Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Oh no, the great Campagnolo Corsa Record Delta brake caliper debate. The haters who can't afford them and the lovers who like to boast!

I have a few bikes with Delta calipers 2-4 generation and the effectiveness is primarily determined to how they are set up and as DJR says the quality of the blocks. Unfortunately they take time to set up property but the time and effort spent on the setup will allow one to enjoy them.

:whistling:  That makes me both a lover and a hater. The lottery-win bike collection would feature them without a question. But I wouldn't ride them ever again, beyond anything short and ceremonial.

Optimally setup, they work ok-ish. For a short period. Then you have to optimally set them up again. A pain in the bottom, even with the generation 4 and 5 improvements. Thank god for love's blindness, or they would all have been consigned to parts bins long ago.

A lovely summary, right here: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a28578374/campagnolo-delta-brake/

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From he article  :D  :D

“They seemed like they came from another planet where cycling gods forged Italian steel from Vatican jewels and a few locks from Cipollini’s mane.” He is being only slightly hyperbolic.

• 1 month later...
Don't know if it's been posted on this tread before, but thought I'll post it as I've wondered often about strength of the different steels..

What is stronger – Air-hardened steel or CrMo steel?

In terms of overall tensile strength, here is the order from strongest to weakest of common bike tubing steels:

1. Heat-treated air hardened steel (micro-alloy) (Reynolds 853, Columbus Foco, TrueTemper OXPlatinum)*

2. Heat-treated CrMo(Tange Prestige HT, TrueTemper Verus HT, Reynolds 725) and Niobium Micro-Alloy steel (Columbus Life)

3. Cold-drawn air hardened steel (Reynolds 631)*

4. Cold-drawn 4130 CrMo(Reynolds 525, TrueTemper Verus,  Tange Prestige/Infinity)

5. High tensile steel(cheap dept. store bikes, cheaper bike shop bikes)

* Air-hardened steels actually gain strength in the weld area after welding, but not along the whole tube.

• 1 month later...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/185777-work-of-art-bike-bike-of-artwork/

I didn't post it here because it is not a restoration, rather a re-birth of a 1970s / 80s frame into something altogether unique. For those interested in  the story behind the build, follow the link. All puristas, please note that no harm was done to the frame and it will be possible to build it into a geared road bike again.

post-17716-0-39468100-1591512597_thumb.jpg

If anyone has a 1” carbon fork that’s broken I’m happy to buy - I need a donor steerer to extent my star fork on my C40 Colnago

post-81229-0-10185400-1592046623_thumb.jpeg

If anyone has a 1” carbon fork that’s broken I’m happy to buy - I need a donor steerer to extent my star fork on my C40 Colnago

CBR in Durbanville extended a carbon fork for me by inserting a section in the middle of the steerer tube . You can use alu that has both ends machined down . If too much of a hassle send the bike this way ...

CBR in Durbanville extended a carbon fork for me by inserting a section in the middle of the steerer tube . You can use alu that has both ends machined down . If too much of a hassle send the bike this way ...

CBR are the ones who asked me for the donor tube - they refurbed the tatty star fork and I didn’t even think to measure it before sending it down

CBR are the ones who asked me for the donor tube - they refurbed the tatty star fork and I didn’t even think to measure it before sending it down

Kevin Wilkinson did some bike specific engineering for me in the past. I'm pretty sure he can extend that with either aluminium or carbon. He used to work for BMC, but then joined his family business while still keeping the small scale cycling engineering side going. Last contact I have is 082 466 4565.

https://ss-eng.co.za/about-us/

Edited by DJR

A few pages back i posted the silver & blue Jan Janssen roadbike that i purchased for my wife, it turned out te be a '97 Paris-Roubaix, made in Columbus Thron tubing and the frame was in very good condition - no dent or whatever! I asked my wife what to do with it, just make it useable or make it better then new, well i guess the answer is starting to form;

post-159581-0-96080100-1592733153_thumb.jpg

post-159581-0-96523900-1592733163_thumb.jpg

post-159581-0-62496100-1592733176_thumb.jpg

The (powder)coat is iceblue over silver flake, with thickness of the blue varying over the frame, at the lugs the blue is thicker, going thinner towards the middle of the tubes.

The build will be a 2x10 mix of Ultegra and 105, with Hope RS4 hubs, DT spokes and classic Ryde Chrina rims.

More to come!

A few pages back i posted the silver & blue Jan Janssen roadbike that i purchased for my wife, it turned out te be a '97 Paris-Roubaix, made in Columbus Thron tubing and the frame was in very good condition - no dent or whatever! I asked my wife what to do with it, just make it useable or make it better then new, well i guess the answer is starting to form;

attachicon.gifIMG_20200619_174757589_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20200619_174804910_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20200619_174822001_HDR.jpg

The (powder)coat is iceblue over silver flake, with thickness of the blue varying over the frame, at the lugs the blue is thicker, going thinner towards the middle of the tubes.

The build will be a 2x10 mix of Ultegra and 105, with Hope RS4 hubs, DT spokes and classic Ryde Chrina rims.

More to come!

love that paint job, keep us updated

A bit of a side topic here. I'm looking to respray my vintage roadie however the original colour scheme might not really be exciting enough to re-introduce. So I would like to find some pictures of paint jobs which I can take some inspiration from. Are there any social media accounts, videos, or outlets that have really wonderful sprays? I've done some looking around and the only place with really pretty bike images is pinterest for some reason, albeit most of them were track bikes, which cold suffice to some extent. Cheers.

attachicon.gifIMG_20200619_174757589_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20200619_174804910_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20200619_174822001_HDR.jpg

More to come!

This came out beautiful, well done.

A bit of a side topic here. I'm looking to respray my vintage roadie however the original colour scheme might not really be exciting enough to re-introduce. So I would like to find some pictures of paint jobs which I can take some inspiration from. Are there any social media accounts, videos, or outlets that have really wonderful sprays? I've done some looking around and the only place with really pretty bike images is pinterest for some reason, albeit most of them were track bikes, which cold suffice to some extent. Cheers.

I'm sitting with the same scenario. I will receive a modified classic frame back from David Mercer soon. It's a 2001 Cervelo Prodigy. It will need a respray or new colour  :ph34r:.

I've sprayed frames before, I'm a hobbyist painter (not professional). 

It is quite difficult to find something, as the classic steel frame tubes are thin in comparison with the new carbon frames, thus what looks good on the new does not necessary look good on our vintage frames.

I search google "images" for "custom steel frame paint" etc.. Also have a look at "Zullo" bikes for ideas (https://www.zullo-bike.com/telai-per-bici-da-corsa/pantarei/)