Govt to hand out million bikes

epoh

from news24.co.za

Johannesburg - The government will give a million bicycles to
schoolchildren throughout the country by 2015 to promote non-motorised
transport (NMT), said Transport Minister Jeff Radebe on Thursday.

There was a need to provide safe, affordable and reliable
transport to pupils in rural and urban areas, Radebe told an NMT
international conference in Midrand.

The Shova Kalula (Pedal Easy) project would include the
construction of dedicated bicycle pathways, bicycle-safety education
and the promotion and provision of bicycles, in partnership with the
private sector.

Radebe said this would go a long way to popularising cycling
as a mode of transport - particularly in the run-up to the 2010 Soccer
World Cup.

He said: "Global experiences in the previous soccer world cup
tournaments indicate very clearly that NMT plays a key role to ensure
effective utilisation of space and mobility of people and in a manner
that is environmentally friendly and affordable to plan and implement."

Potential risks

However, a major barrier was the high risk of crashes on roads, he said.

He also pointed out that a Human Science Research Council surevy
had found that 43 cyclists were killed in road accidents in Pretoria in

Another mode of NMT which would receive attention was the
animal-drawn carts on which rural communities had relied for many years
to get to schools, clinics, pension pay-points and all other social
services.

Animal welfare issues would be taken into account, said Radebe.

He said the department already had developed a database of
suppliers of non-motorised carts and bicycles - and related technology
- and this would be continuously updated.

I see that at least the Minister of Transport took note of the death of cyclists in Pta.

Maybe someone(IanJ or PPA) shouls set up a meeting with the Minister to discuss a way to ensure our safety on the road. Maybe the Dep. of transport can already start with a Cyclist awareness project.

It looks like there is a possibility that we will get some cyclists only routes.

Great initiative, my concern is whether they will actually get delivered.

I've got two old bikes that I'll donate to the cause, why not get a hub collection going, that way a couple of kids may actually get bikes?

I see that at least the Minister of Transport took note of the death of cyclists in Pta.

Maybe someone(IanJ or PPA) shouls set up a meeting with the Minister to discuss a way to ensure our safety on the road. Maybe the Dep. of transport can already start with a Cyclist awareness project.

It looks like there is a possibility that we will get some cyclists only routes.

There is alot happening behind the scenes and in Government, unfortunately I was unable to attend the conference due to work pressure but Gordon from the Safe Passing Campaign is exhibiting there. There is a ride at 11am today in which several ministers are supposed to be taking part.

After the Argus I want to start putting together a formal campaign to bring all the role players together, I built up lots of contacts when we did the protest ride so now we need to coordinate things.

I think the biggest push will come from the needs of the commuting cyclist and we will need to get involved in these campaigns even though their needs are slightly different to ours (as sporting cyclists).

Thats brilliant. ! smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

Think about the effect after that. Government will step up on cycling save campaigns for the kids going to school on bikes, and we all will benefit.

For me, this is the most positive action Goverment took since I started cycling.

I think the biggest push will come from the needs of the commuting cyclist and we will need to get involved in these campaigns even though their needs are slightly different to ours (as sporting cyclists).

I agree that the commuters have to be the cornerstone of the drive but I don't see how their needs are different from ours. We face exactly the same issues. But that is a moot point.

IanJ, I've never heard of the Safe Passing campaign and there are probably a few more of that I don't know of either. Maybe you can start a different thread which lists these organisations with contact details so those willing to add impetus to their efforts have a simple way of finding them??

Windbreaker

That is the plan but i think we first need to define all the role players and then establish who can do what. For instance we have potential sponsors such as Pick and Pay and then companies like Axiz who already have a campaign running where they swap bikes for trees in the rural areas (to me this is a brilliant concept). Then we have organisations like the Guild of Motoring Journalists and Think Bike who want to look at joint education campaigns etc.

wolverine the problem with random donations of bikes is that is does not create much coverage, what is needed is a concerted effort by all involved to supply bicycles to the kids, train a bike mechanic for the area (job creation) and for government to create a safe environment for the kids to use the bicycles. The Bicycle Enpowerment Network (BEN) is doing this but I think mostly in the Cape.

The most important thing is that for whatever reason some positive moves are being made.

wolverine you might be able to find someone who needs one of your bikes through your local bike shop. Last year Cyclelab club donated toys to a centre in magaliesburg. There was an 18 year old guy there who really wanted to start cycling but didn't have a bike. I donated a bike, shoes and a helmet to him (reminds me I must follow up and see how he is doing).

On this subject.. On KFM this morning they had a insert of a development rider who wants to do the Argus but his club don't have a bike to give to him.

I'm not sure that it will help him completing the Argus if he did not train (without a bike)

But, at least a million listners who listen to the news are now aware that their is cycling clubs and maybe it will become a "general" point in their minds.

Bicycles can be on the road.

All in all ...good stufff

Yes pops heard that insert on the news this morning. And you have a point there the exposure to the general public is what we need more of and not only come Argus day it should be all year round. The public should be made more aware of the cyclists out there on the roads

[quote=IanJ

I think this needs overlaps.

I will be commuting to work as part od training if the routes I need to take is saver at the times I need to travel.

I agree we need to get involved in these campaigns. If motorists are aware of commuters on bikes they will be aware of the training cyclists as well. Given that both keep to the rules of the road as well.

And if specific routes are created for cyclists only for the commuters we can use it as well.

isn't there more in China .

"...there are 9 million bicycles in Beijing..."Wink

and 1,313,973,713 people. One in every 1,314 people, roughly, has a bicycle.

isn't there more in China .

"...there are 9 million bicycles in Beijing..."Wink

You can see who listens to Katie Melua.Smile