Should the bridge stay or go  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should the bridge stay or go

• THE BRIDGE CAN STAY SO WE CAN LAFF
    • see ya bridge
    • bridge must be burned
    • the bridge can stay so the weenies dont have to learn how
    • the bridge has GOT to go

Is not perhaps a case of these things being built by non-riders? If so, then the intention is probably good.

Who does the trailbuilding in and around Tokai?

I always thought AMA rider was involved.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With bridges and ladders it's such a fine line for me personally. I

also lean to the more technical side of riding and love riding ladders

and skinnies.

At the same time I like keeping trails as natural as possible.

Originally bridges and ladders were built as means of protecting the

natural environment in wet areas or for crossing genuinely unrideable

areas.

Thus if they serve a genuine' date=' environmental purpose or make a obstacle(rut, gorge, rock formation) that was totally unbreachable rideable in order to link up a trail, then I'm all for

it.

While I understand that some form of bridge might have been necessary

to protect the stream in this particular instance, why build such a behemoth...? A wider version

of the railway sleepers that preceded the current bridge would've

served the same purpose without completely disrupting the line. It's simply too much bridge for this particular situation.

As for errosion, the only part that got seriously eroded ie the entrance/exit on the gate side is still in the same eroded state and is still subjected to the exact same forces as before ie riders trying to ride up/down it.

The funny thing is that we're talking of a shallow(5-10cm deep) stream that is in some areas not even half a meter wide. Walking it required stepping off your bike, stepping accross the stream with a single step and pushing your bike up a 2m long slope.

20090414_080621_Tokai0001.jpg

20090414_080652_Tokai0002.jpg

Several areas in Tokai have been dumbed down in the last few months and I must say I find this very disheartening.

Especially that section JR refers to. How often do you find a technical section including several drops with numerous lines to choose from...? Now there's just one single non-technical line down and it involves a straightforward bridge.

And as Johnny mentioned, there was an easy line around this drop-off section. Why then dumb down the technical line when there is already an option for the beginners...?

[/quote']

Thanks for posting the pics MintSauce. This is exactly the bridge I was talking about. It serves no purpose but to dumb down a good technical line. Truly pathetic and the amount of trails being dumbed down at the moment is startling. Why not spend the energy building some NEW lines? There are PLENTY to go still.

I think the bridge must go, and fast.

Hey guys, if you are that upset about it all, just pick up the phone and give Meurant a call....maybe he can give you the reason why this particular trailwork was done in Tokai.  Venting here is probably not going to get anything done?

Ja hell... I Here you BTS.. I would personally think there were way better places to put that bridge... mabe also all the effort.

But Im so Worried that If one said something the builders would take it up wrong and then we are back at square one.,

I dont really mind the little branch off to the left at the middle (whats it called) singletrack, even though One can ride it on a BMX cause its so smooth, but I love the drop coming round those trees and then the teeny doubles..Im sure itsbuilt by the same guys..

Mabe We should make more effort to get down and Build with these guys like Dassie sais..and help where we can.

Ja hell... I Here you BTS.. I would personally think there were way better places to put that bridge... mabe also all the effort.

But Im so Worried that If one said something the builders would take it up wrong and then we are back at square one.' date='

I dont really mind the little branch off to the left at the middle (whats it called) singletrack, even though One can ride it on a BMX cause its so smooth, but I love the drop coming round those trees and then the teeny doubles..Im sure itsbuilt by the same guys..

Mabe We should make more effort to get down and Build with these guys like Dassie sais..and help where we can.
[/quote']

Any trailbuilder worth his salt will have a good explanation and will welcome crit.

I love it too. Dig the drop off and the camels are fun too. THIS is creative trailbuilding and should be the focus of sweat at Tokai.

I make the effort by going there, paying my R20. If they want, I will build some trails there, free of charge. But then they are on my terms. I have the exact same trailbuilding books and data as these guys, and I have a few 'secret' little spots out and about. But do I care? nope, just trying to help stop the decay of our sport.

?

The irony of your comment is of course that the Tokai trails are in a PINE PLANTATION!!!! Kind of defeats the point in being all environmentally friendly and all eh?! Secondly, you speak as if you have some insider knowledge from the trail builders as to why this bridge was constructed. I'm guessing here, but I very much doubt it was erosion that caused this bridge to be built.

Anyways, you cant carry on about environmental impacts regarding this section. The very nature of the section is low impact. First off, there are root systems on either side of the crossing, with rocky sections before these sections. I'd agree with you if it were a steep chute with a corner at the bottom and no choke before the turn, but in the case of this bridge, it's just weenies not wanting to get wet.

Oh dear... don't think we'll tackle the?relative merits?of protecting one bit of environment over another and other types of impacts either....

