Price of Races

Thug

Guest colonel

I train for the race and plan for it. Clean the bike' date=' get my clothes ready and pack my cycle bag. After I think about the ride and download the info from my computer. Hours of fun and entertainment and all for R180.[/quote']

I hear you loud and clear great comment.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure if they don't hand out medals and goody bags it would be a lot cheaper to organise races.

the medals are about R15ea and goodie bags are sponsored and expired items from 3 months ago.

Guest colonel

ColonelYour point would have merit if 5000+ guys rode the mx race and not 50

I agree totally but that cost would not come down 1c even if 5000+ were racing.

The cost of races is the reason why we have decided to rather practice together as a group and go for something to drink at the wimpy afterwards.  Still have fun and it is much cheaper.  Entries becomes much more expensive if you are to in the family cycling like we do.

ColonelYour point would have merit if 5000+ guys rode the mx race and not 50

I agree totally but that cost would not come down 1c even if 5000+ were racing.

I don't agree with you there Colonel.

If the race has partial (or even full) road closure, the authorities would charge a flat rate. Likewise, providing medical support would also be on a flat rate basis.

Therefore the more racers that attend, the cheaper the unit price per cyclist would be, which should be reflected in the entry fee.

Sadly though, it isn't.

Gasping' date=' I'd like to introduce you to Mampara.

smiley36.gif
[/quote']

Check the time difference in the posts - Mampara is just having a laugh at my expense, I am sure.LOL

The cost of races is the reason why we have decided to rather practice together as a group and go for something to drink at the wimpy afterwards.  Still have fun and it is much cheaper.  Entries becomes much more expensive if you are to in the family cycling like we do.

Jip, same here Smile

And Epics cheap?

no the Epic is an elitist fun ride for people with too much money and time.  Entry to the epic for your LBS owner and his mate results in the prices of all his goods to sky rocket every year.  For mere mortals with 9-5 jobs, the epic was not designed.Wink

And Epics cheap?

?

no the Epic is an elitist fun ride for people with too much money and time.? Entry to the epic for your LBS owner and his mate?results in the prices of all his goods to sky rocket every year.? For mere mortals with 9-5 jobs' date=' the epic was not designed.Wink
[/quote']

Just out of curiosity, how much is it to enter the epic?

Guys, I have been talking about this for a long time wit all of my fellow riders.  It is expensive to race and is getting worse.  I tried running a bit and was amazed to see what I got for only R55 entry on a 21km race.  There was double the waterpoints; the goody bag kicked the Argus Tour's ass big time and we got a free T-Shirt.  Thats vallue for money. The cycle race organisers need to think volume and not max profit.  The lower the entry, the more riders = rise in turnover.

Maybe their is a race organiser - let me repeat - a honest race organiser that can give us a breakdown on the cost of a 100km race taking in account all sponsors.  O, and by the way, I can see when I read your comments why you are called a mamparra.  In afrikaans that is not a compliment......Wink

And Epics cheap?

?

no the Epic is an elitist fun ride for people with too much money and time.? Entry to the epic for your LBS owner and his mate?results in the prices of all his goods to sky rocket every year.? For mere mortals with 9-5 jobs' date=' the epic was not designed.Wink
[/quote']

Just out of curiosity, how much is it to enter the epic?

R25 000 for a team of 2 - that is entry only - then there are many other costs.

I can see when I read your comments why you are called a mamparra.? In afrikaans that is not a compliment......Wink

are you talking to me? I hope you're not talking to me because I'm the only one here. smiley7.gif

I can see when I read your comments why you are called a mamparra.  In afrikaans that is not a compliment......Wink

are you talking to me? I hope you're not talking to me because I'm the only one here. smiley7.gif

24 posts and still no sense of humour. How long do you think it will take?

TommieV, relax. I am not going to pick a new member, but don't open yourself up either. Mampara is well aware of what his name means in Afrikaans - ever heard of "tongue-in-cheek"?