Hobbies

casci

I tried trout fishing a few weeks ago and again this past weekend. The bug is biting. I can really get into this. But I need some serious casting practice on the lawn to get my line out further.

Learn to double-haul asap, it will help in the long run.

My wife can cast really well but never wanted to catch anything so I wasnt allowed to put a hook on her line :/

Its just one of those things that when it clicks you find it really easy to do. Its been a while but I used to be able to get a standard line into the backing with 3 hauls.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi my name is tothehills and I have a problem

MTB

Wood working

Tropical fish keeping

Deep sea fishing

4X4 and out door camping

Photography

Bird watching and learning to fly a drone is in its infant stages

Other than the deep sea fishing and drone flying that sounds like my life. Pity you are in JHB, nothing better than a marine tank with fish you caught yourself.

Other than the deep sea fishing and drone flying that sounds like my life. Pity you are in JHB, nothing better than a marine tank with fish you caught yourself.

You must have a mother of a tank then, Geelbek, Rooisteenbras and cracker :eek: ? O ja, i forgot to add Scuba diving in there. Stopped some years ago, as fishing was way more fun. How tropical does the water get around East London?

Fresh water fish is more my game. With so many frequent power cuts in JHB, a marine tank becomes a risk if there is no UPS

I tried trout fishing a few weeks ago and again this past weekend. The bug is biting. I can really get into this. But I need some serious casting practice on the lawn to get my line out further.

It will make a big difference to get some lessons from someone who knows his stuff. The guy I know as possibly the best caster in KZN is Ben Pretorius. His outfit is called UFUDU and specialize in fishing trips to all kinds of exotic places. I know Ben gives casting clinics from time to time and I can tell you he is really good at it. Ben is a great expert on salt water fishing, but his casting clinic will suit anyone who wants to flyfish. Here is the link.

https://ufudu.co.za/academy/

Thanks for the help!

As for the fishing stories....the bites were huuuuge ;) the one I caught not really..... probably the smallest recorded ever! This little guy was released.

Ha ha, yes size doesn't matter when you are catching the smaller fish but it does matter when you are catching the bigger ones. Check out the Flyfishing thread also. Nice stories & pictures. There are quite a few of us crazies who both fish and cycle.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/132890-calling-the-fly-fishing-manne/

When the weather is crap I brew beer. Right now I have a Belgian Blond 8%, Pale Ale 5% and a Dark Mild 3.5% in kegs, a Munch Helles ~5% in the fermenter and planning to brew an oatmeal stout on Sunday. You could say it's my creative outlet  :w00t:

I had a marine tank/money pit at one stage. Lekker hobby but in JHB it is moer expensive.

When the weather is crap I brew beer. Right now I have a Belgian Blond 8%, Pale Ale 5% and a Dark Mild 3.5% in kegs, a Munch Helles ~5% in the fermenter and planning to brew an oatmeal stout on Sunday. You could say it's my creative outlet  :w00t:

/ tips hat

Wish I had the time and a bit of space, would love to brew.

Having said that, there's a 6 pack of Stella in the fridge right now, and it's almost beer o'clock !!

/ tips hat

Having said that, there's a 6 pack of Stella in the fridge right now, and it's almost beer o'clock !!

You only need a bucket...

/ tips hat

O do i like a stella. 

• 3 weeks later...

3 clean plates. These will be added to poly bags of pasteurized straw. Once it has fully colonised the poly bag, its fruiting time. Woohoo!post-113387-0-19770400-1523436062_thumb.jpg

Below is pink oyster Mycelium, started on Wednesday last week. post-113387-0-20143000-1523436226_thumb.jpg

LOVING AGAR WORK!