOY!  Unfortunately I have to go and work and figure out ways to fleece other people of their hard earned, crises money (but there is no way I'm telling YOU how I'm gonna do it!Wink)

Don't worry, this thread will become so long so quickly that nobody will ever have the energy to trawl through the garbage spewd ever again...

I hope they get fined so badly' date=' they have to close shop. Will teach others not to mess with the free market principle. Will also give the smaller LBS a better chance. [/quote']

That'd be counter productive, staff unemployed and a loss of support and infrastructure within cycling.

Sure by all means fine the guilty partys, but to do it to the extent that a whole business collapses would be plan stupid economics.

I really think these okes didn't realise that what they were proposing is illegal. Otherwise' date=' there would be no way that 'evidence' would be so freely available. Think Tiger Brands and the bread scandal - these big business types knew exactly what they were doing hence the subterfuge.

Unfortunately for them, though, ignorance of the law is not a defence. I kinda feel sorry for them, they just trying to protect their businesses in the face of globalisation etc.

Reality is that you should rather protect your business by examining your value proposition and amending it as necessary if it no longer stacks up in changing market dynamics.... [/quote']

How can you even contemplate that they are ignorant that what they were doing was wrong? Why is it that there are close to 100 pages of how wrong it is posted on the hub, but the business people involved are blissfully unaware that planning to rip off your customers is both illegal and immoral? We all know that bicycle prices in SA are ridiculous and everyone seems to pass the buck on to someone else when questioned about it (nobody has yet denied our prices are ridiculous), be it customs or agents... If our agents are so bad, then why has no dealer taken the time to contact the manufacturers to ask them to sort it out and give someone honest the local agency instead? I am sure the manufacturers would care if they knew they were losing business due to ridiculous mark-ups... And for the dealers reading this, if you are going to deny you mark things up much, then prove it, you have nothing to lose then by showing us your cost vs. selling price.

And I will continue to import my own parts until someone locally sells them at the same price... When I was looking for road wheels recently, Merckx was able to match the price of CRC for Easton's and he got my business without hesitation.

and i have to take issue with the thread's title?

from the sapa story?

"The shop owners allegedly discussed ramping up the prices on cycling accessories to increase margins from 50 percent to 75 percent, ramping up prices of bicycles to increase margins from 35 percent to 50 percent and co-ordinating these increases to be introduced at the same time... on the 1st October 2008."
The commission said the shop owners also apparently discussed a plan to get certain wholesalers to collaborate.
The retailers apparently wanted the wholesalers to provide a new suggested retail price to them.
The commission said shop owners had apparently held face-to-face meetings in Gauteng and Cape Town about cartel plans.
Commissioner Shan Ramburuth said it seemed there were more parties involved and this possibility would be investigated.
"That these retailers believed they could act together to increase prices with impunity is shocking.
"The commission intends to thoroughly investigate this apparently blatant attempt amongst competing retailers to collusively raise prices to unsuspecting consumers."

it's not about cyclelab.