What to make of comment...

AndreZA

Hey BobbieSmile, the secret is to know what you want when you step into the shop.

I've been cycling quite a few years now and the first 3 or 4 years i was quite clueless as to what i wanted when i went to my lbs. So i stood uhm-ing  and ah-ing and looked a bit daft i guess. (i mean...if there was something wrong with my deraileur i would say something like "...there's a thingy at the back somewhere that keeps making a noise...so do you know what it is and can you fix it please?...")

And especially when you go to buy stuff - if you just say i want ...hmm, shoes for example;they can sell you any nonsense they want or on the flip-side of the coin, issue you with the most expensive stuff available and possibly you won't even be happy with what you purchased

So do a bit of 'research' before going so you can do your shopping with convidence - tell them that you are going to need the shoes for road-cycling, you're not a very competetent cyclist...so not necesarily going to need top of the range products, tell them what you like and give them a price range that you will be able to spend on shoes.

Ask them for advice, but it's still your decision(sp?)

this is what i do and have no problems with getting exactly what i want nowadays, hope it helpsSmile

Thanks Nellie I totally agree with you.  I have only just upgraded to a road bike and i am still finding my "feet" so to speak.  I just wish that the bike shops here would explain things a bit better.  Everyone needs to crawl before they can walk.  I have tried to find out about a "basic mechanics" course for road bikes, so I can then learn the right terms etc.  but to this day, they keep all the info to themselves.  I do read up on the different parts etc, but when there is a squeak coming from an area whilst riding, I cant really pinpoint where its coming from (due to lack of know how).  The moment I start explaining about this "squeak its like the guys just "switch off" and sigh and take the bike in.  no details required from me whether its on the big chain ring, small one, when it happens etc.  T

The last time i took it in I got some sarcastic comment about whether i was sure if I knew how to change gears?? That just putting someone down because they are a novice and not what i call service...Angry (roars of laughter in the workshop.....)

so you can understand my frustrations.  anyone out there that can suggest a solution, i.e. bike manual....Confused

thanks again though Nellie, its nice to know that there is hope for me yet....LOL

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the shop gave an answer !! We can go and try and rip them appart but I am sure most people are happy to see that they actually cared enough to take the time and effort to reply to this .

After the shop's reply this thread died..wonder why...

because we have to work so that we can stop buying crap bikes.

Thanks for the response Gail but the condition of the bike is not the problem and I'm not ignoring the advise I received last night. The fact is customer hear what you guys say behind their backs. I even heard an insult about my other favourite bike shop but I will rather keep that to myself.

Okay, TOPIC CLOSED!!!

i think it's admirable that the shop took the time to offer an apology and state their case. It's when someone tries to duck & dive & pass the buck & lie etc. that really gets my gander up!! Well done to them. Had they not I would be the first to shout "boycott" as this is the only  way to rid the market of scam artists!!

Hi All

We apologise if we offended anybody!

No bikes deserve to be called names - it was a tactless slip and we apologise.

Should anybody have any queries please dont hesitate to contact me

Regards' date='

Gail

[/quote']

Thank you for being forthright in your response Gail. I am pleased you dealt with the complaint even if doing so put the bike-shop name in the public domain. Until your response, it was just an anonymous shop "in Greenside".<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Good luck, you have had some bad early press and I trust that you will be working overtime to restore your reputation, something that can only be done by providing a better service product than your competitors.  I hope be the beneficiary of that effort.

I am also pleased that I took up your invitation to contact you as I have long been looking for a service orientated in my neighbourhood. I liked what I heard and look forward to giving you the benefit of the doubt with my troublesome bike.

ian

bobbie...

Okay - you're still new to the road cycling scene, so give yourself some time to catch up chic!SmileThumbs%20Up You learn stuff as you go along. Also as you ride more you will get to know your bike better and be able to tell what's wrong sometimes

Manuals/magazines and books can help you to a certain extent (but i seriously doubt that you will want to sit with load of books to try figure out your bicycleConfused) The best way to learn is to ride your bike, and chat to other cyclists while training - you will be surprised at how much info you get when you listen to the guys ranting and raving about their bikesWink

have fun girl!Big%20smile