Licenced Vets to start from 35 yrs old?

Nialls101

Do you think Licenced Vets should start from 35 years of age?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Licenced Vets should start from 35 years of age?

• Yes
    • No
    • The current categories are working well

There's no physiological reason that someone who's over 30 can't compete with the Elites.

how can you say that???, I'm 33 full time single parent, with a full time job, how can you say that a person over 35 has more responsibilities, what a load of nonsense.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when has being a full-time parent affected your physiology? Your responsibilitties, yes, but if you could still train there is no reason you can't be up there.

There's no physiological reason that someone who's over 30 can't compete with the Elites.how can you say that???' date=' I'm 33 full time single parent, with a full time job, how can you say that a person over 35 has more responsibilities, what a load of nonsense.

[/quote']

what is more important, your child or your bicycle?

Can we have a separation for pro's and amateurs in the female racing as well...???

Or am i just being soft in my older age nowLOL

They are separated already. All the amateurs are racing here and our only pro is playing in the US somewhere.

Carla Swart? Don't forget about Arien...

Guest colonel

Dead right - it will fall into line with the other sporting codes where you become a Vet at 40' date=' but they throw the 35+ competitors a bone as "Sub-vets".

?
[/quote']

MX is 29

There's no physiological reason that someone who's over 30 can't compete with the Elites.

how can you say that???' date=' I'm 33 full time single parent, with a full time job, how can you say that a person over 35 has more responsibilities, what a load of nonsense.
[/quote']

I understand your point, but what about (let's say hypothetically) a 27 year-old with exactly the same responsibilities as you? Should he not then be allowed to race vets as well?

phen you right, so i think this whole thing should be 1st age then seeding should also come into play, and not oh you 30-34 so you suck and should go ride A group.

You're spot on' date=' Phen! And for those 30-35s who don't feel like racing elite, there is always the A bunch. [/quote']

Maybe they can even create a special group, like the amateur group Willehond suggested, for all the strong A-bunch riders and those who do not wish to race against the pro's - Then they can combine the prize money that would've gonna to vets 30-34, and the prize money that would've gone to the A bunch, in order to give guys racing in this bunch some insentive. They could also make an Amateur category at SA's and give the winner a jersey that he can wear when racing in that bunch. I think they have amateur national champs in the Netherlands.

Yes, they have an amateur champ and it's by no means easy.  There is a lot of prize money at stake and it just allows the guys with 'real' jobs to race at a high level.  We get guys from Germany and Belgium who come to steal the money!

Elites over here are the guys who want to make it and ride for continental level teams (not pro-continental!) or for big sponsored clubs with full race support.  Amateurs also have comms and support, but no Elites are allowed.  If you think it's soft, at the last 2-day tour we started with a bang.  The first hour we did 45kms! I think it is a real option for SA

I'm far to old and stupid to be paying any attention to this as I still try and ride in A bunch even though I became a VET way back when. Smile

yea well if that is the case and it does happen, i'll just get a cyclo lic, and not both doing 2 races per month, numbers will drop.

Can we have a separation for pro's and amateurs in the female racing as well...???

Or am i just being soft in my older age nowLOL

They are separated already. All the amateurs are racing here and our only pro is playing in the US somewhere.

Carla Swart? Don't forget about Arien...

OK, OK, now I REALLY feel useless, thanks!!

There is a 48cm Cannondale Six13 going up for sale...red and black with SRAM components. Any offers Wink

Wonder Woman2009-06-03 05:48:21

phen you right' date=' so i think this whole thing should be 1st age then seeding should also come into play, and not oh you 30-34 so you suck and should go ride A group. [/quote']

Difficult to find an ideal solution to the situation. I don't have any problem with the vets groups, but I feel they need to cater for the younger guys who are in the same situation as the vets, so maybe an amateur group will help.

Guest Michelle

I reckon they should still have u23 / elite / 30-39 / 40-49 etc. and the top 50 in each cat ride in their own groups, the rest get bunched together according to seeding. Thumbs%20Up

I reckon they should still have u23 / elite / 30-39 / 40-49 etc. and the top 50 in each cat ride in their own groups' date=' the rest get bunched together according to seeding. Thumbs%20Up

[/quote']

I like.