how i will make south africa's roads safer

cat-i

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is illegal to cycle in the yellow lane' date=' by the way.[/quote']

I thought so too, but someone pointed out to me the other day that that particular section of the Act (298a) says that it's illegal to drive a motor vehicle in the shoulder lane. It's OK for cyclists to be there.

To add to Cat-i's list, I will:

- use my lights (car and bicycle) whenever it's raining, cloudy, dark etc.

- maintain a safe following distance

- regularly inspect and service both car and bikes to ensure they're always safe and roadworthy.

Edman2010-03-09 10:10:53

A note on lights:

I get the impression that safety devices are deemed 'uncool' by many

cyclists,  and then they are gradually adopted as the norm.

Take helmets for example pre- nineties.

I think this is the case with lights too.

I use a blindingly bright flashing rear and front light EVEN IN THE DAY!

I have this theory that it makes the motorist notice the cyclist much earlier,  especially in low sun conditions.

Lights came to about R250-00 for both and I use rechargeable batteries, so I'm not fussed about running them all the time.

I'm amazed at how many people ride without proper lights early morning or at dusk.  When I say proper I mean something that is visible from 100m away (not like those stupid frog lights or the fizik light many guys are using).  The cost of a decent rear light is miniscule.    Bright clothing would also do wonders - but the majority of cyclists think its uncool to be wearing luminous clothing.

i received a bright light as a prezzie a year ago - was meant for night riding (which i use it for) - but i found i get a LOT more respect from cars if i use the bright light on my daily commute - to a point where i can cross republic (about 100m from the crossing with malibingwe) AND hill street (again a block down from malibongwe) because cars stop and make way. when i noticed it first, i experimented, and it's the light that make the difference, not the bright yellow jacket or the time of day.

i think it's pretty cool to be alive :)

Anyone have any tips for affordable yet kick-ass bright lights to use? Brand, where to buy etc.

I've looked in local shops but it's hard to judge without using the light and the really hardcore lights seem to all cost around 2 grand. If that's what I have to spend to see and be seen then so be it, but would be good to know if there's something out there for less that does the job.

That must have been quite a ride. :)

LOLLOLLOL

Just came down for 3 weeks leave... I will change my status now!!!!

Anyone have any tips for affordable yet kick-ass bright lights to use? Brand' date=' where to buy etc.I've looked in local shops but it's hard to judge without using the light and the really hardcore lights seem to all cost around 2 grand. If that's what I have to spend to see and be seen then so be it, but would be good to know if there's something out there for less that does the job.

[/quote']

I got a rear red light from sportsmans warehouse as a present and its visible from several hundred meters away with different settings depending on whether you want it to flash, etc. I've found it to work brilliantly and I also use it during the day.

Thanks Niklas, I'm particularly interested to hear about front lights - for seeing and being seen - lots of places round here have no street lights. I have one that cost me 500 bucks and it's not particularly effective. 

I have yet to get one of those due to them being so expensive. I haven't ridden that much in the dark though and when i have I have never ridden on the front of the group. Apart from making yourself visible they really useful for avoiding potholes and glass.