Retro Bicycle Thread

Delgado

I am starting a build project on a 1986/87 Bianchi Record 920. I need to find a full groupset from that era a Campagnolo Victory. Can anybody help me with possible sources where I can find such a groupset

post-1614-0-86110800-1409056432_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To all you classic restorers out there I have on my indoor training bike the ITM Handlebars and Yellow ITM BigOne stem from my 1996 Bianchi. I noticed a few days back that the paint was beginning to lift on the stem from my sweat which if not stopped will probably spoil it and render it useless for anyone who might one day want to restore a 1990's bike. Gives me an excuse to take it off and give it to anyone who wants it (with the bars too if they want them). I know it's probably not desirable now, but I restore old motorbikes as a hobby, and about 10 years ago someone offered me a Honda MBX50 which was gathering dust in their garage. I politely declined. Try and find a Honda MBX50 now for under R30K......I'm PTA based so if anyone does need it let me know.

I am starting a build project on a 1986/87 Bianchi Record 920. I need to find a full groupset from that era a Campagnolo Victory. Can anybody help me with possible sources where I can find such a groupset

Hi Broker, finding a full groupset in SA may be some what of a challenge but you can find parts from time to time. I have a Superleggra which I am yet to restore but will look at later period Campy groupset after selling off a C Record groupo a few months ago. Rear derailleurs are particularly had to find. I will see what parts I can find.

Just need a bit of inspiration here. Struggling to finish the frame. Need to get it properly sanded, but cant seem to get all the areas even (by this I mean, same amount of sanding etc. Don't worry, I wont touch the anodized areas. Don't have any pics with me today. and thinking Im going to start with sanding from beginning....or maybe a day's break will do me good.

Just need a bit of inspiration here. Struggling to finish the frame. Need to get it properly sanded, but cant seem to get all the areas even (by this I mean, same amount of sanding etc. Don't worry, I wont touch the anodized areas. Don't have any pics with me today. and thinking Im going to start with sanding from beginning....or maybe a day's break will do me good.

What is it that you are, or wanting to, sand???

What is it that you are, or wanting to, sand???

Its just the seat and chain stays...followed the same procedure as with the fork and crank set of my Alan. It looks ok and better than before, but just cant get it even ( 200, 450, 1000 and 1200 gritt). When I polish, some areas are smooth and shiny, while the rest are just dull. Was even thinking to spray them matt black plasti dip if I cant get it right.

Its just the seat and chain stays...followed the same procedure as with the fork and crank set of my Alan. It looks ok and better than before, but just cant get it even ( 200, 450, 1000 and 1200 gritt). When I polish, some areas are smooth and shiny, while the rest are just dull. Was even thinking to spray them matt black plasti dip if I cant get it right.

Don't spray plastidip or anything else on the frame.

Take your time and be patient, restoring a frame/bike is a labour of love.

More of us wouldn't be able to get our money back on our restoration projects, we do it because we love bikes.

If the areas are dull you probably haven't sanded enough or you may have to revert back to a rougher paper and then work your way back down to the finer ones.

I usually go down to 2000 grit, then use Brasso or Silvo and the Autosol metal polish for the final shine.

The other thing to take into consideration now that you have "Raw" aluminium you increase the chances of oxidization. Always keep a check and make sure you avoid that.

Fortunately you live inland so the risk is reduced.

Don't spray plastidip or anything else on the frame.

Take your time and be patient, restoring a frame/bike is a labour of love.

More of us wouldn't be able to get our money back on our restoration projects, we do it because we love bikes.

If the areas are dull you probably haven't sanded enough or you may have to revert back to a rougher paper and then work your way back down to the finer ones.

I usually go down to 2000 grit, then use Brasso or Silvo and the Autosol metal polish for the final shine.

The other thing to take into consideration now that you have "Raw" aluminium you increase the chances of oxidization. Always keep a check and make sure you avoid that.

Fortunately you live inland so the risk is reduced.

Thanks for this. Yeah must learn to be more patient then I guess :blush: Do you use the silvo AND Autosol on all the parts? Probably first the one and then the other? Going to get some more sanding paper after work today and then start again. I thought of selling the bike but that will never happen. Want to be proud of it wand want to ride it. Including the stripping of all the parts, and just the fork and cranks and frame up to now I spent close to 18hours (this is now including weekends and week nights) How would you avoid oxidation? just a regular check and polish?

post-35520-0-01982900-1409134719_thumb.jpgpost-35520-0-74746400-1409134736_thumb.jpgpost-35520-0-71843500-1409134743_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this. Yeah must learn to be more patient then I guess :blush: Do you use the silvo AND Autosol on all the parts? Probably first the one and then the other? Going to get some more sanding paper after work today and then start again. I thought of selling the bike but that will never happen. Want to be proud of it wand want to ride it. Including the stripping of all the parts, and just the fork and cranks and frame up to now I spent close to 18hours (this is now including weekends and week nights) How would you avoid oxidation? just a regular check and polish?

Just finished this on Monday night, took about 2 hrs.

I use the water paper to get all the scratches out, the Brasso is slightly abrasive, almost like rubbing compound a panel shop would use.

This takes out the very fine scratches left over. And lastly Autosol to give it a high shine.

To avoid oxidization make sure the frame stays dry, sweat is no. 1 cause.

So clean the parts with a moist cloth after every ride.

The correct way would be to Naturally Anodize the parts, but this is not practical for the frame you have.

Edited by quintonb

These higher end 80s bikes are a rare thing of beauty - lovely lines, elegant and easy on the eye.

It seems, ironically, that in that decade of excess, bicycles were such a pretty blend of form and function - as if they were really having their maker's personality somehow added to them.

This era will always be the benchmark for me for fine bicycles.

post-35520-0-01982900-1409134719_thumb.jpgpost-35520-0-74746400-1409134736_thumb.jpgpost-35520-0-71843500-1409134743_thumb.jpg

Just finished this on Monday night, took about 2 hrs.

I use the water paper to get all the scratches out, the Brasso is slightly abrasive, almost like rubbing compound a panel shop would use.

This takes out the very fine scratches left over. And lastly Autosol to give it a high shine.

To avoid oxidization make sure the frame stays dry, sweat is no. 1 cause.

So clean the parts with a moist cloth after every ride.

The correct way would be to Naturally Anodize the parts, but this is not practical for the frame you have.

I am sooooo searching for a seatpost like that........