Tubeless help

mtb_Josh

JB - here is my logic- please tell me where I'm going wrong? (Please excuse the bad drawing!)

20100504_051317_Untitled.jpg

Black = rim

Blue = tyre

Red = Rim strip

Surely the pic on the left has a smaller inside diameter than the one on the right?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh you are right!

By adding the strip you decrease the radius of the circle, thus also reducing(though minimal) the air volume it can take! That previous explanation is bollocks!

before you suddenly see a camel in the desert.

Or the dolphins in the sea! smiley4.gif

However it may be, the insulation tape and valve works great.

I find rim tape very expensive without any real gains.

well from my understanding it should rather look like this, with the strip making a seal with the tire not the tire sealing against the rim if you know what i mean, or at least thats the principle with the ghetto conversion

20100504_053829_tubeless.JPG

JB - here is my logic- please tell me where I'm going wrong? (Please excuse the bad drawing!)
20100504_051317_Untitled.jpg

Black = rim
Blue = tyre
Red = Rim strip

Surely the pic on the left has a smaller inside diameter than the one on the right?

The rim on the left is narrower than the rim on the right, but the rim on the left has a larger diameter than the rim on the right.

With non-UST Tyres the problem is diameter, the tyre is slightly larger than the rim (diameter-wise) and therefore has a gap through which air escapes.

Bollocks?

Kid I think I understand your concern . Like some of us that will never put carbon on their bikes !!

How is this difficult to understand...?

The stans rubber strip is approx 3mm in thickness, when placed over the rim is adds 6mm to the diameter, 3mm to the radius and approx 18mm to the Circumference [using Pi x Diameter]

Kid I think I understand your concern . Like some of us that will never put carbon on their bikes !!

I was wondering how long you would itch for should you survive rolling the M3 with that roof...

That's it! I demand a sketch! I don't understand how when inserting a extra layer of rubber inside the rim, the diameter is increased.

The diameter of te INSIDE of the rim, the area where the beads of the tire go is increased as per my math above. The INCREASE in diameter creates a tighter fit between the tire and rim.

Phew... thought this would be a quick post... the only thing that has kept me sane are the pics of Lolly's lovely car collection...

now if someone could only tell me how those "power" bracelets work... Confused

morewoodkid2010-05-04 06:11:16

The stans rubber strip is approx 3mm in thickness' date=' when placed over the rim is adds 6mm to the diameter, 3mm to the radius and approx 18mm to the Circumference [using Pi x Diameter']

NO-NO-NO

Think clearly now:

The center point of the circle is not the hub anymore, the circle is a new one where the center spot will be in the middle of the tube/tyre space.

Imagine you cut a tubless tyre/wheel combo open and look at it from afront( the way they advertise new rims)

That is the new circle that is being talked about.

It must get smaller, radius smaller, less volume etc, etc

Morewoodkid

Do I understand this corectly:  radius is measured from hub to outside of rim, therefore 3mm rubber on outside will increase radius?

so the diameter doesn't actually increase, the thickness of the rim increases (with the inner tube). With rim tape nothing happens except that you seal the spoke holes.