Tubeless help

mtb_Josh

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok' date=' maybe I'm seeing the problem here: The diameter you are talking about is from the rim toward the hub and then to the rim on the opposite side of the wheel right? I thought we were talking about the diameter between the beading (if that makes any sense)

So how on earth is that tiny increase in diameter of any crucial advantage when using a rim strip? If that tiny bit makes a difference, then guys on 29ers would be riding away from everyone else by miles![/quote']

Your "diameter" between the beading would be the width. Diameter refers to the distance between a circle's extremities.

So how does the strip help? If you've ever tried to fit a very loose tyre (i.e. one with a large beading diameter ), you'd know that a snug fit compliments of Stan's makes the initial sealing of the tyre that much easier. Some tyres are loose, some are tight. A tight tyre seals better and a Stan's strip makes a big difference in tightness.

I've done many "Ghetto" tubeless conversions for people and no one has ever come back to complain (maybe they are all in hospital Ouch)

I use the narrow bmx tubes and cut them to resemble rim strips. If you use UST tyres and sealant you aren't going to have a problem.

Refering to the previous cost of a Stan's strip. A tube is cheap at arround R30 and it does the same job. Its even cheaper than just getting the valve as the one oke was saying. Either way, 100s of these Ghetto conversions are doing the rounds and they last. Mine has never failed and I make the scale suffer at 95Kgs with all my gear going to work and back. (next to the road like a true MTBer.

I sorted my wheels out today - I put the rim strip in the front and an old valve + insulation tape in the back. It was quite a mission to seal the back tyre but once it was on it was fine. Only problem now is that the sidewalls are leaking quite a bit of air (right next to the beading) ... I thought the tyres would be fine as they have been used as tubeless before, but obviously not...

Na, Its not the bead thats leaking, its the sidewalls. The tyre on the rim with the stans strip is leaking more than the other one.

speaking of tire pressure

i havnt gone tubeless yet but i am following all these topics very closley, i know when riding tubeless one does it at lower pressure, but what is low? tubed i ride between 300-350

#%!&@

bet ur tires GRIP at that pressure, shouldnt be a difference between a converted wheel and a popper tubeless wheel???

unfortunatley i cant do the conversion on my MonoRails at the moment, got two little cuts that will be an issue...

75kg's. However the 1 bar is during rides where I don't check my tyres before hand! :s

Probably closer to 1.5/1.8.