PERMA TUBES

shawn

HI GUYS

I WAS WONDERING IF IT WAS ADVISABLE TO PUT PERMA TUBES (THE SOLID ONE"S) ON A MOUNTAIN BIKE, I REALISE THERE IS A WEIGHT ISSUE. I FIGURED THAT IF I PUT SLIME INTO A TUBE THE WEIGHT IS ALMOST THE SAME AS A PERMA TUBE.

CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME.

WHAT ARE THE PRO'S AND CON"S ????

THANKS SO MUCHWink

you will have difficulty adjusting tyre pressure to suit conditions/riding style?

Not a clever Idea its like riding with Bricks for wheels...

They are so hard you will break your bones....

For road use now that is a different story

It's a DEFINATE NO NO!!!

Permatubes are fine for little kiddies bikes, but in general they have several negatives:

1. Very heavier than tyre liners & sealant

2. They stuff up your tyres much faster, i.e. the tread does not last

3. They mess up your rear derrailleur (jockey)

4. Due to the  fact that they are very difficult to fit or remove, you run the risk of damaging your rims.

So tyre liners & sealant (various products available) are a MUCH better AND cheaper option.

Of course the ultimate is doing a tubeless conversion, It might be a large innitial $$$$ outlay, but in the long run by far  the least effrot / problems / punctures 

WorcesterWheelers2009-07-22 03:30:06

How do they damage your d?railleur though?

I'm not 100% sure why, but I'll ask my mechanic and get him to explain it to me, all I know is that quite often when we get customers in with cheaper  bikes that have been using permatubes the rear der. is badly bent.

Most probably because of the extra strain to rotate the extra weight of the much heavier wheel.

May JB can help here?

How do they damage your d?railleur though?

I'm not 100% sure why' date=' but I'll ask my mechanic and get him to explain it to me, all I know is that quite often when we get customers in with cheaper  bikes that have been using permatubes the rear der. is badly bent.

Most probably because of the extra strain to rotate the extra weight of the much heavier wheel.

May JB can help here?
[/quote']

I reckon it's pure coincidence...

don't do it!  You are gona rattle yourself and your bike to bits!

It will be a very harsh ride......don't think it is worth it.

• 8 years later...

very old thread I know but didnt see the need to start a new one, I am looking for perma tubes for my son's bike. 14" seems to be hard to find does anyone know where I could get? or even tubeless 14" tyres?

@Peds. I know this does not answer your problem , but possibly consider tyre liners if you cannot find perma tubes. If you put in a double layer of tyre liner, a tbs full of baby powder (prevents snake bites) and a slime tube (even on you add slime/juice yourself), you'll need a few sticks of TNT to puncture it.

I'm not 100% sure why, but I'll ask my mechanic and get him to explain it to me, all I know is that quite often when we get customers in with cheaper  bikes that have been using permatubes the rear der. is badly bent.

May JB can help here?

Hi, no evidence to support this, i manage a bike shop and i have seen what you are referring  to and  its basically someone not looking after their bike.... it has nothing to do with a perma tube..

however i do agree its not the best option for a bicycle over 20"

Hi, no evidence to support this, i manage a bike shop and i have seen what you are referring  to and  its basically someone not looking after their bike.... it has nothing to do with a perma tube..

however i do agree its not the best option for a bicycle over 20"

or more likely a rider who is not aware of how to shift under load ... and would also more than likely be on a elcheapo makro type bike using a der hanger and rear der that would bend in a light South Easter Breeze