You could be right?about?why?the bridge was built (though more likely?as others have said - some?don't want?to stop and get off?if?they can't ride not soo much wetness) and Minty?is probably?correct in about? size?of bridge and the rest of his point. ?It is ratherly large... ?

The idea that heavily ridden trails sometimes need dumbing down to prevent environmental damage is still valid (even if I've been shouted down about it in this context!)

Oh bloody good point Homer! (shuffles off to take advice)

??

Cheryl J2009-04-14 08:39:00

Keep it for now - watch it rot in winter, and laugh at the people falling off due to moss & mould growth...

Then we'll get the trail back.

Saying that, I agree with you BTS... I can think of at least a couple of times where I stayed at one section for about 30 mins to an hour trying to have a look at the trail, and get teh best route or me (at that stage) We're there to improve our skills, and have fun at the same time. If I can't go down something I'm afraid of tackling due to the route being changed, I won't overcome that fear, and won't progress in terms of my technical skills.

Anyway, if I can ride that section at 7pm in winter, with a Topeak 3LED front light (1/4 candlepower or some such power) and make it out, so can anyone else. Handle it! 

But Im so Worried that If one said something the builders would take it up wrong and then we are back at square one.' date='

[/quote']

I don't think any trail builder would really take offence, but then again if he/she were to be approached with a confrontational and insulting attitude, that wouldn't be constructive either.

If this was constructed by Meurant Botha and his crew then I'm sure theres some sound reasoning behind it. It's safe to assume there are few people as qualified around the enviromental aspects of trails and building therof as he is.

Hope you guys come right.

What the pictures do not convey very well is how tight that corner is for a MTB to make the turn on the bridge. theres no much wheel space for a mistake.

2ndly:

That bit of trail is ridden in both direction so the river corssoing has to be rideable in both directions, hence the bridgehas to be wide enough to cater for both approaches.

3rdly:

the bridge was put in to stop the widening of the stream by Mountainbikers. Yes it ben widened by MTB'e who claim to be able to ride that section but drag their back wheels into the river. that sections was a lot narrower 3 yrs ago.

4thly:

Tokai is a recreational area for riders of ALL abilities. Most newbies doen;t get up the 2nd, 3rd or 4th level at tokai and want to ride the trails ans still enjoy it. Hence some pars needs to be made rideable for a broaders spectrum of riders.

More technical bits of trail are being built and will be finished off before winter.

So BTS, either shut up or come help build / maintain the trails.

There plenty of work going onfor various reasons, all of which have the long term sustainability of your riding in the forest in mind.

If you don;t like the bridge then don't use it. However riders caught riding next to the bridge will be creating unnecessary erosion which will get the forest closed for Mountainbikers.

thats the way it is. If you want a say then join AMA.

Not a big fan of bridges (mainly because I feel like I am going to fall off them).

Even less of a fan of rutted and worn out trails, so I guess the bridge can stay.

GoLefty pretty much summed up

So BTS' date=' either shut up or come help build / maintain the trails.

There plenty of work going onfor various reasons, all of which have the long term sustainability of your riding in the forest in mind.

If you don;t like the bridge then don't use it. However riders caught riding next to the bridge will be creating unnecessary erosion which will get the forest closed for Mountainbikers.

thats the way it is. If you want a say then join AMA.
[/quote']

No I wont shut up GoLefty, and dont dare expect me to. WTFRU??. Furthermore, your comment "if you dont like the bridge then dont use it" doesnt work out bud. THE BRIDGE IS SO WIDE THAT ONE CANNOT USE THE LINES NEXT TO IT. Do you get this?

This is the most BS I've read in a while. THAT bridge will see more wipeouts than ever before. Wait till winter when it's wet and covered in moss. Aaaaaaaah, I know I'll be sitting nearby in my deckcahir with some Milo just waitin to 'have a laff'.

bustthesickness2009-04-14 09:11:46

go down the real down hill trail on the left of this one!!! or is it a bit to much for u and do u have to use the novice track?

BTS

It's been there a month already and only now you're moaning? Your poll has pretty much proved that you're in the minority here.

It's pretty much still the hardest thing on the loop. If we adopted the ski run grading, it would be a green.

Go find your black diamonds higher up.

BTS

It's been there a month already and only now you're moaning? Your poll has pretty much proved that you're in the minority here.

It's pretty much still the hardest thing on the loop. If we adopted the ski run grading' date=' it would be a green.

Go find your black diamonds higher up.

[/quote']

err, no, the poll says 14:1 in favour of the bridge going.

and no, I'm not moaning. The moaning was last night. and LOTS of it

cheers!

bustt he sickness ( you have the right name ) you make me sick!smiley7.gif

So what if they built a bridge there...some bikers out there actually do constructive that allows rookies to at least enjoy themselves and allows new entries into the sport...

Maybe you you should vomit at home...better still stay home and keep your sarcastic post to yourself...

its fools like you who deserve to face plant.