• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

commute to work

Why?

one less car on the road.

be able to engage with motorists in the traffic.  (understand their pain).

increase cycling visibility and profile as a means of transport (And not some yuppie sport).

reduce carbon emissions.

get fit

have fun.

I'm amazed at how many people ride without proper lights early morning or at dusk.  When I say proper I mean something that is visible from 100m away (not like those stupid frog lights or the fizik light many guys are using).  The cost of a decent rear light is miniscule.    Bright clothing would also do wonders - but the majority of cyclists think its uncool to be wearing luminous clothing.

I feel they should add extra line for cyclist' date=' if they repair or build new road....

[/quote']

Agreed, but they would have to separate the cyclist lane from the main road with an island. Why? Many SA drivers don't even respect the emergency lane...the cycle lane would become just another "space" to drive when in traffic. That being said, I can see taxis using the cycle lane even if there were an island...

I'm amazed at how many people ride without proper lights early morning or at dusk.  When I say proper I mean something that is visible from 100m away (not like those stupid frog lights or the fizik light many guys are using).  The cost of a decent rear light is miniscule.    Bright clothing would also do wonders - but the majority of cyclists think its uncool to be wearing luminous clothing.

please stop blaming others.  the thread is "How I will make South Africa's roads safer".  Not "What must others do to make the roads safer".

I'm amazed at how many people ride without proper lights early morning or at dusk.? When I say proper I mean something that is visible from 100m away (not like those stupid frog lights or the fizik light many guys are using).? The cost of a decent rear light is miniscule. ?? Bright clothing would also do wonders - but the majority of cyclists think its uncool to be wearing luminous clothing.

?

please stop?blaming others.? the?thread is "How I will make South Africa's roads safer".? Not "What must others do to make the roads safer".

?

?

But if there is nothing more that "I" can do then you have to start working on others.

gonna wear a black armband on sunday.

it will be a sign of my pledge to make the south african roads safer.

when on my bike on public roads i'll:

- respect traffic rules

- know that i'm invisible to all vehicles

- ride single file

- in an event' date=' when there's not full road closure, ensure that i stay on the left side of the white line

- wear my helmet - and fasten it (2 guys in groenkloof on sunday - one with helmet, but not fastened, and the other one with his helmet in his backpack???)

- wave and smile thank you when-ever a car noticed me and gave me a gap (even though it was legally my turn at the traffic circle)

when i'm in my car i'll

- not answer the cell phone if i don't have my hands free kit already on the phone (that includes not fumbling for the hands free kit when the phone rings) - calling back is cheaper than repairing damage to the car

- not type sms's

- not put on make-up while in traffic (was watching the whole episode in the car in front of me last week - from base to mascara and liquid eyeliner, 4 different shades of eye-shaddow, lips, even the hair)

- not accelerate when the traffic light is red

- not clog up the whole intersection when the light is green, so that no-one else can get through when it's their turn

- be curteous to at least one driver a day (even if it is a taxi) - with some luck he'll pass it on.

anybody else who wants to help me with this??

[/quote']

I applaud you. Clap

All it takes is a little bit of consideration from all road users to others. This applies to cyclists, motorists and also motorcyclists. I am by no means an angelic motorist, but being aware of these simple rules will go a long way towards making our roads safer.

parabola2010-03-09 05:04:12

please stop blaming others.  the thread is "How I will make South Africa's roads safer".  Not "What must others do to make the roads safer".

But if there is nothing more that "I" can do then you  (replace with I)have to start working on others.

The better way is to say I have done all I can do by myself, now I will campaign to raise awareness, funds ext.  I will support Sign Up, I will get involved to lobby political parties, I will advise and mobilise others, I will be an example.

Great post Cat-i!!

On Sunday I went for a ride around the Bryanston/Douglasdale area. I stopped at stop streets and robots. Even if I was turning left and could've gone I still stopped. Any drivers who gave me some space while passing or even stayed stopped at an intersection while I passed instead of going infront of me I lifted my hand as a "thank you". At one point I turned left out of Halifax onto Main Road (at Cramerview Shopping Centre) and rode in the emergency lane. As I needed to cross to the right side of the road to turn right into Homestead I saw a white 4X4. I waited and waited for it to pass but the driver indicated to me to cross in front of him. I thanked him. He was behind me in the turning lane and the robot was red for us. Once it was our turn to go and we turned right into Homestead this white 4X4 passed me. I saw that it had a bike on the back! So what we also need to do in addition to what Cat-i posted is when we are driving our vehicles we must treat other cyclists how we would want to be treated while riding.

