Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

Looking for some help...

This is my pet project, the fork will be chromed and have some Velocity Deep V wheels that'll go with it.

The shifters have seen some life - mechanically still in very good condition.  However, the caps require some repainting and from what I can tell, the clear coat on the levers are coming off. I'm going to lightly sand the dust caps and respray.  Do I then just sand and polish the levers?

Anyone know where I can get 5500 hoodies?

Have a left name plate for sale

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/379883-spares-spares/

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have purchased an oldish frame for a cool "Look" project. As usual I have jumped the gun and bought stuff without consulting google or le Hub.

Now I need help and google is arguing with what I want done

To get the bike looking the way I wanted I tracked down and bought some Rolf Vector comp wheels - apparently it's not as easy as replacing the freehub and my knowledge is super limited.

According to my searches, sell the wheels and buy some Campys. Please don't suggest this, these wheels have to stay even if its a rebuild.

What I want is someone to tell me what to do please

3 pics

what I bought

what I want

the troublesome wheels

So many great Look designs to pick from.

Try finding an original Look fork for the bike.

So many great Look designs to pick from.

Try finding an original Look fork for the bike.

Luckily it came with the original - last owner found a hole it so he put on this fork. It's not serious and will be an easy repair for CBR - I've definitely sent them worse repair jobs

The LeJeune, Davids' daily commuter, needed a major service. It works hard and the Cape winter is tough on a bike like that. It got new bartape, chainrings, cassette and chain as well as a new saddle. I spent a little time cleaning up the rusty spokes on the front wheel with tin foil and wiping with a wax car polish to slow down the next round.

Question: Is my method above the best? I would prefer not to rebuild the wheel with better stainless spokes.

post-17716-0-75673000-1572266381_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-54709300-1572266397_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-87974400-1572266410_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Seeing the old LeJeune every day, parked inside the front door, makes it easy to forget that it is a great looking old classic. It has changed over the last 2 years from being a very "techniclour" bike with red, blue, green and black, to a very simple and  stylish black & green. It's hard to believe that a 30 year old bike is still so solid. 

post-17716-0-31597800-1572266852_thumb.jpg

Once the rust has started on spokes there's really nothing much that can be done to stop it coming back. I use ACF-50 to coat the spokes but that's only good until the next soap wash then needs to be reapplied. It work fine for vintage bikes that are only used on sunny days but less effective for commuters that brave all weather.

Took this old damaged Delange 653 and gave it a new life.

Is that more of Andrew's work?

Yes it is. I will post a few more close ups just now.

He does an insane job, the best I've seen in a long time.

A few more images before the build and with old wheels before I had the new ones built.

The top tube had kinks in it from an accident the previous owner obviously had.

I sent the frame down to Dave Mercer who replaced the top tube and made sure the frame was aligned.

He did an amazing job.

Then sent in for paint with Andy Harris (AH Designs) in Pinetown, he does some quality work.

Colour scheme was inspired by the Wilier Triestina.

Can't seem to get the last 2 images to rotate.

post-35520-0-16752300-1572330420_thumb.jpg

post-35520-0-70840200-1572330305_thumb.jpg

post-35520-0-50082400-1572330313_thumb.jpg

I have spent some time just going through this thread ...and I must add that I am no bicycle fundi or even go gaga over bicycles , yes I do ride a MTB and really enjoy it BUT I am more of a restore old cars kinda toppie...BUT..BLIKSEM!!!....

I am VERY IMPRESSED by these restored/rebuilt/refurbished bikes form the 80,s and even further back...AND the histories that go with them and the knowledge that is prevalent here ...i say HUGE RESPECT and SALUTE!!!...to the workmanship and TIME being spent on these grand ole Ladies!!!...AND yet , many IF not all of them are still ridden over fairly large distances still...

I mean you chaps even know the history of a washer!!...where it was manufactured...date..etc etc,,,,...mind blowing!!!....

I am a great fan of watching cycling races on the box and will be a great fan of this thread ...

Keep it up...you guys are truly officers and gentlemen of the SA cycling fraternity!!!