Amashova Crash

Aurora

i wonder if the indemnity covers lack of due diligence on behalf of the organizers.If the knew' date=' or rather if anyone knows that a mat not secured, a mat that MUST be crossed by all contestants I must add, has a very high risk of an accident, then i truly doubt the indemnity applies. Then it's a case of either wilful or unwilful negligence.

Any wigged ones here to give us some guidance?

[/quote'] Question of negligence and the test of the reasonable man should apply!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, this is bad.

I was amazed to see the disorganization at this race, no expo, no goodie bag, "sorry we do not have any t-shirts in your ordered size"(why have those sizes then on the website, and it is not that they run out, they NEVER had anything bigger than L) no info on road closures, so a visiting person can find their way to PM in the morning...

......and now this is just the cherry on the cake...

VERY badly organised and managed race....

Hope these guys heal up quick

smiley18.gif coenie2009-10-18 12:55:03

To see these pics is incredibly sad. The organisers contract out the job for the timing mats out. Its the same guys who put them down at all the racetec timed races. They will be at the 94.7 as well and were at the Argus. When you sign for the race you indemnify the organisers from anything going wrong. But all that this does is make it harder for you to claim, because they cannot indemnify themselves against their own negligence- in this case the negligence must be on the timing people, not the actual organisers themselves?  

Guest Michelle

Elite mens photos have been loaded here

The crash smiley19.gif

http://www.kingofbling.co.za/images/stories/michellecound/races/2009%20Amashova%20Elite/header.JPG

Jamie Ball - back injury

http://www.kingofbling.co.za/images/stories/michellecound/races/2009%20Amashova%20Elite/IMG_3880.JPG

Shaun Ward - Collarbone

http://www.kingofbling.co.za/images/stories/michellecound/races/2009%20Amashova%20Elite/IMG_3887.JPG

Dan Craven - Collarbone (at least he managed to crack a smile!)

http://www.kingofbling.co.za/images/stories/michellecound/races/2009%20Amashova%20Elite/IMG_3888.JPG

Dennis van Niekerk - Fractured Pinarello

http://www.kingofbling.co.za/images/stories/michellecound/races/2009%20Amashova%20Elite/IMG_3937.JPG

Unfortunate about the accident' date=' but most people I spoke to had a great ride.[/quote']

It was tragic to have a race like this spoilt by this incident. I got a PB in this race (about my 5th Shova), and my mates all enjoyed the race. In the first shot you can actually see the mat lifting as Aaron Brown crosses it (to win) with Malcolm Lange to his right. They could also have been taken out. Also a pity about Dan Craven, one of the nice guys in the peloton- even manages a smile.  

...and Burry seemed to have just landed from a bunny hop, smiling

thanks Michelle and Pantani! Excellent pics here and in the galleries! Ronelle2009-10-18 23:07:18

Crazy stuff, how did they get it right to keep the mats in place in the Argus wind but not here. Looking at the pic with Burry in a i guess he bunny hopped over the mats.

Good luck in the recovery to all that got injured.

I think it is in instances like this where CSA should step in. They are afterall the governing body. Maybe issue a hefty fine to the orginizers or the timing company or both even. Or suspend the timing company say for 6 months. Or be even harsher and not allow this organizers to stage a race for say 3 years. Some how the organizers must be forced to look after the safety of the riders.

The fact that the mats blew up could be seen as a freak accident (I've never heard of it happening before) so whether the organisers should have taken steps to prevent it happening is arguable.  Given the speed at which the bunches come sprinting into the finish, however, I think the mats should have been secured adequately.

Be that as it may, what is really disgusting is that there weren't ambulances at the finish and riders had to wait over half an hour for medical attention!  How can that possibly happen, when everyone knows that crashes are likely to happen at the end.  Even for the funriders (before I get into trouble again) non-professionals who don't sprint into the finish in huge bunches could be in need of medical assistance.

The organisers stuffed up big time in this respect.  Angry

Eish, one of our DC ringers bites the dust....

Hope they all recover quickly, time off the bike really sux which I can corroborate. 

This is these riders livelihood, I'd be mega miffed if my Pinnerello got mullered.

Eish' date=' one of our DC ringers bites the dust....

Hope they all recover quickly, time off the bike really sux which I can corroborate. 

This is these riders livelihood, I'd be mega miffed if my Pinnerello got mullered.

[/quote']

I think they have more than enough pro's in that team...one would not make a difference.LOLWink