Best way to secure a bike - lock-up method

Cassie

This might come as a bit of a "duh" question....Wink but I'd really like to hear some opinions on how to properly secure my bikes.

Unfortunately space limitation (4 bikes to secure) does not allow me to use my garage.

My idea is to attach some sturdy rawl bolts to a wall and then chain the bikes to this....or is there some other bracket device that is also lockable & that can be fixed to a wall?

Any better ideas / suggestions?

Good question, I'm also under pressure from the Minister of Home Affairs to find alternative accomodation for my bike.

You really don't want to store your bikes outside.

Can't you look at hanging the bikes in the garage either on the walls or from the roof?

Just put them in the spare room/bedroom/lounge/kitchen.

I tried to convince my wife that the bikes will make excellent wall hangings and they'll be great conversation pieces when we have guests over. The fight is still on.

your bicycles deserves the same quality of life then your otherhalf. If he/she expect it to stay outside, then they deserve to be outside. Luckily my bikes stay in the kitchen. My gf never goes there.

hmmm... much the same problem here.

Fitting Rawl Bolt in 2 places and threaded hi-tensile steel chain or sumfink as a... chain, i guess. They have to live outside, purely for reasons of space limitation.

At least remove front or both wheels if possible and you absolutely have to leave them outside... less likely to go missing if they can't be ridden. A lock or chain can get clipped very easily with bolt cutters. What about designing and having some sort of security "bar" made which can go through the frames and locked into position? Some tail end bikeracks have a system you could try and copy

Electrical fencing around them and a huge dog protecting them, only way those bastards don't steel them

At least remove front or both wheels if possible and you absolutely have to leave them outside... less likely to go missing if they can't be ridden. A lock or chain can get clipped very easily with bolt cutters. What about designing and having some sort of security "bar" made which can go through the frames and locked into position? Some tail end bikeracks have a system you could try and copy

XTC1, now your'e talking my language....

I'm also thinking of something like an iron bar or bracket that bolts tot he wall and on which your bike can hang - but is lockable...almost like on a car bike rack, just more solid.

Has no-one done this before?

i'm designing and patenting this then!!

Electrical fencing around them and a huge dog protecting them' date=' only way those bastards don't steel them[/quote']

An hope like hell the dog doesn't chew.

'magine if your carbon wheels, forks or your tyres get chewed by said huge dog.

Had a mate once whose Rottie used to chew his car.

I too have to get my bike out of the bedroom and into the garage now, considering that a 2nd one might be on its way - my wife mentioned the raw bolts and chain as her dad had to always theft-proof everything where they lived.

Need to first look for some old tubes to cover the chain with as I know how badly a chain can scratch a bike frame. Have actually got some raw bolts with fish eye hooks that might be big enough to loop my lock and cable through.

This might come as a bit of a "duh" question....Wink but I'd really like to hear some opinions on how to properly secure my bikes.

Unfortunately space limitation (4 bikes to secure) does not allow me to use my garage.

My idea is to attach some sturdy rawl bolts to a wall and then chain the bikes to this....or is there some other bracket device that is also lockable & that can be fixed to a wall?

Any better ideas / suggestions?

I would go with XTC1's suggestion of having a bar that can go through the frame and wheels.

My suggestion would be that you make a "normal hook" like in the bike shops etc and hang the bike from the rear wheel. Have a bracket either side of the bikes and slide a bar through the wheels and lock either side with a high security lock. You could either have another bar running through the front wheels too or take the front wheel out and hang between the bikes.

When mounting the brackets either weld the bolt head to the bracket after tightening to prevent the bracket from being removed from the wall, or use a rawl bolt where the bolt is inside and a nut is used to tighten the bracket to the wall and use torque-shear nuts. It is a nut that is round at the base with a hexagoanl head which breaks off when the nut is fully torqued, thereby preventing removal of the nut.

My suggestion would be that you make a "normal hook" like in the bike shops etc and hang the bike from the rear wheel. Have a bracket either side of the bikes and slide a bar through the wheels and lock either side with a high security lock.

Be sure to slide the bar through some part of the frame too, lest the thieves discover the usefulness of the rear quick-release levers.