Anyone know of DHC?

Tedibear and i are currently restoring a DHC bicycle that was gathering dust in a dark corner of The Guy in Pink's magnificent Bike Room.

I'm not gana lie it was blooming hard work or shall I say it IS hard work. Those guys took so much pride in their bicycles that the lugs are really intricate work (and it doesn't help that tedibear wants the frame one colour and the lugs to be slightly highlighted with a rather specific 3mm border), but I must say I haven't had this much fun since we threw turp soaked rags out the art class window over the train tracks back in college :lol:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember buyimg a "Benino ironman" from out neighbours in '93.

It had a 12 speed Shimano 105 and Exage Sport brakes, Sugino cranks...

Does anyone know where this bike came from?

BTW - It still is around somewhere at my folks I think - although I dod respray it (and probably butchered it in the process - the ignorance of youth)

• 1 month later...

G'day

I signed up specifically to say that the bike in Mark's posted picture is in fact mine, and now lives in Sydney, Australia. I've learned a little about the history of the brand via a few people on Aussie and US cycling forums. It was only recently I learned of the D&H/Basil Cohen/Gotti Hansom link to the makers. How it came to be over here is unclear, but given the flow of people across the Indian Ocean, its not a surprise.

So going by whats been said, Gotti may have made this frame? Its stamped with an 88 on the rear dropout, and had a full Shimano 600EX gruppo (1987 and 1988 date codes) on it when I got it. It's the only 501SL tubed bike I've ever seen in person, too, which is a nice rarity. Does anyone know if you can get repro Cicli Zini decals, cause I'd like to repaint this bike soon.

It wears a few updates, as you can see, and I really enjoy riding this bike.

bike%20updates%20005.jpg

Jim

Edited by AussieJim

>

<DIV>Zini ...originally Italian but a registered name first owned by Basil then later by Gotti.</DIV>

Heh heh...I still have an original Italian Zini hanging up in the garage...

• 2 weeks later...

<P>Thanks for the info guys, I just bought one yesterday for the reson of making it a Fixie or a SS. Any idea what colour schemes I can go with and if you still get the "backpeddle" braking sprockets. want the bike as clean as possible because at the moment, to be honest, it looks like <a href="mailto:k@k" target="_blank" rel="no follow">k@k</A>. Worst of all I paid R400</P>

SEND PIKCHAAAS!!!!

Framebuilder Duncan McIntyre was involved in building a lot of these frames mentioned in these postings.

Today he works for Francois du Toit (Master framebuilder and the original Le Jeune frame builder)in Bellville.

Duncan is also this country's foremost Track coach and is the coach of Team Intellibus in the Cape.

At the 2010 SA Champs the team won 11 SA Titles and a total of 32 medals.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is the right place, or if anyone can direct me to someplace more proper. I'm about to get my Zini repainted, and have started making photoshop repro decals. Given my limited skills, does anyone have any/know of any repro or original Zini decals about the place? I'm hoping to line up a well-known decal reproducer for the Reynolds decals, and if needed, the Zini decals.

Thanks.

Jim

Hansom Cycles was started by Gotty Hansen and Ettiene Somerjay. They started their plant in Cape Town in the late 60 and eventually moved to Alberton when they were bought out by Peugeot. They then bought it back and moved to Babelegi. Gotty built most of the bikes those days such as Hansom, Zini, Peugeot, Le Turbo ect.

Most of SA riders were on his products such as Alan van Heerden, Ertjies Bezuidenhout, Alan Dipple, Mark Beneke, Gary Beneke, Jannie van der Berg, Robbie Mc Intosh, Willie Engelbrecht all Rapport Tour winners and most of SA champions like Wayne Pheifer, Hennie Wentzel, Robbie Dale,Martin Stockit, Johny Koen and even myself. ect ect. It was a fantastic bike winning the most titles in Sa of all makes ever.

2 Great guys that done a lot for cycling in the early years.

• 1 year later...

Does anybody know of the cycle company DHC? louis08522009-08-06 10:14:54

I'm sorry I didn't see this post at the time it went up. I still have my track frame made in 1956 by W.O H. Huth. The shop was in Mainsteet - I think it was 149. We argued about the size of the frame - I wanted a 24" frame - and he said that he did not recommend a frame as large as this. He said that the largest frame he had made was a 23" - this being for George Eastman - who was the same height as me - but he agreed in the end to make it a 24". I asked for 74 degrees parallel - but the available lugs only allowed for a 72 degree seat tube angle In 1958 I had a road bike made by DHC - but this is long gone - i sold it in 1962. I had a long and regular exchange of letters with Mr Huth between 1956 and 1062. Deale was the financier the silent partner - Huth the engineer. Interestingly one of his earlier business ventures was the Fontana Bakery - which he started in the late forties in Hillbrow. My track bike was No. 112 and he told me that it was one of a batch of three frames made at the same time. The other two - 111 and 113 - were for Jimmy Swift and Bobby Fowler - for their participation in the Olympic Games track events of that year. Jimmy Swift won a bronze in the 1000m time trial with a time of 1:11:6. The last time I saw Mr Huth was in 1977 - when My brother Tom and I rode out see him at his house near Uncle Charlies. He was a serious student of history - and was spending his retirement writing a History of the World! Later, he gave my brother the wooden jig that he used to establish the frame angles and wheel clearances. All Huth's frames were made with Nervex lugs and Reynolds 531. There was a little transfer on the seat tube - a rider speeding headlong down a hill, with the legend below "Awheel and Away with Deale and Huth" Due to various crashes my track bike has had three sets of forks -two from Huth - the third were bought in 1976 from Basil Cohen, who had by then taken over the business. These are probably Carlton forks - as DHC wasn't being manufactured any more. The frame is being restored at the moment - but unfortunately i have lost the head badge - if anyone knows where I could find one I'd be very greteful. The design incorporated a winged eagle - with the letters DHC in the centre. You cen find me at learmont@iafrica.com

• 2 years later...

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k612/rebilda/IMG_1026_zpsdrwe3ut4.jpghttp://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k612/rebilda/IMG_1021_zps07dle1dp.jpgI found this frame, lurking in a Sydney, eBay listing. Now I have the job of finding all the missing pieces and putting it back together.

I think it will come up quite nicely.

Nice yellow frame and it looks to be in excellent condition!

I have two DHC bikes

Here a pic of a 60's or early 70's track bike with thin 351 tubing. I didn't do the restoration but acquired it earlier in the year. Still trying to find some old steel pista bars. The bike is used by my wife on the track and hence the newer crank and pedals. I have the original Zeus crank but it has a 51T chainring which is too difficult for her to spin.

post-44986-0-86111900-1436875469_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-96184300-1436875658_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-23914100-1436875669_thumb.jpg

Also have this late 70's early 80's frame I restored. It's great ride but I still need to get new decals for the frame.

The head badge was reattached and new chain added.

post-44986-0-41034000-1436875786_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-67304800-1436875865_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-80266600-1436876157_thumb.jpg

I have a headstock badge stashed away somewhere - took it off my DHC when I sprayed it back in 1987 and never put it back. If you are restoring a DHC, and you want a badge you're welcome to it - it deserves to go back on a frame.....

Not sure if this is the right place, or if anyone can direct me to someplace more proper. I'm about to get my Zini repainted, and have started making photoshop repro decals. Given my limited skills, does anyone have any/know of any repro or original Zini decals about the place? I'm hoping to line up a well-known decal reproducer for the Reynolds decals, and if needed, the Zini decals.

Thanks.

Jim