Cycling not a team sport according to school

amdretard

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nellie, that is exactly how I feel about my son's (old) school.

We could not have asked for better assistance and support.  They still mention his name in the annual Prize Giving as being a Professional Cyclist,( as a career).... and they still have cycling in winter and summer.... Great way to go.

Our development programme at Killarney is now gearing towards North vs South Schools...... should be fun, and allow recognition in their schools.

Schools are quick to victimise kids that excel in non-school sports, but even quicker to remind everyone years later that Greg Minnaar, Robert Hunter etc is a proud product of this school.

At school my nine-year-old son is the captain of his soccer team, in the school swimming team and in the school cross-country team. He also happens to be a brilliant hip-hop and freestyle dancer for which he wins titles in national competitions! Big hassles this week because he can't compete in the school's interhouse athletics day on Saturday as he has a dancing competition on the same day.

Would have been nice if the school had shown some support and interest in his success and development in a non-school activity. But they didn't. So we said screw 'em! Follow your heart and dance to your own beat, son...

The 120kg guy who USED to play for the first team in the distant past or the lean mean you who will keep on challenging other guys around you on hills and in sprints until you're so old that you have to be helped onto your bicycle in order to go training?LOL

Spot jy huh?  Net omdat jy in Namibie was beteken nie jy mag lelik wees met ons "groot" ouens nie!Cry

nee sys spot verseker nie, julle groot ouens is GREAT...slipstream vir onsLOLLOLLOL

Oh this brings back memories... of school day bliss

Back in the last century (hehe) 1979 / 80 a few of us tried to get our PM head master to recognize SKATEBOARDING as a team sport, we were told its a fad and will soon die out... wonder what he thinks now?

Spot jy huh?  Net omdat jy in Namibie was beteken nie jy mag lelik wees met ons "groot" ouens nie!Cry

Ag kom nou...ek doen nie! Jy ry mos fiets' date=' so hou nou op kla!Wink Btw...jy skuld my nog 'n sms.

Wow Nellie... that was brilliantly put! Brought a tear to my eye!

Seriously though, if you put this much effort into your essays, you must be getting A's all over!

Haha!LOLEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

nellie' date=' gotta agree with fanboy here!ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

amdretard, maybe you gotta hook up with nellieWink
[/quote']

lol, thanx...as for the hooking up - the poor guy will have to get through Fats first and i love my freedom far to much anyway.LOLWink

Nellie' date=' that is exactly how I feel about my son's (old) school.

We could not have asked for better assistance and support.  They still mention his name in the annual Prize Giving as being a Professional Cyclist,( as a career).... and they still have cycling in winter and summer.... Great way to go.

Our development programme at Killarney is now gearing towards North vs South Schools...... should be fun, and allow recognition in their schools.

[/quote']

That's soo great Pedal!Smile And the schools program sounds like a stunning idea! YOU GO GIRL!!!ClapStarBig%20smile

Schools are quick to victimise kids that excel in non-school sports' date=' but even quicker to remind everyone years later that Greg Minnaar, Robert Hunter etc is a proud product of this school.

Would have been nice if the school had shown some support and interest in his success and development in a non-school activity. But they didn't. So we said screw 'em! Follow your heart and dance to your own beat, son...
[/quote']

Agreed! But one thing i really appreciate of Montana (my school) is that they've always had a seperate honour role thing for non-school sports where we get the same recognition as the others. Geoff Easton had Junior SA's in 1999 when he was still in the school and we can still see his name engraved on a board in the hall - i thought this was really cool when i recognised it the first time and i still stare at it sometimes.Smile

But to your son....kid - do everything you do as best you can and enjoy it!!! Good luck and don't let them get you down!ClapStar

The 120kg guy who USED to play for the first team in the distant past or the lean mean you who will keep on challenging other guys around you on hills and in sprints until you're so old that you have to be helped onto your bicycle in order to go training?LOL

nee sys spot verseker nie' date=' julle groot ouens is GREAT...slipstream vir onsLOLLOLLOL
[/quote']

Moet ek weer die foudie van jou post?!?!?Wink

?

?

Back in the last century (hehe) 1979 / 80 a few of us tried to get our PM head master to recognize SKATEBOARDING as a team sport' date=' we were told its a fad and will soon die out... wonder what he thinks now?

?

?
[/quote']

probably still sees it as a fad sport that will soon die out.

Back in the last century (hehe) 1979 / 80 a few of us tried to get our PM head master to recognize SKATEBOARDING as a team sport' date=' we were told its a fad and will soon die out... wonder what he thinks now?

[/quote']

probably still sees it as a fad sport that will soon die out.

We had a guy in the army that tried to get skateboarding recognised as a sport. Pitch at sports parade with his baggies and board but never got it recognised.

Tried to get chess recognised as a military sport.

Problem: "We have to many sport codes"

"It will cost to musch"

ext ext ext

Ek was in Paul Roos. 'n sogenaamde rugby skool.(nie rerig uitblinkers op die oomblik nie.) Daar was 'n fietsry span,'n tafel tennis span, en as jy enigsins iets reggekry het in enigiets,was daar nie 'n halwe verskoning nodig om dit in saal af te kondig nie.selfs ons supertube ry en sewende apie span se uitslae was afgekondig in saal. Interskole het die fietsry span saam gegaan bloem toe,en ons het ondersteuning gekry. Seuns skole is een van die plekke waar die meeste Anti-Establishment kinders groot word,juis oor hulle uitgewerp word omdat hulle nie "inpas" nie. Maar my skool het moeite gedoen om vir almal 'n plekkie te gun. Terloops, daar is nou 'n klein skatepark gedagte gemaak op die parkeer area voor die Paul Roos Sentrum ('n groot venue wat gereeld uitgehuur word,almal sien die sketerplankers.) Bottom line, as die skool nie die minoriities gaan erken nie, gaan hulle `n veer voel vir die skool. Ek het vir die "Gees" hokkie span gespeel, o19c.maar ek gaan kyk nog steeds die Rugby as my boetie speel,en ondersteun beslis die eerste span,al is hulle in `n depressie fase.Punt is: ek bly trots op my skool.

the same school that wouldn't allow us to play soccer as a school sport for a VERY long time.....

I would not have called it such an accomodaing school as you make it out to be but eventually they got the message that Rugby wasn't EVERYTHING in life.

They either allowed people to choose what sport they wanted to do or risk loosing them.

At least if they got results, the school got into the papers...

we have four soccer teams now.and they do pretty good.beat grey when I was in matric.the accomadating thing only started recently.will have to see what the new rector does about the minority sports now.

Laaitie gan paul **** toe, I started cycling in gr9, latrinus gr8, willie Engel gr10, johan engel(his better brother that stopped) gr12 all at same time in school., hans degenaar old boy.