Garmin Edge 305 HR/CAD

Kobie

Does Suunto do a GPS?  I know the Edge is rated for submersion to a depth of 1m for 30minutes.

Yes, think the model number is X9, but I haven't the foggiest idea about features.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Suunto do a GPS?  I know the Edge is rated for submersion to a depth of 1m for 30minutes.

Yes' date=' think the model number is X9, but I haven't the foggiest idea about features.

[/quote']

Cool, didn't know that!  Steve Saunders is going to slap me!

Why dont we start a thread where courses can be shared?

Im trying to get garmin courses in a thread in training, but nobody is responding. Maybe some oaks even have courses for some of the popular races ?

I was speaking to Ray Chaplin over the weekend (the guy who cycled from CT to JHB and who recently completed the 57.5hrs non-stop ride at Cycle Lab) and he was telling me that he went through 2 or 3 Edges (I can't remember) during his CT to JHB cycle because of them not being 100% waterproof.

He's now decided to move over to Suunto.

Another data point: I have been using my Forerunner 301 since March 2005. About two years of that has been without the rubber plug for the USB port. I use it for running' date=' riding and walking, in the rain and in the dry. No problem with water ingress. It lives on a proper Garmin handlebar mount.

By the way, the Garmin also has a 1m/30 min rating, if I'm not mistaken.

Im trying to get garmin courses in a thread in training' date=' but nobody is responding. Maybe some oaks even have courses for some of the popular races ?

[/quote']

I've collected a library of my tracks that I am trying to put together on my web space on Mweb. The list includes the Argus, Double Century, many of the fun rides around Cape Town, all our Cape Town audax rides from 200 to 600, most of the climbs around Cape Town including Franschhoek, Du Toits and Sir Lowry's, local training routes, a few half marathons and for good measure the Paris marathon. There's lots more. These are all in .gpx format, I think. They can be viewed in Mapsource (Garmin) or in Sportracks from Zonefivesoftware.

... and if the gods smile on me, by the end of this month I'll also have Paris-Brest-Paris.

So, watch this space.

And while therez a collection of 305 users currently adding their 2 cents here, I was wearing my forerunner to spinning session yesterday, can see the HR and hr zones, but the calories stayed at 0, am i doing something wrong or should there be gps reading (i.e distance moved) for that ??

And while therez a collection of 305 users currently adding their 2 cents here' date=' I was wearing my forerunner to spinning session yesterday, can see the HR and hr zones, but the calories stayed at 0, am i doing something wrong or should there be gps reading (i.e distance moved) for that ??

[/quote']

it doesnt record unless there some kind of movement. So you need either a cadence sensor or gps signal. Its a bit anoying and one of my pet peeves about the 305

it doesnt record unless there some kind of movement. So you need either a cadence sensor or gps signal. Its a bit anoying and one of my pet peeves about the 305

DOH!! Cry I got the runner instead of the edge specifically for gym usage, this sucks. Think i should flog the runner again and get an Edge Confused
slowjoe2007-08-01 07:13:11

Im trying to get garmin courses in a thread in training' date=' but nobody is responding. Maybe some oaks even have courses for some of the popular races ?

[/quote']

Having a thread to share tracks is a nice idea - fine for a small number of tracks.

However what you actually need is a searchable database with a set structure for meta data (data describing the GPS data).

Needs a bit of work and possibly an administrator to do some checking on the data submitted.

I have GPS data for many of the PPA events in the Western Cape - been using a GPS on my MTB for a few years. Initially I did not take it along for the events though.

<thread hijack>

Those with mapping capable Garmin devices might be interested in my hobby project born from a need for my mountaineering activities It has snowballed a bit... Smile

See http://madmappers.com/AfricaTopo/

If anybody is interested, I can provide more info, but perhaps rather in a new thread.

</thead hijack>

And while therez a collection of 305 users currently adding their 2 cents here' date=' I was wearing my forerunner to spinning session yesterday, can see the HR and hr zones, but the calories stayed at 0, am i doing something wrong or should there be gps reading (i.e distance moved) for that ??

[/quote']

There is no way to get calorie reading while you're training. But it is possible afterwards.

You could edit the training history file in .xml, but an easier way is to download (yes, I know, I'm getting to be boring) Sporttracks and do exactly what I did yesterday, namely upload the workout, edit with a couple of clicks and voila.

If you need the full procedure, PM me.

You can also edit HR, elevation and the actual GPS track in Sporttracks.

So you needn't even be wearing a HR belt. All you have to do is estimate your average HR. Obviously this wouldn't be accurate, but for the uber-geeks this would mean your average HR over time wouldn't be thrown out too much.

What??  I was at work by 08:30! Tongue

Seems like ur a legend in the making. People will tell tales of you someday LOL