Do you cycle to work and back daily?

Konaman

How many people on the hub cycle to work and back daily? How far do you ride daily? How long does it take you?What do you when it rain? Do you shower at work? What are the views of the other people at work - you are mad?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cycle every day (only new kiddo keeping me off the bike).

Shower at work

Staff thought I was mad, until they realised that I get to work faster on the bike (traffic).  Get begrudged respek for being so tough.

Runners at work feel inferior, that they have to train only once they have got through the traffic.

not daily, unfortunately i sometimes need to make some deadlines.

about twice a week, shower at work.

used to be much faster when i was in fourways and work in sandton. both locations changed, so car is faster, but i get to cycle on dirt, so still often do it.

i have run home from work a few times, leave either car/bicycle at home to get back to work the next day - so the runners can, but it just takes much more planning, and it would hep if the runners have bikes that they can leave on the other side to get back to where the car is the next day

i'm not tough at all, it's inly 13 kays and i do it for the enjoyment - have rain jacket always with me, and a christmas tree of lights.

I used to do a 11km ride to work and back almost daily. Would drive in on Mondays and drive home on Fridays, leave the car there for meetings and ride the rest of the time. Used to shower at the office.

I suppose I could still ride to the office, but that would mean getting the bike out of the garage, dragging it into the house, and riding the 2m from the bedroom to the study. I'm too lazy for that!

The people at the office thought I was mad at first, but they started to like the idea quickly, asking me lots of questions etc.

If you have the opportunity, I would definitely recommend it. Your fitness will improve quickly, and you'll feel great! Not only physically, but mentally. One of my routes used to be along the roads through Bryanston. I love going up the hill faster than all the cars, even though my lungs were dragging in the dirt behind me.

I will be as soon as spring hits CT. Did it last spring / summer and on sunny days now. It's a 11k's there, 43 if I go via Stellenbosch.

Can't wait!

SOmetimes Cry will be more once I get this flu off my chest and they fix up Marine drive

15K's to work and at 5 20 in the morning traffic 0 Thumbs%20Up

afternoons all depends on what time I leave work I get the rush hour which can be a bit hair rasingPinch

used to, as per HOG - shower at work doesn't have a rose anymore, so I either need to buy one for the office, or wait until boss man does.

Used to drive in mondays, and drive back on fridays while leaving the car there during the week. I have meetings all through the day, so riding in on monday morning isn't really an option. I have been missing it though.

used to' date=' as per HOG - shower at work doesn't have a rose anymore, so I either need to buy one for the office, or wait until boss man does.[/quote']

Did you actually persuade yourself that this is a good excuse? Buy one, install it, done.

With me the shower was clogged from building rubble when they renovated the building. Drove home during lunch, put the plunger in the car. Next morning I solved the problem myself.

Im trying to get a shower/ change area just for cyclists , namely me LOL

but boss is not biting and the staff dont keep theres clean so no ways showering thereDead

used to' date=' as per HOG - shower at work doesn't have a rose anymore, so I either need to buy one for the office, or wait until boss man does.[/quote']

Did you actually persuade yourself that this is a good excuse? Buy one, install it, done.

With me the shower was clogged from building rubble when they renovated the building. Drove home during lunch, put the plunger in the car. Next morning I solved the problem myself.

*sheepish grin*

it was more the fact that I don't know how much longer I'm going to be there for... saying that, the R100 I'll need to shell out for a rose will be made back in 2 weeks of commuting, thanks to saved petrol.

No.

a)Because I live in Bedfordview and my office is in Sandton - the only access is via a 4 lane freeway - soon to be 5 lanes - Go figure.!!

b)I see clients all day and need to wear a suit and good shoes, lycra and takkies is not a great corporate confidence booster.

c)I usually only leave the office after 6 or 7 pm at night.

d)I drop my daughter off at school on route, even that usually freaks her out a bit, no way she is gonna ride pillion.!!

e)I have no interest in cycling to work, my business is stressfull enough, I dont need to complicate matters by dodging trucks, puddles, pedestrians and the odd animal every morning and evening.

Besides, I have a very comfortable car with an effecient heater and air con, a great radio / Cd player and a neat foldaway coffee cup holder, which means I can usually stop at the local Fournos and STILL be at work before 8am.!!

porky2009-08-22 07:43:03

In the ?summer I try use my bike 2-3 times a week to commute to the office: from 'the hill' down to Rosebank, about 7 k's, and a couple of different options but cycling down through the tree-lined avenues of Houghton is always a pleasure, as is the evening ride as long as its still light. I stick to back roads, parks and pavements where possible. I use my other Cannodale, a F500 fitted with LED lights.

BUT on average at least once every trip I avoid being killed by a motorist by taking pre-emptive action. Cars turning in front of you, pulling out in your path, generally they just dont see you or disregard you as having any road rights at all. All that is a bit stressful since quite a bit of fluking results, but mostly I always arrive at work on a upper after the ride in. Since I dont have to dress up for work, I just wear loose well-ventilated clothing to cool down, though might take change of undies with for obvious reasons. I dont have shower facilities at work.?

The worst culprits in terms of these near-death experience inducing cars are women drivers in SUV's generally talking on their cell phones, and all hues of skin pigments apply. Sorry for the generalistion but its true.?

Jouburg roads are not for the faint-harted cyclists: they are down-right dangerous. Never take anything for granted when you see a car, expect them not to have seen you.

kosmonooit2009-08-22 11:59:16

I ride 22km (44km return) per day (I aim for three days per week, but sometimes its 2 and sometimes 5).  You can check out a KML file (Google Earth) depicting my route and some thoughts on the experience at http://geotrails.blogspot.com  Its a blast!

Im going to try doing the commute to work its 24km one way.

The only bugger is that we dont have shower facilities at work so I would have to stop off at my inlaws for a shower and then ride the last bit in work clothes!!

How many people on the hub cycle to work and back daily? How far do you ride daily? How long does it take you?What do you when it rain? Do you shower at work? What are the views of the other people at work - you are mad?

Yes, and have been doing it for close to 25 years now. But, to answer your questions, here goes:

Unfortunately not far enough, only 9kms.

about 15 minutes.

Duh! I get wet!

No, I do not quite work up enough of a sweat.

The younger generation usually come to me for cycling info. I have convinced quite a lot of people to take up cycling, including my 50 year old line manager!

steynja2009-08-23 15:00:11