Cycling not a team sport according to school

amdretard

The way I see it is that it's double edged! To get the schools to recognise cycling more is to get the government more involved!

But now do we really want that to happen?

Id say do cross-country purely because of the huge cross-training benefits! It also won't expose you to any major impact injuries!

I had the same issue, I just stuck to the endurance sports! It works out in the end!

Stay focussed and remember to do what YOU enjoy and what YOU want to!

School is such a small part of life, its ridiculous

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The replies have been very interesting if to say the least! I do go a traditional all boys school. I managed to duck and dive summer sport but am doing Cross country to maintian fitness but realy i need more the an the weekend to ride in winter.

But i managed to get the sports administrator to agree to reading out the WP champ results in our assembly if they good! But what is good ?

But anyway i wont stop riding at all if anything i wil probably send the Sports administrator a TDF book at the end of this year when i finish for him to educated abit more than just the 1 st team rugby

I cant ... they will find me .... and the jocks will make me sore in places that are smiley35.gif ... lol na it only fair i dont tell

ok, dude, i understand. it's been a coupla years (a coupla, a coupla, a coupla, a coupla, a coupla years) since i was at school and then the outsiders were the guys who listened to alternative music and smoked (and i may add, scored the chicks who put out). as i saif earlier, stick at it. good luck youngster!  

Woohoo, alternative rocks!

Cycle Hard! Eventually all the jocks will become fat and stupid working a desk job for some company or something! It happens, im seeing that already after 4 years out

Na they will be bagging my groceries in 10 years time while i just laugh. smiley36.gif amdretard2007-07-16 12:45:55

My school was exactly the same as yours amdretard... I even heard they brought in jukskei as a sport (dont know what the hell that is, something to do with throwing bats at sticks, i think). But still no cycling, not even recognition. This has lead to most of the performing cyclists in the school leave and go to another more cycling-friendly school

O hel, my laaitie going to grade 8 next year, no sport, no cycling, maybe social cross country. But he missed primary school SA maths team by one point last year. Will try again. Thats his sport. And stuff anyone. He also likes hiking in mountains, absailing. Also going to the big rugby school in Stellenbosch next year.

HAHA it aint paul roos I cant speak a word of afrikaans . So when all the Afrikaans posts come i just browse thro them not understanding what is going on hehe

Man, you guys have it rough!Ouch

Around here we can pretty much do what we want to.

In Primary school i did netball, hockey, tennis, cycling and a bit of swimming and loved all of them. But because of religious purposes i can't play on Saturdays so that made hockey and netball a bit tricky to continue with when i got to high school. I tried it for the first year, but ended up not being able to play any games, so my mom wrote a letter to the principal explaining everything. He invited both of us to see him in his office and ensured us that he will personally see to it that no one gives me any hassles and encouraged me to go on and do my best in the sports i prefer and that i can do.

We have 5 cyclists in our school, all on far different skill and fitness levels, so we are also not enough to form an official school team, and that's more than fine with me! But we are asked to give them all the race reports and tell them about the races we do when all the other sports get their time to give their reports.

We even got permission to get a stand for the open day so we can show all the gr.7's who comes the equipment, our kit etc - first time in a while that we're going to have a cycling stall, so really looking forward to it!

And the best part - when we want to get permission to get excused from school if there's the odd race during the week or we want some days off for traveling (as with SA's)...we get invited into the principals office and drink tea, while we are asked everything about the planned race, our training, bikes, you name it! So in the end we waste a whole period chatting away.LOL He backs it 110% even offering to move our exam/test dates when necesarrySmile. So a massive thumb up to him!Smile

In your case i think it's pretty dumb...i understand that they want everyone to participate etc, but COME ON...how many of those guys will really continue doing rugby/hockey and all those other sports once they're out of high school hmmm??? Not a lot i guess...

So why shoot you down when you're doing something you love and that you can keep doing 'til you're all old and wrinkly?Wink Most of those jocks will end up only WATCHING rugby games on TV in a semi-drunk state while drinking even more and chewing on whatever they can get their hands on, getting fatter and more unfit as they go along. So in the end...who's going to be the winner? The 120kg guy who USED to play for the first team in the distant past or the lean mean you who will keep on challenging other guys around you on hills and in sprints until you're so old that you have to be helped onto your bicycle in order to go training?LOL

As for the team thing...how about a little challenge...Evil%20Smile

Invite your teacher/principal/who ever is in charge to come training with you and some of your buddies on two days; make him ride on his own into the wind on the one day and the other day let him sit slip the whole time and later show him how you guys ride in a paceline while rotating continuously. Then show him a dvd or two of any big race and ask him to judge just how well the guys who are in the same team work together and work for their leader. Might not get your school a team immediately, but might just give him something to think about...

Also you can maybe try getting a official letter from the WP schools association to just let him see that there is structure and support bodies for young cyclists.

good luck

The 120kg guy who USED to play for the first team in the distant past or the lean mean you who will keep on challenging other guys around you on hills and in sprints until you're so old that you have to be helped onto your bicycle in order to go training?LOL

Spot jy huh?  Net omdat jy in Namibie was beteken nie jy mag lelik wees met ons "groot" ouens nie!Cry

Wow Nellie... that was brilliantly put! Brought a tear to my eye!

Seriously though, if you put this much effort into your essays, you must be getting A's all over!