Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

the sqautters should just take their land...that way the cradle residents will get rid of all their two wheel nightmares

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Santa i think we are all too aware of the feeling towards roadies and in fact have been a roadie

for many years. But right now we dont need to be slinging mud at one another. WE that is the

entire cycling fraternity, roadies, mountain bikers and who ever else rides any form of bicycle

need to start working to change to mind set of the non cyclists. Yes easier said than done.

But as i stated in my first post, those who give a damn when you are out there and you see someone

doing something stupid, say something. Try and help that person to see how they could be being a

danger not only to themselves but to the rest of the cycling frat. Yes you are going to get the proverbial idiot who will tell

you to f off but if others out there do the same and make those p i's aware of how their actions effect

others who use the roads and that they could become just another stat or someone they know and care

about could be the next victim. An old man said to me once, A Sqeeking wheel eventually will get oiled.

I can only hope and pray that the examples i have set will keep my sons

safe out there and that they dont become another stat because of some other p i's actions.

WE the cyclists are the only ones that can change the mindset of non cyclists (motorists). It will take time and

patience and effort lots of it. And i dont think there could be any better time than right now.

For those that do give damn. Come on guys lets try and make a difference

This is where it all started, so it might as well end here. Here is a letter that has been sent to all residents of the cradle

--------------------------------------------------

To all Cradle residents

Late last year the cycling issue was out of hand and there were a number of incidents. A meeting was held at Teak place between a number of players mainly been residents and cyclist representatives.

This meeting was heated and the resolution was that I would represent the residents and work together with CGC , representative cyclist clubs and Metro to find a win win solution.

A few meetings took place, but the initiate was always from my side and at one stage Giovanni indicated that the meetings were a waste of time ,and the problem was with the road and if this was sorted out there would be no problems.

Cut a long story short. Metro promised to take a serious stand against cyclist’s who ride in the middle of the road, by ways of fines ect. This was backed by everyone who attended the meeting at Kloofzicht. (Ian jones can supply names)

A lawyers letter was also addressed to Cradle residents from a cyclyst. (on the hub)

To date nothing has happened and the situation is getting out of control and I have received many calls from resident’s wanting to know what’s going on.

When I took this on, there were many residents who said this was a waste of time and they had other ways of dealing with the problem. I still went ahead thinking that all the parties were serious.

The only parties I believe were serious were Ian Jones and Andrew Mclean.

Giovanni was never committed (in my opinion) and club 100 never attended any meetings.

I have sent letters to the following parties

· Mogale Metro

· CGC (Central Gauteng Cycling)

· Cradle management authority.

Mogale Metro - has not bothered to respond and from this we can take that they are not interested.

CGC – Giovanni passed this on to Joaquin from Valverde, and Joaquin’s response was that CGC had not disciplined any clubs and had no authority to do so. To quote from CGC website ‘CGC members are expected to adhere to the CGC code of conduct. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action being taken against the cyclist as well as the club and could include expulsion from the club” Apart from this Joaquin also contradicts himself about cyclist’s riding in the road. Joaquin’s main argument is that no one can discipline cyclists, and only the police can do this, and till that happens, residents must just live with it.

Cradle Management Authority

Events that take place in the cradle need approval from COH WHS (Cradle Management Authority) The MA at this time has no guideline’s for any events and this is not due anytime soon. In other words there is no management happening and it is a free for all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The conclusion is I am not going to carry on with this as it is a waste of time. I am happy to meet with residents to give them a more detailed report and other residents can take it from here.

What I can say is that if cyclists are going to come out here looking for trouble, please don’t complain when you get it right back.

I will post this letter on the hub.

I Ride the cradle every weekend and neighbouring areas, Road and MTB.

I have seen first hand how the large road cyclist groups take over the whole road with no regard for any other road users!!! :angry:

Sick!! No wonder the motorist/residents in the cradle hate the Roadies who use these roads for cycling.

Are the motorists/residents in the Cradle different to motorists/residents in other areas or are the cyclists different ?? Why is there such a focus on a specific area that requires special attention. ??

Are the motorists/residents in the Cradle different to motorists/residents in other areas or are the cyclists different ?? Why is there such a focus on a specific area that requires special attention. ??

I think its just specific to the discussion. But to be honest, the cradle residents have taken the initiave to highlight the issue and possibly seek a solution - thats not general with all areas.

The letter posted above, to me anyway, says it all, if you just read the below extracts you almost dont need to continue to see that apathy from those in positions to possibly make changes, or at the least influence others to change, is generally the main culprit, and cyclists / residents / motorists will have to find common ground on their own -

(1) Giovanni was never committed (in my opinion) and club 100 never attended any meetings.

(2) Mogale Metro - has not bothered to respond and from this we can take that they are not interested.

(3)Joaquin’s main argument is that no one can discipline cyclists, and only the police can do this, and till that happens, residents must just live with it.

