No Tubes ZTR Crest Rims

VincentBikes

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the responses.

I have a set of white ZTR Flows on back order since the 16th of last month.

I heard that they may have a set of Crests available, will hear tomorrow.

'Effective Rim Diameter (ERD) is the diameter on which you want the ends of the spokes to lie...'

'ERD is the most critical dimension affecting spoke length...'

Scroll down towards the bottom:

http://www.sheldonbr...ard/spocalc.htm

Splattie, this is a nice explanation and a nice diagram.

Just to elaborate a little on the ERD. If yout spokes are too short, they show a bit of thread above the nipple. This is a faux pax deluxe. Like showing sock between your trousers and shoes when standing normally. An absolute scandal.

The opposite would be that the spokes protrude past the nipple head inside the rim. That's very bad too - worse than arranging for a cash bar at your son's baptism.

The former is a faux pas, the latter is a sin. If your spokes protrude past the point where the screwdriver slot in the nipple head starts, it means you won't be able to to unscrew the nipple with a screwdriver, should the square at the other end strip or, you have to make an adjustment in the field without a spoke spanner.

The perfect sociable wheel is one where the spokes can be tuned and nipples removed using a screwdriver. It is silly I know but....

Thefore ERD is critical. Most spokes only have 10mm of thread so misrepresenting your ERD or presenting it in some proprietary fashion is sacrilege.

The various dimensions that affect spoke length are:

1) (spoke) hole size in the hub.

2) The distance of the right spoke flange and left spoke flange from the centre of the hub.

3) The spoke hole circle diameter.

4) Rim ERD.

In order of importance: 4, 3, 2, 1.

Therefore, it is important to present your ERD in an industry-standard way. Mavic and NoTubes don't. Pity, we therefore have to measure each one of these rims before calculating spoke length. This means you need the rim in your hands before you can order spokes. A pain in the spoke hole, it is.

Are the hope pro 2 hubs the noisy ones with loud ratcheting sound on freewheel?

If so can you get or make them quiet would like to use them but dont want that noise

Are the hope pro 2 hubs the noisy ones with loud ratcheting sound on freewheel?

If so can you get or make them quiet would like to use them but dont want that noise

Yes you can shut them up. Put a generous helping of grease in the pawl/ratchet system. I've done it with my noisy Campags years ago and I like it quiet.

You'll have to remove the freehub in order to get in there.

Flip that is one SEXY machine you have there ... I am assuming that it is a Ti frame considering it is a Lynskey?

eliflap, that bike should be on the dream bike thread! What you got there on the front, is that a single rotor chain ring, 34t perhaps 36t? Very sexy, what's the weight and how much for a frame like that?