Bad service by Cycle Lab at Sani2C

WGoosen

FYI I serviced my bike before the race, and washed and service after every stage. I rode everything (beside the rivers on day 2) and I had mechanical issues at all.

Tonight I will start a strip down and re-build of my bike after the sani, it will probably take about 2 evenings work, but who cares, I really enjoy doing it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my partner spent about 15-20 minutes after stag to check the bikes and lube where needed. If your bike is properly serviced beforehand I don't think you should need a mechanic to sort out minor mechanical problems during the race' date=' as for the stand, no sias didn't take it with. didn't fit in the boxBig%20smile[/quote']

What FOOL would pay MEGA dollars to enter a stage race.....only to rock up with a bike that is not 100% serviced??? I do not buy that arguement!

FAct: Bikes takes a hammwering...the only way you are going to be hassle free is if you carry your precious over each and every obstacle / mud patch/ river crossing....

If not, I'd like to know which machine will have no maintenance on the Sani...cause I'll buy one the very next day!! You cannot get a better advertisement for reliability after finishing this race without any problems...

If you saw the bikes I've seen at these events you'd k@k your brooks! people rock up with the scariest machines in poor state!

Me and my partner spent about 15-20 minutes after stag to check the bikes and lube where needed. If your bike is properly serviced beforehand I don't think you should need a mechanic to sort out minor mechanical problems during the race' date=' as for the stand, no sias didn't take it with. didn't fit in the boxBig%20smile[/quote']

What FOOL would pay MEGA dollars to enter a stage race.....only to rock up with a bike that is not 100% serviced??? I do not buy that arguement!

FAct: Bikes takes a hammwering...the only way you are going to be hassle free is if you carry your precious over each and every obstacle / mud patch/ river crossing....

If not, I'd like to know which machine will have no maintenance on the Sani...cause I'll buy one the very next day!! You cannot get a better advertisement for reliability after finishing this race without any problems...

If you saw the bikes I've seen at these events you'd k@k your brooks! people rock up with the scariest machines in poor state!

Unbelievable!!!  Why not rather stay home 1 year and use the enterance fee towards your machine???

I for one would not risk all the money and effort just to have a bike pack up on me due to poor maintenance...

Ya me too but I've heard all the excuses, "it has to get me thru, then I'll fix it before epic" but then you see the same dude at epic and nothing has been done to his bike...

I took my bike to Cycle Lab, and asked them to please check my gears. I had some gear slipping that I could not get Two bike shops to fix, I thought The Lab could help for they sounded more pro. The machanic told me my chain need to be replaced, The chain was only 1 week old did about 150Km. They could not fix the bike, after taking it bak to my LBS. they replaced the rear deralluer and booom, fixed, the rear deralluer was bent and nobody picked it up. I NOW SERVICE MY BIKE !!!!!!!!!!

I took my bike to Cycle Lab' date=' and asked them to please check my gears. I had some gear slipping that I could not get Two bike shops to fix, I thought The Lab could help for they sounded more pro. The machanic told me my chain need to be replaced, The chain was only 1 week old did about 150Km. They could not fix the bike, after taking it bak to my LBS. they replaced the rear deralluer and booom, fixed, the rear deralluer was bent and nobody picked it up. I NOW SERVICE MY BIKE !!!!!!!!!![/quote']

I had nearly the exact same issue with Cycle Lab. I took it back to them twice for this and then refused to take it a third time and made them collect it.

When i was on the spruit and realised that it was STILL not fixed i took it up to Linden Cycles where they realised that the derailleur mounting was bent. They fixed it free of charge in about 20 minutes.

Cycle Lab 0 - 1 Linden cycles

funny, i had the same issue with them and gears! took bike in for for its free service and to get the shocks sorted (New bike) when I phoned to check up on progress I was told the Agent for the shocks was comming to have a look and bring the necesary spares....bike back, gears not been touched and shocks stil not right.

Took it to another shop who is now my LBS, while I was there they contacted the agent for the shocks to check for spares and were told no spares were in the country and infact they had not had spares for a few week prior!! so I would love to know where these magic spares came from that cycle lab used.

Took a riding buddy to the shop just after having got my bike from them and he picks out a bike, with NO help from a very arrogant sales guy, this guy orders his size and says he will call him when it arrives, a week goes past no bike, no phone call, I go in and ask about it, "it coming from cape town, will be a few days" this is now almost 2 weeks later.......that was in Jan...bike must be still coming from Cape Town as no call, riding buddy got a new bike from another shop now and we both use this shop every weekend.

that is just my experience with them, you may have had better but in our group of riders, about 15 in total, not one will ever use them or recomend them
mark ellis2010-03-09 07:41:22

And Cyclelab had the gall to hijack the bike (unauthorised) wash area at the Adventure(the water and the high pressure hoses did not belong to them but were there for the use of the whole field)  and then start charging R50 a bike wash ! This meant that anyone who wanted to wash there own bike had to wait to use the remaning hoses.

See Farmer Glen's take on it below (extratc from mail sent out after the race):

Paying for a Bike Wash

We are very disturbed and upset to hear that riders were asked to pay R50 for a bike wash. This was not a sani2c initiative and neither Craig nor I were aware of this activity. This is totally unacceptable and will not happen again. Apart from paying for beers and massagers we try our best for riders not to open their wallets during the event.

This adhoc bike wash initiative was not approved by us and it caused congestion around the bike wash. Apparently their attitude was not great either. The people responsible for this had no authority to do so and we will ensure that money made by them will be spread out among our official beneficiaries.

I really think you guys should take this up with the AM or who else was in charge of the service station. Also, when the shop don't perform a task, take it up with management immediately. No point in airing dirty laundry now.

Disagree - they (cyle lab)charged for bike washes which they had no right to  (no permission from Glen) using equipment and water which did not belong to them -( theft in my book) - and also roped off an area of the bike wash which did not belong to them ! To the detriment of the whole field ! One word comes to mind and it starts with an a, has a hole in it and ends with an s !

I think we both agree that whoever was responsible was completely offsides ! Lets hope that Glen polices this next year as promised Smile

CycleLab were also ripping the ring out of the parts available at Sani2C, my Sani2C partner at the end of day 2 was quoted R600.00 for a pair of XTR disc brake pads.

I just called CycleLab and their local price is R230.00 per set.

WTF!! Milk everyone when they have no other choice or alternative, this goes completely against the spirit of the Sani2C event.

Volcan were there at the Sani2C and they lubed my bike and gave it the once-over for free each day.

Great bikes, and great service from the Volcan dudes.

On Day 2 they changed out the brake pads, only charging me for the parts.

My next bike......another Volcan.