Prize Money at Road Races

mallo

I think I figured it out. It all about gatkruip and making money... saying something is for "charity"

- that makes the government happy and they allow the race or event to take place by not being to full of sh*t about technical stuff, because developing/previously disadvantaged kids get something in return.

Bullsh*t- I'm sure being white does not make me priviously disadvantaged, but i cant really say I've ever had a advantage above anyone else.

went to school, studied, working  (no ral advantage there)

sport wise - the "previous government and this one" never sponsored me anything in any way.

sure its good to have charity causes - and I like the idea of getting kids to do sport - but then have one or 2 events for that - the rest just racing and paying for what you get.

if you wanna be involved in charity then do it.

Why should charity take over the responsibilities of the government ?? They waste money - live luxurious lifestyles and don't give a dam about their people and their conditions...

ok , back to happy times. Close to lunch!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask SARS to do an AUDIT on the Argus financials.

If the prize money for winning this race were say R 100 000 then maybe there would have been more international riders. With the Comrades the moment they increased the price money they started to get more top international runners. And the sad part of this is that Lance probably got more as an appearance fee as what the total pricemoney for the winners were.

Am I missing something, how is giving some previously disadvantage kid a bike developing cycling, I don?t believe that is doing dilly squat. 

What would be the incentive for those kids to become cyclist = I don?t know maybe seeing on SABC you can get R150 000 for winning the Argus. 

Giving better prize money wil also contribute greatly to the development of cycling, that is how it works in all other sports.

Guess they are developing tomorrow stars with a bike form Makro that is not developing cycling that is developing transport.

I know that PPA has put some money into developing mtb trails so I'm happy to be benefiting. What about all the smaller races - R100+ per rider and no obvious charity to benefit from and frequently no prize money at all. I'd rather see R50 of my entry fee going to charity than into some self-seeking individual's pocket!

I know that PPA has put some money into developing mtb trails so I'm happy to be benefiting. What about all the smaller races - R100+ per rider and no obvious charity to benefit from and frequently no prize money at all. I'd rather see R50 of my entry fee going to charity than into some self-seeking individual's pocket!

True. They do give some money towards developing trails - but I feel that money should come from MTB races etc.

Road racing and fun rides should "sponsor" its own development and race prices.

MOre money will make it more interesting and more serious racing and carreers. More international riders, more coverage and bigger scheme in SA. Its all towards a better SA. Imagine you get some new international riders to come race the argus, or international teams to do Giro etc. Maybe some of them then decide to come train here in the future and do the Giro and maybe tour of Boland as prep for summer season in Europe.

Them coming here will promote cycling, up the game, bring more money to SA though tourism and develop sport.

It all starts with people not wanting to gain more than they deserve out of something. Cover cost - pay decent salaries, but in the end the riders and cycling should benefit

Quite honestly I am not fussed about the Argus entry fee. Once I have forked out for the flights, accommodation, bits for the bike and so on the entry fee looks like chump change. Thats why I only do the Argus every 2nd year.

However, the prize money is a disgrace. Imagine how proud we would have all been if LA had won the race and he was presented with the princely sum of $2000?

The elites in S.A. seem quite a likeable lot and it disgusts me that we expect so much and then reward them like that. Shame on the organizers.

Quite honestly I am not fussed about the Argus entry fee. Once I have forked out for the flights' date=' accommodation, bits for the bike and so on the entry fee looks like chump change. Thats why I only do the Argus every 2nd year.

However, the prize money is a disgrace. Imagine how proud we would have all been if LA had won the race and he was presented with the princely sum of $2000?

The elites in S.A. seem quite a likeable lot and it disgusts me that we expect so much and then reward them like that. Shame on the organizers.[/quote']

yep, entry fee not a problem.

Its how they use the cash thats a problem.

I dont know how people can compare the Argus to the Comrades. The Comrades is a world class event that attracts the worlds best ultra distance athletes, whereas the Argus is a pissy little funride.

Winning the Comrades means something in that particular discipline, regardless of the prize money.

The Argus on the other hand has no prestige at all, even if it had a 250K first prize. It would cost a top team 250K to travel all this way anyway, so what would be the the point.

I think Malcolm should take his 16K and say thanks, and if he doesn't like it maybe he doesn't have to ride it at all. The second option might really piss off his sponsor because then they loose out on valuable exposure, and if thats the case, well maybe Medscheme should just pay him some more for his hard work and effort.

I dont know how people can compare the Argus to the Comrades. The Comrades is a world class event that attracts the worlds best ultra distance athletes' date=' whereas the Argus is a pissy little funride.

Winning the Comrades means something in that particular discipline, regardless of the prize money.

The Argus on the other hand has no prestige at all, even if it had a 250K first prize. It would cost a top team 250K to travel all this way anyway, so what would be the the point.

I think Malcolm should take his 16K and say thanks, and if he doesn't like it maybe he doesn't have to ride it at all. The second option might really piss off his sponsor because then they loose out on valuable exposure, and if thats the case, well maybe Medscheme should just pay him some more for his hard work and effort.
[/quote']

And the argus is not?

I think R16000.00 is scandilous (spelling) and the organisers should be ashamed. I wonder how they come up with 16K?

And the argus is not?

I think R16000.00 is scandilous (spelling) and the organisers should be ashamed. I wonder how they come up with 16K?

To be fair, yes, it is a world class event. Its the best organised funride on the planet, but its by far not a world class bike race. The comrades has ultra marothoners from around the world dreaming and salivating about running and winning it.

I doubt if Tom Boonen has sleepless nights becajuse he can't get the chance to ride the Argus. As for Lance, he was just looking to create another market for selling Livestrong bangles and taking our hard earned charity money out of the country.

velo2010-03-17 14:12:48

I doubt if Tom Boonen has sleepless nights becajuse he can't get the chance to ride the Argus. As for Lance' date=' he was just looking to create another market for selling Livestrong bangles and taking our hard earned charity money out of the country.[/quote']

JAG Foundation. Do a little reading...

I dont know how people can compare the Argus to the Comrades. The Comrades is a world class event that attracts the worlds best ultra distance athletes' date=' whereas the Argus is a pissy little funride.

[/quote']

1. There is a racing group that was organised for them by the organisers. Winners must then also be paid what is fair. Developing professional cycling.

To me R16k is not close to fair for the race size.

2. The first guys (Pro/ semi pro group) and only them manage to get that race time, meaning 0.29% of all the Argus riders are able to do it.

3. If the Argus is a pissy little race why dont you go win it?

Complaining about how someone else runs their business? Solution's easy. Don't support that business if you're not getting value for your money. Go support some other business that offers the same thing. There isn't one? Well now you're in a pickle.

3. If the Argus is a pissy little race why dont you go win it?

I'm not capable of winning the Argus.

But you right I guess, the Argus is right up there with the European one day classics. In fact, i heard Quickstep are boycotting Paris Roubaix because they heard that Lance rode the Argus and they weren't invited, and next year Milan Sanremo is being moved to the end of the season because it conflicts with the Argus on the Calendar, and you know which race is more important.

So many of you spend one hell of a lot of time griping about what others can do for you.Have any of you taken the time to go to an AGM of any of these organisations .Most of the office bearers of these organisations are voted into office. Where were you when that was happening. Stop thinking about what you can get out of the sport and start thinking of what you can put back