teachers strike???

Omlette

i dont think you can equate the 2. the person earning 3k will be doing a very much different job from the person earning 10k.

If the person earning 3k gets a 7% increase his salary will then be 3210. he will take home almost all the R210 cos there is no PAYE applicable to him, whilst

the person earning 10k gets a 7% increase his salary will then around 10700. his PAYE deducation is around R944. after the increase his deduction is R1070. He only sees R574 of R700. so probably only see a 5.5% increase.

we should be safe just say they need to be paid above the poverty income line.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a 7% increase on R3000 is not "decent"

a 7% on say R10000 can be considered "decent"

not so?

No I dont agree.

Increases are based on inflation,and designed to keep you on a level "purchasing field" (ie) so your rand today buys you the same as your rand last year, they are not designed to IMPROVE your basic wage package.

When you sign on to a job you are accepting a "basic" wage package, if you feel your pay is insufficient for the standard of living you aspire to, you seek a higher paying job!!.

You dont accept the initial job, then hold your employer to ransom for a higher wage and prejudice all their clients (scholars, patients etc in this case).

I have'nt looked at the PUBLISHED inflation rate (not the local pubs thumb suck) in SA, but last I heard it was less than 6% - so in effect, the increase is in line with norms.

Dont forget there is also a demanded "housing allowance" which has to be factored in, so I would say the increase in real terms is closer to 9% - pretty good if you ask me, and few private school teachers will be saddeling up to this kind of increase.

Its pretty clear that most of you don't know any high school teachers (let alone ones that work hard)

I'm married to a high school teacher who is government employed. Nobody at her school is striking, they have a proper work ethic and their responsibility is to the matrics and the other pupils, not their own pocket.

Teaching is a calling. A noble endeavour that too few people (including a vast amount of local teachers) don't understand.

If you become a teacher in this country, its not for the money, that I can assure you. Some teachers deserve increases, others definitely do not.

Many people think teachers have lekker school holidays and such like, but alas poor me and my kids, mom has to present holiday classes for the reprobates that don't want to toe the line during class and pay attention.

People in the public sector with my wife's qualifications would be appalled to know what a highly educated teacher gets for their many, many hours of mind breaking work. I have seen my wife go numerous times with NO sleep for 24 to even in excess of 48 hours before.

The goats should be separated from the sheep in the education department and the rest of the country's parents should realise that education and discipline begins at home, not in the class. Children nowadays have 'rights' and you cannot send Joe Soap out the class for repeated disruptive behavior for more than 5 minutes because he has rights.

What about the rights of the teacher to teach a class without wasting valuable teaching time on oxygen thieves?

Shane saying none of us understand is a bold statement dude. Most of us understand, and we are going on about the loosers in the department striking not the hard working ones still filling their posts like they are getting paid to do. So get of you high horse dude and read what this thread is about.

And dont even get me started on our "new" education curriculum, it failed in the states, and they actually sold it to the UK, it failed in the UK and guess who bought it, our moron Goverment. And I was part of a team that investigated this nightmare at Cape Tech, and its simply designed that celver hardworking kids group up with the general mass morons in groups so that they can slide through on the coat tails of the actual students that want to learn. Its a farse of note. (sound familiar, 95% of the country sliding past on the taxes paid by the other 5% seems to be the acceptable route to follow in this country.

I wish could get a 8.6% increase with a R1000 housing allowance. R1000 is 1/4 Of my rent.

I agree with the grumpy old fart erm guy :huh: When u get a job you get ur salary package. Its up to you if you accept it or not. I also agree that there should be a minumun wage but hell knows how much that is.

At work the one chef below me is on 1/2 my package but clears the same as I do cause Im on CTC. He gets overtime, travel allownace PH etc I dont. he is a Snr Sour im the Exec sous so not much diff in jobs.

And if you want to stike fine but why the hell go around break, burning all the stuff you have to work with in the first place? Does strike mean something else in some of the other offical languages?

i take my hat off to the cops, nurse teachers that get a crap wage but still do the job. Well done to those.

thanks covie,

Shane you are on the wrong track dude. my mum has been a high school teacher for over 30yrs. and as you mention, she is also one of the hardworking ones, no sleep, free tuition after schooling hours, etc. she was one of 2 teachers that lead a SA team of pupils to a UN debating contest in New York, came out winners, and did not even get a thank you from the department.

we are giving a general opinion of the strike. but if you want to compare, then ,including my mum, their level of discomfort in being a teacher is nothing compared to the dedicated ones in the health sector who face not only pathetic working conditions provided by the govenment, they are faced with diseases, night shift working hours and the list can go on. spare a moment for them.

but for the rest of the incompetent, salary whiners, they can go for an indefinite strike and not come back!

so when we say that "they" do not deserve an increase or that the increase proposed is fair, it is a general statement. unfortunately the municipal workers are like a pocket of potatoes, there are good ones, but a **** load of rotten ones!

It is just funny that the good teachers who deserve double that increase are all at school, but the no-good ones, who are just about never at work anyway, strike to demand more pay. And of course they then intimidate the good schools!

So next year income tax will be increased as well as the "sin" taxes, so in the end WE the people are going to pay for these increases. Fuel will go up. Rates and taxes. Everything.

Quick question.......... why can the speedcops not go on strike......

So next year income tax will be increased as well as the "sin" taxes, so in the end WE the people are going to pay for these increases. Fuel will go up. Rates and taxes. Everything.

Maybe we should start to intimidate the speedcops to strike!

Don't they work on commision?

So next year income tax will be increased as well as the "sin" taxes,

Yes, sure, its a given. The finance has to come from somewhere and government gets its money from us.

I'm sorry, I thought you had to actually be working in order to be able to go on strike!

They did last year some time if you remember.

Nobody missed them.!!

They have to get rid of the unions in this country, its crazy that these people can hold the country to ransom like this. It will happen again and again these strikes. The should all be sacked.

hmmm, lets see , why are they striking? There is no money to pay better salaries. Why is there no money? Because Baby Jesus(aka Mandela) said you are entitled to free education if you can't afford it! I knew at the time it would come back to byte them in their asses. And now obviously when someone better than them don't wanna strike they wanna use violence. Hello Animal! :angry:

My parents and I came to RSA 26 years ago. Why? My dad was an electrician on the mines there and they had a hug strike in 84/85. My dad had a family to look after, a house to pay for etc. My dad was a 'scab' because he just wanted to work and put food on the tabl, he is no fool and did not want to be part of the unions. He wound up getting an interview with the company Gencor and then after a few months of paperwork etc we arrived in RSA. What happened to the mines etc? Well eventually they went back to wok but the Government had had enough and decided it was easier and cheaper to just import coal, hence even more mines closed down. Now when I hear or see unions I know that in the long run their ideals are short sighted and the only people to suffer at the end of the day will be the ignorant union members. South Africa now has a huge problem controlling the unions and I fully believe the worst has to pass before we can forge on and return to productivity. My argument with the teachers is are you not supposed to be doing this because you love teaching (and nurses etc, public servants), while I believe everyone should have a liveable wage, if you wanted to make money why did you not become a lawyer, CA, doctor etc? I shudder at what the Matric pass rate will be this year!