Licenced Vets to start from 35 yrs old?

Nialls101

Do you think Licenced Vets should start from 35 years of age?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Licenced Vets should start from 35 years of age?

• Yes
    • No
    • The current categories are working well

Guest Michelle

colonel: Noooo, wait!  Have to put the gold star on your forehead for being the brightest in the class today LOL

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way, its bad enough becoming a SV at 30. To go fully Vet at 35 makes you feel that you need to put your name down at the retirement village!

In my opinion it might actually be a good idea if you think about it in this way - What is the difference between a 27 year old working full-time, and a 32 year old working full-time? Physically not much in my opinion, and yet one guy has to race elites, and the other gets to race in an age group that is much easier. Is this fair?

Keep in mind the ages of Evans, Menchov, Di Luca, Sastre, Leipheimer, Basso, etc. All are older than 30, which might serve as proof that 30 is not some kind of physical turning point.

Just my opinion.

In my opinion it might actually be a good idea if you think about it in this way - What is the difference between a 27 year old working full-time' date=' and a 32 year old working full-time? Physically not much in my opinion, and yet one guy has to race elites, and the other?gets to race in an age group that is much?easier. Is this fair?

?

Keep in mind the ages of Evans, Menchov, Di Luca, Sastre, Leipheimer, Basso, etc. All are?older than 30, which might serve as proof that 30 is not some kind of physical turning point.

?

Just my opinion.
[/quote']

You're spot on, Phen! And for those 30-35s who don't feel like racing elite, there is always the A bunch.

I will have to wait a couple of years before racing SA's again.Cry There is 2 main problems with that idea for the "normal working" 30 -34 rider:1. I work so cannot even think of competing with the pro's Ouch2. I work so time is an issue for training distance/time in saddle' date=' how will I be able to race 200km! My legs can barely race 100km!OuchOuchOuch

[/quote'] My legs can barely race 100km!

I am not sure about your comment of your legs and 100km, as you did an excerlant job at 128km. 4th in your age group in S.A is quite an achievement smiley1.gif

I will have to wait a couple of years before racing SA's again.Cry There is 2 main problems with that idea for the "normal working" 30 -34 rider:1. I work so cannot even think of competing with the pro's Ouch2. I work so time is an issue for training distance/time in saddle' date=' how will I be able to race 200km! My legs can barely race 100km!OuchOuchOuch
[/quote'] My legs can barely race 100km!

I am not sure about your comment of your legs and 100km, as you did an excerlant job at 128km. 4th in your age group in S.A is quite an achievement smiley1.gif

I agree with AuctionLamb. It's not that we feel like old ballies. We just can't train 6 hours a day and work 50hr weeks and play with the kids at home.

So next year we're not up against Jaco, but wel'll be fighting it out with Impey and company

You're spot on' date=' Phen! And for those 30-35s who don't feel like racing elite, there is always the A bunch. [/quote']

Maybe they can even create a special group, like the amateur group Willehond suggested, for all the strong A-bunch riders and those who do not wish to race against the pro's - Then they can combine the prize money that would've gonna to vets 30-34, and the prize money that would've gone to the A bunch, in order to give guys racing in this bunch some insentive. They could also make an Amateur category at SA's and give the winner a jersey that he can wear when racing in that bunch. I think they have amateur national champs in the Netherlands.

All the riders with metal bikes get cyclosport licenses and the ponces with carbon bikes must just shut up and ride their bikes. why spend all that money if you're not gonna race it.

A family friend told me that Licensed Vets will soon be starting at 35 instead 30??? Do you think this is a good thing...

i think this is a *** idea Thumbs%20Down

Guest colonel

Well if this is the case Im going to have to quit my already quite day job and kick some Elite ass and then get on a good team and earn my R600 p/m salary and ride pro. Im more than happy.

All the riders with metal bikes get cyclosport licenses and the ponces with carbon bikes must just shut up and ride their bikes. why spend all that money if you're not gonna race it.

LOLLOLLOL I was told recently to stop complaining about this UCI rule...it was only a few years ago when Vets only started from 40!!!

Can we have a separation for pro's and amateurs in the female racing as well...???

Or am i just being soft in my older age nowLOL

Dead right - it will fall into line with the other sporting codes where you become a Vet at 40, but they throw the 35+ competitors a bone as "Sub-vets".

There's no physiological reason that someone who's over 30 can't compete with the Elites - just look overseas (and even locally for that matter) - that's when you hit your prime.

From 35 on your responsibilities typically change so it's more difficult to race at the same level, but there are still plenty of dedicated 35+ athletes out there who can still mix it with the youngsters but you do begin to feel it a bit (personal experience).

I've always thought that calling a 30 year old a "Vet" was a bit of a joke.

montyzuma2009-06-03 05:27:37

Can we have a separation for pro's and amateurs in the female racing as well...???

?

Or am i just being soft in my older age nowLOL

?

They are separated already. All the amateurs are racing here and our only pro is playing in the US somewhere.