Do you lower your seatpost?

NotSoBigBen

Do you lower your seatpost when you get to a tricky steep downhill?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you lower your seatpost when you get to a tricky steep downhill?

• Yes always
    • Only if it's a long downhill
    • Can't be bothered to have to lift it again
    • I got a Janis Joplin type so no problem!

Often when I have read tips or advice regarding steep tricky downhills it is suggested to lower your seat. Just wondered how many people actually do that?

This is quite obviously aimed at 'normal' XC/trail types and not the DH/Hog 'free' riding or 'all' mountain types Wink

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

be careful where you position the remote for those gravity control posts, they can easily be confused with gear levers smiley23.gif

to answer your question, no, there's something rewarding about making down a descent with you tummy on the saddle. oh, and i can't afford a gravity post...

This is usually one of those hindsight things. After the tumble you lie there with a mouth full of dust and wish.........if only I had lowered my saddle.

Dude, I'm far from a DH rider! I don't have the balls for it - my wife has mine in her purse. Dead

I do drop the saddle every now and then, but normally I find that I can just move in behind the post. Where I like having the saddle low is for bunnyhops and jumping stuff in general.

One of the items on my list for my AM bike is this badboy here: http://www.rasebike.com/rapid.htm

At $350 it'll have to wait a little while though.

it takes about 2 minutes to spit out all the dust and collect your teeth , so my vote is to leave the saddle .

In my case, if it's that bad that I need to lower my saddle it doesn't matter cause I'll probably be walking/sliding down on my a$$ anyway Geek

Always. I have a KS Kobra so it's a bit easier, but mtb'ing takes on a new meaning on the downs for me and a saddle in the way just spoils the fun.

I run flatties, so lowering my seat gives me more leg travel for rough stuff and stops me from getting booted off the pedals on landings. It also lowers my centre of gravity which helps in corners, and allows me to throw my weight around more.

On non-technical or pedally descents it's not worth the effort though.

I never used to, but now i'm seriously thinking of getting one of those clever seat posts.

A few inches makes a huge difference....descending a lot easier I meant, especialy if the descent is long...

I used a Gravity Dropper and it was awesome. 27.2 mm seatpost. Does not fit my new bikeOuch. Any takers.

Naaah come on! you only need to lower the post If youre really wanting the style the jumps, then the saddle might get in the way, or fair enough If you have flats the bike wil drop away If you done "pump it".

It takes me Years to figure out which saddle height  is correct, I have so many lines on my seatpost by now, Everytime I drop it I have to figure it out again.

But In short no. I klap all the lines and the jumps at the bottom of tokai with seatpost up, stem upside down, No peak on my helmet and Full LycraBig%20smile

Naaah come on! you only need to lower the post If youre really wanting the style the jumps' date=' then the saddle might get in the way, or fair enough If you have flats the bike wil drop away If you done "pump it".

It takes me Years to figure out which saddle height? is correct, I have so many lines on my seatpost by now, Everytime I drop it I have to figure it out again.

?

But In short no. I klap all the lines and the jumps at the bottom of tokai with seatpost up, stem upside down, No peak on my helmet and Full LycraBig%20smile
[/quote']

Don't give the roadies any fashion ideas... you've at least got the go to match the (dodgy lycra) show. Full lycra and fistfuls of brakes down fire road descents do not a MTBer make smiley2.gif

Naaah come on! you only need to lower the post If youre really wanting the style the jumps' date=' then the saddle might get in the way, or fair enough If you have flats the bike wil drop away If you done "pump it".

It takes me Years to figure out which saddle height  is correct, I have so many lines on my seatpost by now, Everytime I drop it I have to figure it out again.

[/quote']
Don't give the roadies any fashion ideas... you've at least got the go to match the (dodgy lycra) show. Full lycra and fistfuls of brakes down fire road descents do not a MTBer make smiley2.gif

WHAT ? I diddnt get that cuz ?

my bike dont have brakes, just 5' and a recless driver
Bos2009-08-13 04:40:14

Ha ha ha, my saddle doesn't have a quick release so certainly aint gonna happen!!!

Then again, I'm a simple MTBer!!