Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

beautiful please dont "restore " it 

original vintage attitude is so much nicer than resprayed  - just clean /derust /service bearings etc and replace cable /tires then  nice wax polish and you can hold your head up proud at any vintage ride 

those parts are pretty nice zeus isnt campy (but it was a determined copy ) and it will all polish up beautifully even that old bottle cage and saddle bag are collectable 

keep it original it was from your dad its something to save  👍

Edited by bikebloke

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus: Deale & Huth is a real piece of SA cycling history. Yes, keep it, clean it up, service/rebuild it front to back, but keep it original.

Edit: And ride it every now and then! 

Edited by DJR

3 hours ago, peepeekaitjie said:

whats going on with the seat tube/top tube juncture? zoom is too blurry

Just cardboard, to stop it from scuffing when it hung in the garage for plenty years. 

56 minutes ago, bikebloke said:

beautiful please dont "restore " it 

original vintage attitude is some much nicer than resprayed  - just clean /derust /service bearings etc and replace cable /tires then  nice wax polish and you can hold your head up proud at any vinatge ride 

those parts are pretty nice zeus isnt campy (but it was a determined copy ) and it will all polish up beautifully even that old bottle cage and saddle bag are collectable 

keep it original it was from your dad its something to save  👍

I also found out today that Zeus, in cycling terms, is not the Greek God, but is a Spanish brand! I found their brochure on https://velobase.com/Resource_Tools/CatalogScans.aspx. I could make out 1% of wqhat's written in there, but this must've been gold in the 1970s.

Before you do anything please consider whether you want to keep the bike original and keep its sentimental value or if this is not high on your agenda whether you want to spend lots of money restoring her. Please give me a call if you want some honest advice. Steve 0730693979

My Brother used to race in the early 90's for the SADF and is moving to the UK.  I helped him clear out his garage yesterday and found this all wrapped up.   Take it he said - I was going throw it out anyway!

The only thing missing is the original wheels - he says they went missing years ago so he replaced them with some Mavic SUP rims on period 105 hubs.

Think I'm going to clean it up and hang it on a wall somewhere!

20230319_165400.jpg

20230319_165412.jpg

20230319_165424.jpg

20230319_165446.jpg

20230319_165541.jpg

On 3/17/2023 at 7:00 PM, Loose cog said:

Before you do anything please consider whether you want to keep the bike original and keep its sentimental value or if this is not high on your agenda whether you want to spend lots of money restoring her. Please give me a call if you want some honest advice. Steve 0730693979

Pm sent.

5 hours ago, Andymann said:

My Brother used to race in the early 90's for the SADF and is moving to the UK.  I helped him clear out his garage yesterday and found this all wrapped up.   Take it he said - I was going throw it out anyway!

The only thing missing is the original wheels - he says they went missing years ago so he replaced them with some Mavic SUP rims on period 105 hubs.

Think I'm going to clean it up and hang it on a wall somewhere!

20230319_165400.jpg

20230319_165412.jpg

20230319_165424.jpg

20230319_165446.jpg

20230319_165541.jpg

By all means hang it somewhere good, but ride it every so often. Best is to take it out when your mates are all riding their plastic wonders and then not just keep up with them, but make them hurt for the privilege to hang with royalty! (You did see my tongue somewhat in my cheek for the last part, didn't you?) 

Edited by DJR

11 minutes ago, DJR said:

(You did see my tongue somewhat in my cheek for the last part, didn't you?) 

Actually watched a GCN vid last night where Si tested an old Eddy Mercx against a modern entry level bike and the Mercx was quicker.

As we say in the Motorbike industry "wiped it down with an oily rag".  Was tempted to take it for a rid up and down the street but decided against it.  Now just for some Celeste bar tape and cables and it will be ready for display.

20230320_152704.jpg

On 3/17/2023 at 2:22 PM, mecheng89 said:

Good afternoon, vintage Hubbers!

So, I scored this old bike from my dad when they started doing renovations a few weeks ago, but I've only had time now to upload the pics.

20230310_175940.jpg.ff17f071fffb816da28f03e572f22a48.jpg

What a gorgeous old girl, I fell in love at first glance. I agree fully with the others sentiments here, just clean her up and give her a fresh service and she'll be good for many more years. I can hear those bearings begging for fresh grease.

A great bike to use at the Eroica event in Montagu next month as well 🙂

While away this weekend i spotted these 2 bikes just hanging in an old barn (which looks like it used to be a barn/pub on the farm). Not sure what they are worth or of there were others in the barn. Pics not the best, but I took them in a hurry.

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

27 minutes ago, Swift01 said:

While away this weekend i spotted these 2 bikes just hanging in an old barn (which looks like it used to be a barn/pub on the farm). Not sure what they are worth or of there were others in the barn. Pics not the best, but I took them in a hurry.

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

That Alpina is the same/similar colourway to the one I had. Back in the early 90's I paid R1400 for it at Kyalami Cycles. Man I loved that bike, even though it was to big for me.

EE6350B7-309A-43D1-8D81-5E79897C8BC6.jpeg

Edited by The Ouzo

11 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

That Alpina is the same/similar colourway to the one I had. Back in the early 90's I paid R1400 for it at Kyalami Cycles. Man I loved that bike, even though it was to big for me.

EE6350B7-309A-43D1-8D81-5E79897C8BC6.jpeg

great pic...classy gloves by the chap you out sprinted.

13 minutes ago, Jakkals. said:

great pic...classy gloves by the chap you out sprinted.

hahaha. That was my first ever race. I was in agony. Furthest training ride was probably 15 or 20km.

Check my shorts and T-shirt. At least I had toe clips and a helmet.

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

hahaha. That was my first ever race. I was in agony. Furthest training ride was probably 15 or 20km.

Check my shorts and T-shirt. At least I had toe clips and a helmet.

😁 those patricks are the business