Bad service by Cycle Lab at Sani2C

WGoosen

And they most propably those dudes I saw that carried their bikes through the river and mud holes !!! As for spending a few minutes at the bike wash , I must congratulate them on their top 10 finish .

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this years S2C keeping your bike 100% running order would not have been possible unless you/or somebody you paid did some maintenance on it every evening .

Not true. Two of my friends did the Sani. After each stage they spend a few minutes cleaning and checking their bikes' date=' and they didnt have a single technical.
[/quote']

We showered, had lunch, washed bike, changed 1 team mates rear tyre, did bike maintenance that was required. Back in the dinner tent with beer by 17.30....

The only time I go into CycleLab shop is to collect race numbers. I've always thought this shop was overrated

Point is...if you know the basics, and you arnt lazy, then you dont have to pay someone R1000 to do a job they dont really want to do.

smiley36.gif ok this is actaully really funny . I rebuild and service my own bikes and have been doing so for many years , paying R1000 for somebody to look after my bike at a race is a bargain and I will pay double that because I am there to enjoy the event and not hang around in the bike wash while I should be drinking in the pub , but anyway the point is Sias is most probably also as lazy as me and paid for something that he feels he did not get .

Jeez I was only charging R500 per person! I flicked myself! In all seriousness tho I don't see why the lab can get away with charging double what I was charging for doing the same thing... I restricted myself to 10 spots and kept to that, I was approached by other people and I helped them out but after all my prefered clients bikes were sorted... I finished every day by 6pm.

You will never see me in any Cycle Lab after the "Cartel " story. I even send someone to collect my numbers. Had a few problems with them servicing my bike before the Argus in 2009 but never again.

At Carnival race I broke a spoke in my rear wheel. I took my wheel in to them (Fourways branch) just as they were closing. No problem at all and they booked it in. Serviced the rest of my bike on the Tuesday. Went for a test ride over the weekend and it is the best it has been since I got the bike. Gears and brakes felt great and the wheel they repaired was great! Yes, it cost some money but I have had an experience in the past where I needed an urgent service before the Argus and this other shop (not Cycle Lab) was the only one who could fit me in. It was also quite cheap but not good service at all.

I service my bikes myself, but take my own mechanic (shared with a few mates) to stage races. There is no way that you want to or can do a competent job in repairing or maintaining your whip after a long hard day in the saddle.

I have always stayed away from the big service plans offered for these races because at the end of a bike breaking stage the queue is always out the door and you will wait. spares also run out, the grease monkey are buggered and gatvot and have to work in a little tent with bad light. next time go to your LBS and ask your friendly mechanic to take a paid "holiday"

I saw the condition of some of the bikes that the Specialized crew had to "look after" and crickey some bikes are so bad at the end of day one! There was one where the coating on the fox fork had worn off so badly the fork hardly moved never mind the condition of the drivetrain. In that situation there's not much you can do to make that work...

Me and my partner spent about 15-20 minutes after stag to check the bikes and lube where needed. If your bike is properly serviced beforehand I don't think you should need a mechanic to sort out minor mechanical problems during the race, as for the stand, no sias didn't take it with. didn't fit in the boxBig%20smile

Me and my partner spent about 15-20 minutes after stag to check the bikes and lube where needed. If your bike is properly serviced beforehand I don't think you should need a mechanic to sort out minor mechanical problems during the race' date=' as for the stand, no sias didn't take it with. didn't fit in the boxBig%20smile[/quote']

What FOOL would pay MEGA dollars to enter a stage race.....only to rock up with a bike that is not 100% serviced??? I do not buy that arguement!

FAct: Bikes takes a hammwering...the only way you are going to be hassle free is if you carry your precious over each and every obstacle / mud patch/ river crossing....

If not, I'd like to know which machine will have no maintenance on the Sani...cause I'll buy one the very next day!! You cannot get a better advertisement for reliability after finishing this race without any problems...

Me and my partner spent about 15-20 minutes after stag to check the bikes and lube where needed. If your bike is properly serviced beforehand I don't think you should need a mechanic to sort out minor mechanical problems during the race' date=' as for the stand, no sias didn't take it with. didn't fit in the boxBig%20smile[/quote']

What FOOL would pay MEGA dollars to enter a stage race.....only to rock up with a bike that is not 100% serviced??? I do not buy that arguement!

FAct: Bikes takes a hammwering...the only way you are going to be hassle free is if you carry your precious over each and every obstacle / mud patch/ river crossing....

If not, I'd like to know which machine will have no maintenance on the Sani...cause I'll buy one the very next day!! You cannot get a better advertisement for reliability after finishing this race without any problems...

SC Superlight, Washed and lubed chain. Rode everything bar the 3 river crossings on day2. No one rode those.
TNOSE_E2010-03-09 02:08:51

The only time I go into CycleLab shop is to collect race numbers. I've always thought this shop was overrated

Yes, I wonder what they pay the race organisers for this "priviledge"?? While I stood in the queue at 99er to collect my goodies - The 3 peeps before me must have coolectively paid close to R22k on stuff!!! I was flabbergasted...this one dude (foreigner) bought the entire kit - from sunglasses to road bike...and just swiped his Ccard...If it was not for registration collections...some other shop would possibly have benefitted.

Is that a fact ?

?

?

?

SC Superlight, Washed and lubed chain. Rode everything bar the 3 river crossings on day2. No one rode those.
smiley2.gif

My bike was well prepared by my trusty swaer and gave no problems. Just cleaned off and lubed after each day.  However when I got it back to jhb the jockey wheels had siezed from the mud that had ingressed - lucky there wasnt a 4th day, but I suspect this didnt help my day 3 time.

I carried the drive bits over the water and only lubed when the chain was dry... saw so many broken chains this year.