Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a fizik saddle replacement from Italy sent on the 1st, the 2nd in UK the 3rd in Johannesburg been there until today the 9th customs delay.

Got a fizik saddle replacement from Italy sent on the 1st, the 2nd in UK the 3rd in Johannesburg been there until today the 9th customs delay.

got my package yesterday... originally send 5 December.

Was at the SAPO & customs black hole for 3 weeks.

Only way I knew it was waiting for me is I checked on shippers tracking which suddenly said attempted delivery, so went looking at post office, no paper work was left in my mail box.

G

Edited by awesme

My post 2 days back-parcel finally reached me in CT yesterday after despatch by CRC on 18 Jan (via Parcelfreight who link into SA Post Office once here). Seems there is a problem at SA Customs-maybe volumes are increasing due to improved exchange rate :) .  Next time will  use  DHL option. CRC service excellent and I am happy with order

OK so this is seems like the right place to ask my question, and apologies for not reading the whole thread to find a potential answer, but it's long (that's what she said) and I'm a little too busy at the moment (that's what..nevermind). 

So, let's say a guy called Jeff wants to buy a pair of cycling shoes. They cost R2000 in RSA, and they cost R1000 on CRC. Which option should Jeff choose, and if the answer is CRC, by how much will Jeff be out of pocket at the end of the entire process?

My first answer: support local.

Second answer - As far as I recall, shoes have a 30% duty, so the calculation (not including shipping) will be R1000 * 1.14 (our VAT) * 1.1 (this is a constant, it'll apply to anything and everything one imports) * 1.3 (import levy for shoes) = R1630.20 ALL IN. 

I've been getting all my orders without any problems.

6 weeks from the East via normal post

CRC shipped an order yesterday and it should be here next week.

SARS is just a pain but there's nothing we can do about that.

Parcel 1 Left the UK 24 jan and delivered with the post office on the 2 Feb.

Parcel 2 left on 25 Jan and delivered by the post office on the 6 Feb.

Parcel left on the 29 Jan and hopefully should have it today or tomorrow.

I am interested in buying a set of carbon wheels from China. Anybody know what the duties are on these?

I am interested in buying a set of carbon wheels from China. Anybody know what the duties are on these?

bicycle components, so zero custom duties. Just AVT and VAT applies.

I'm also keen on buying a set of carbon wheels but will have to wait a month or 2 still.

There have been way too many purchases this year already.

I'm also keen on buying a set of carbon wheels but will have to wait a month or 2 still.

There have been way too many purchases this year already.

You should ride less. Your equipment will last longer. Less purchases required. Credit card not crying.

I'm so fed up with the SAPO I only use DHL Express. Last purchase from CRC was on a Thursday, delivered to my door on Tuesday morning.

I'm quite happy to pay the extra cost...

Is there an email address or contact number where I can lodge a complaint in respect of the customs? This is the second shipment I have brought in relating to cyling nutrition and EVERYTIME I have had problems.

The first time only half my product arrived (gels) and now, with my second package, they did not close the nutrition bottle's lid properly and half the product/powder was in the box.

What is the use if I bring in stuff if I suffer a loss every time. As well, I have an item classified under the wrong tariff code, obviously the f&@ktard sitting at customs cannot read on the box when it says pressure gauge and classifies it as a foot pump...