gonna wear a black armband on sunday.it will be a sign of my pledge to make the south african roads safer.when on my bike on public roads i'll:- respect traffic rules- know that i'm invisible to all vehicles- ride single file- in an event' date=' when there's not full road closure, ensure that i stay on the left side of the white line- wear my helmet - and fasten it (2 guys in groenkloof on sunday - one with helmet, but not fastened, and the other one with his helmet in his backpack???) - wave and smile thank you when-ever a car noticed me and gave me a gap (even though it was legally my turn at the traffic circle)when i'm in my car i'll- not answer the cell phone if i don't have my hands free kit already on the phone (that includes not fumbling for the hands free kit when the phone rings) - calling back is cheaper than repairing damage to the car- not type sms's- not put on make-up while in traffic (was watching the whole episode in the car in front of me last week - from base to mascara and liquid eyeliner, 4 different shades of eye-shaddow, lips, even the hair)- not accelerate when the traffic light is red- not clog up the whole intersection when the light is green, so that no-one else can get through when it's their turn- be curteous to at least one driver a day (even if it is a taxi) - with some luck he'll pass it on.anybody else who wants to help me with this??

[/quote']I applaud you. ClapAll it takes is a little bit of consideration from all road users to others. This applies to cyclists, motorists and also motorcyclists. I am by no means an angelic motorist, but being aware of these simple rules will go a long way towards making our roads safer.

yes cat-i well said just one other thing i would like to add

Ride my mtb more often and keep off the roads !!

gonna wear a black armband on sunday.it will be a sign of my pledge to make the south african roads safer.when on my bike on public roads i'll:- respect traffic rules- know that i'm invisible to all vehicles- ride single file- in an event' date=' when there's not full road closure, ensure that i stay on the left side of the white line- wear my helmet - and fasten it (2 guys in groenkloof on sunday - one with helmet, but not fastened, and the other one with his helmet in his backpack???) - wave and smile thank you when-ever a car noticed me and gave me a gap (even though it was legally my turn at the traffic circle)when i'm in my car i'll- not answer the cell phone if i don't have my hands free kit already on the phone (that includes not fumbling for the hands free kit when the phone rings) - calling back is cheaper than repairing damage to the car- not type sms's- not put on make-up while in traffic (was watching the whole episode in the car in front of me last week - from base to mascara and liquid eyeliner, 4 different shades of eye-shaddow, lips, even the hair)- not accelerate when the traffic light is red- not clog up the whole intersection when the light is green, so that no-one else can get through when it's their turn- be curteous to at least one driver a day (even if it is a taxi) - with some luck he'll pass it on.anybody else who wants to help me with this??

[/quote']

Cat-I   >

I will help - On my bike I too shall respect the rules of the road, do my best to be visible, ride in single file, wear my helmet and fasten it, Be courteous to all road users. In my car everything you say - minus the makeup thing.

Maybe someone can make black bands like the yellow livestrong ones. it can simply say THINK LIFE! or similar

........... wave and smile thank you when-ever a car noticed me and gave me a gap (even though it was legally my turn at the traffic circle).......................

Cat-I   > 

In my car everything you say - minus the makeup thing.

Ok so Mutt is gonna carry on doing his make-up whilst driving.

Cat-I - you know you dont take turns at traffic circles, it's always give way to the right?  There's so much confusion with this when people treat a roundabout as a four-way stop. Actually, most people treat them as 4-way stops, so maybe i better just join in.

Otherwise

Riding in the suburbs I often leave my shades off to better make eye-contact with drivers and appear more human.

I wont train to target HR or speed riding in traffic; but keep focussed on what's happening around me, & also no headphones.

i wont go thru stop signs even when clear

i will stop at all red robots

i'll always ride single file

i wont laugh at joggers and power walkers

Alright fair enough.  I promise to shout at anyone I see:

- Riding without lights

- Riding two up outside a yellow line

- Not obeying red lights

If everyone does this we'll make progress.

ensure that i stay on the left side of the white line

How about trying to stay on the left of the yellow line?

It is illegal to cycle in the yellow lane, by the way.

But if it is safer to do so and take yourself out of harms way, then I say go for it.

if its illegal to cycle in the yellow line, and its kind of illegal to cycle in the road or you might get ran over, where must one cycle? on the yellow line?

hmmmm...im gonna be hearing alot of shouting. actually not, my earphones will be load enough not to hear you moan at me