I went out there yesterday, VERY FEW cars. Bikes keeping to left but obviously have to overtake slower riders so pass them to the right in the road.

Santa i think we are all too aware of the feeling towards roadies and in fact have been a roadie

for many years. But right now we dont need to be slinging mud at one another. WE that is the

entire cycling fraternity, roadies, mountain bikers and who ever else rides any form of bicycle

need to start working to change to mind set of the non cyclists. Yes easier said than done.

But as i stated in my first post, those who give a damn when you are out there and you see someone

doing something stupid, say something. Try and help that person to see how they could be being a

danger not only to themselves but to the rest of the cycling frat. Yes you are going to get the proverbial idiot who will tell

you to f off but if others out there do the same and make those p i's aware of how their actions effect

others who use the roads and that they could become just another stat or someone they know and care

about could be the next victim. An old man said to me once, A Sqeeking wheel eventually will get oiled.

I can only hope and pray that the examples i have set will keep my sons

safe out there and that they dont become another stat because of some other p i's actions.

WE the cyclists are the only ones that can change the mindset of non cyclists (motorists). It will take time and

patience and effort lots of it. And i dont think there could be any better time than right now.

For those that do give damn. Come on guys lets try and make a difference

Good words Big G...Lets hope things change the area!!

Most cyclists just would not be bothered and as a general rule they do not give a damn....... but they are the "voorsangers" when one get killed or hurt..... strange!!!!!!!!!!

i just dont know anymore. the stories of cyclists being knocked over/killed on the roads, other cyclists ranting on why do cyclists not obeying the road regulations goes on and on. and rightfully so, but what pisses me off the most is that the damn cyclists dont listen. and yes i posted that we should find the cause of the problem and stop it there, and it is still my opinion when it refers to an area like that cradle where you can do so.

but this morning i lost my patience. 2 cyclists on mountain bikes cycling along jg Stridom just pass the spar shopping centre, were cycling in the middle of the road, and with the traffic at a standstill were weaving through the cars. what the F#$% are you guys doing????

what pisses me off more is that not long ago we ranted on how stupid etc the guys that go on strike are and why do they vandalise and behave like monkeys (thanks mr roland schoeman), but how different are our very own cycling buddies?????

but this morning i lost my patience. 2 cyclists on mountain bikes cycling along jg Stridom just pass the spar shopping centre, were cycling in the middle of the road, and with the traffic at a standstill were weaving through the cars. what the F#$% are you guys doing????

what pisses me off more is that not long ago we ranted on how stupid etc the guys that go on strike are and why do they vandalise and behave like monkeys (thanks mr roland schoeman), but how different are our very own cycling buddies?????

Well if I have this right, your post says the cyclists weaved through stationary cars, and the strikers rioted. Seems these things are pretty different? Weaving through stationery cars is one of the plus points of commuting to work. Striking means not going to work at all.

Have I missed something here? :blink:

Ag yana, we still in this circle..... It doesn't matter what your mode of transport is at any given moment.

Road users do stupid things, full stop.

I don't need the stupid actions of other cyclists, like urinating in full view on the side the road or some resident telling me I'm not welcome in a specific area.

To define how I use the roads responsibly.

If anything, this whole toe to toe between selected members of cycling and Cradle Residents, illustrates the above point.

yep, whether you are communiting to work or having a morning ride, it is still very dangerous cycling and weaving through traffic. from what i had seen, they did not look like they were commuting to work (but i could be wrong).

the comparison to the strikers are that both cyclists and the strikers would not obey any form of rules and nor listen to reason.

yep, whether you are communiting to work or having a morning ride, it is still very dangerous cycling and weaving through traffic. from what i had seen, they did not look like they were commuting to work (but i could be wrong).

the comparison to the strikers are that both cyclists and the strikers would not obey any form of rules and nor listen to reason.

In reality though, you can run that comparison to any other road user.

I commute as regular as possible, on my route I hardly ever see a motorist stop at stop streets. On average, maybe 3 out of every ten.

I've been stopped at red robot at approx 17:30 and seen a cyclist come past me, and stop halfway into an intersection only when I yelled out "It IS still red"

Stupidity applies everywhere.

I know I don't use the roads absolutely 100% to the very letter of the law, and I daresay that no-one does.

People in general are ignorant and aggressive on the roads, that we see with all groups on the road.

I tend to ride with my own, extremely simple set of rules in traffic. They go something like this:

1. Respect the right of way of all road users: pedestrians, bikes, cars, buses, trucks, whatever (and take them to task when they don't respect yours)

2. Try not to obstruct traffic unnecessarily

3. If another vehicle has the potential to cross your path, try to know whether the driver has seen you or not.

4. If you do not know the answer to 3, assume they have not.

Once you ride by these rules, the rest falls into place. Riding mostly in bunches on the weekend tends to have a negative effect on the above set of rules.

Interesting exercise conducted in London recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHsEVXdrx2s&feature=related

Edited by Luke.