The Ultimate Shimano/Campagnolo Challenge

Guest Big H

Hi Guys Checked out a route yesterday near Harties!!!!

Must be honest, I would not ride there but then again over the week end it should be quiter.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which route, SH? Some are scary and should be avoided at all costs. The one from R55 to Harties past Hennopspride is death...

Which route' date=' SH? Some are scary and should be avoided at all costs. The one from R55 to Harties past Hennopspride is death...[/quote']

R55 makes Roubaix cobbles look like a highway, not to mention drivers of dubious ability and practically non existent shoulder for large parts

Only rode there once & took a tumble on the slick sections where the wheels have hollowed the road. Caused a guy to write off his car going into the rear of a truck trying to avoid my spill in front of them. I will never ride there again.

Which route' date=' SH? Some are scary and should be avoided at all costs. The one from R55 to Harties past Hennopspride is death...[/quote']

Wolfie, thats the one. I will be riding around that area again on Sat or Sun (when the roads are a lot quiter) to find a safe 'loop'.

The aim of my initiative is not only to erect signs, but to create Cycle Safe Routes. Can you guys suggest a loop of aprox 40-60km on fairly good roads preferably with a shoulder.

Guest Big H

I am really disappointed in you lot of cyclists..... thanx to all who donated for a sign ..... there are 2408 members on this board..... subtract 1000 for all the double names like Boela and BIG MAMMA and surely the latest clown sammajoor and you are left with 1500 active cyclists. A sign is quite cheap if you measure it with the price of your bike. the sign WILL increase awareness with road users. This is only the beginning of an initiative that WILL expand like the circles formed by a pebble dropped in water. Guys you do not have to sponsor the whole sign as no regocnition is given to anyone. You can just pay in R50-00 as your contribution. Come on..... even a small contribution will help to generate awareness about cyclists. This will lead to a safer environment for all of you!!!!!!

Personally I think our Gov is screwing us enough! Not doing their job for them, never!

Guest Big H

Beter as die oningeligtes you doodry op jou fiets!!!!! Hier is een manier waarmee jy mense se koppe kan verander oor fietsryers en jy blameer die regering !!!!!!!!! .... jy is erger as die "poeples" wat "apatait" vir aller blameer!!!!!!

...Can you guys suggest a loop of aprox 40-60km on fairly good roads preferably with a shoulder.

We normally do an N4 tollroad from PTA, over Saartjiesnek, straight through Schoemansville, through tunnel.

A couple of options in this regard:

Left: Over the hill, past Cosmos and left to go over the dam wall. At t-junction left past Pecan Wood and staight with this road either up to Santa Barbara (also a good way to come towards the dam from Jhb North side) or back to the N4 tollroad.

Right: Past Mount Amanzi, up to Brits road t-junction, right over Silkaatsnek and either straight (van der hoff) or right at the 1st opportunity. 

Thinking about it now: How about a sample of this over the weekend? We can arrange to meet somewhere close to the dam and do a couple of options? On the bike of course...Maybe get a couple of hubbers to join us?

Personally I think our Gov is screwing us enough! Not doing their job for them' date=' never![/quote']

Nomad, I understand your frustration and respect your opinion.

However, if we all adopt the same attitude, we are actually doing ourselves, our children and our grand-children an injustice. To expect the government to erect signs and bicycle paths when there are thousands of people that do not have the basics that you and I take for granted. Basics such as water & sanitation, never mind a decent roof over our heads. The little things we do as a thoughtful & respectful society will make others sit-up and take notice, even the Government. As they say and I quote "TWO WRONGS DONT MAKE A RIGHT'.

OomH, thanks once again for your efforts. It is HIGHLY appreciated.Clap

and not forgeting those whom have unselfishly contributed in making cycling safer for their fellow cyclists!!Clap THANK YOU!!
shaunh2007-05-17 06:05:56

...Can you guys suggest a loop of aprox 40-60km on fairly good roads preferably with a shoulder.

Thinking about it now: How about a sample of this over the weekend? We can arrange to meet somewhere close to the dam and do a couple of options? On the bike of course...Maybe get a couple of hubbers to join us?

Eish EB, have not ridden since the weekend before the memorial ride. Actually took my bike to the LBS yesterday to get her dusted off to start again (putin' on the kilo's like you won't believe).

I tell you what, get a couple of guys together and I will do support vehicle in my 'Patrol' vehicle, hows that?