Tubeless help

mtb_Josh

The diameter of te INSIDE of the rim' date=' the area where the beads of the tire go is increased as per my math above. The INCREASE in diameter creates a tighter fit between the tire and rim.

Phew... thought this would be a quick post... the only thing that has kept me sane are the pics of Lolly's lovely car collection...
[/quote']

I understand your thinking but that is not the force that keeps the bead seated, it is the air volume in the tyre that seats it against the rim thus pushing/pulling the bead against the rim.

That little flimsy rubber wont seat a tyre

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The diameter of te INSIDE of the rim' date=' the area where the beads of the tire go is increased as per my math above. The INCREASE in diameter creates a tighter fit between the tire and rim.

Phew... thought this would be a quick post... the only thing that has kept me sane are the pics of Lolly's lovely car collection...
[/quote']

LOL I'm with you... but refuse to try and convince them that think the idea of the rim strip is ONLY to seal off the holes in the rim otherwise...

I've had 2 occasions a few years ago where my rear tyre has burped going around alpine hairpin bends (Tar roads both times) and its not a nice feeling at all.

Both occasions where with Bontrager UST compatible rims with a Bontrager strip installed.

So how many Ronds does a Stans rim strip cost ?

In the region of 250
splat2010-05-04 06:37:12

In the region of 250

Thats about the same as here = 35 Swissies for 1 strip

Being the same price as here is not necessarily a good thing....

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I was under the impression from the videos on Stans site that his rim strip sits inside the bead of the tyre, kinda like the tube does?

kosmonooit2010-05-04 06:54:27

wow, ok. I still dont understand the diameter thing, unless we're talking about 2 different diameters. But anyway, thanks for the advice, I'm going to do the tape and valve thing, If it fails then I'll fall, dust myself off and get back on my bike. smiley20.gif

I've done many "Ghetto" tubeless conversions for people and no one has ever come back to complain (maybe they are all in hospital Ouch)

I use the narrow bmx tubes and cut them to resemble rim strips. If you use UST tyres and sealant you aren't going to have a problem.
Wallee2010-05-04 09:44:09

wow' date=' ok. I still dont understand the diameter thing, unless we're talking about 2 different diameters. But anyway, thanks for the advice, I'm going to do the tape and valve thing, If it fails then I'll fall, dust myself off and get back on my bike. smiley20.gif [/quote']

C'mon Josh, you can do it.  One last try:

A car wheel has diameter and width. If you buy 195/70 SR 15 tyres, you are buying tyres for a rim that takes 195mm wide tyres and a rim with a 15 inch diameter. Forget about the 70 in the code above for now and dont ask why we're mixing metric and imperial.

If you were to put a strip of rubber inside the rim that touches the sides but doesn't go all the way up the sides, you would have increased the wheel's diameter.

If you were to put a strip of rubber inside the rim that doesn't touch the spoke bed but only the sides, you would have decreased the rim's width.

When you buy MTB tyres, you get them in 2.0 inch, 2.1 inch and 2.2 inch models. They all have the same diameter but different widths.

I use the narrow bmx tubes and cut them to resemble rim strips. If you use UST tyres and sealant you aren't going to have a problem.

Getting a UST tyre off in the field with a plastic tyre lever is difficult. On some wheels, impossible.

Non-UST tyres are up to the job and seal perfectly, albeit a bit more difficult at first.

Let me try -

If you were to put a strip of rubber inside the rim that touches the sides but doesn't go all the way up the sides, you would have increased the wheel's diameter of the internal rim! The external diameter of rim lip remains the same!

ok, maybe I'm seeing the problem here: The diameter you are talking about is from the rim toward the hub and then to the rim on the opposite side of the wheel right? I thought we were talking about the diameter between the beading (if that makes any sense)

So how on earth is that tiny increase in diameter of any crucial advantage when using a rim strip? If that tiny bit makes a difference, then guys on 29ers would be riding away from everyone else by miles!

By gad I think you've got it!Clap

I will leave the other guys to answer the rest of your post.