teachers strike???

Omlette

Leet

This is under correction but primary teachers look at around R 9000 before deductions. Oh plus the R 630 housing subsidy. But if two teachers are married they only get one subsidy between them.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shane saying none of us understand is a bold statement dude. Most of us understand, and we are going on about the loosers in the department striking not the hard working ones still filling their posts like they are getting paid to do. So get of you high horse dude and read what this thread is about.

And dont even get me started on our "new" education curriculum, it failed in the states, and they actually sold it to the UK, it failed in the UK and guess who bought it, our moron Goverment. And I was part of a team that investigated this nightmare at Cape Tech, and its simply designed that celver hardworking kids group up with the general mass morons in groups so that they can slide through on the coat tails of the actual students that want to learn. Its a farse of note. (sound familiar, 95% of the country sliding past on the taxes paid by the other 5% seems to be the acceptable route to follow in this country.

You're right about sliding on the coat tails of clever.

The dept has even officially admitted the failure of that new education program. Tut tut.

Off my high horse.

Just got a mail to say my kids' school will close one day ahead of the scheduled mid-term break, saying that although it is one of the "Independent Schools in the area…I feel the risk factor for the safety of our pupils far outweighs the need to have school on that day".

I think all the training the ANC had the 'cadres' do to disrupt the country in the Apartheid era is now coming back to bite them, they have bred a monster here and its rapidly destroying everything in its path. Unions have their place but equally, unions should know their place. I know teachers may get paid poorly but my partner's sister is a teacher (and her hubby) and I can tell you , they don't live too badly at all (better than myself and my partner who run our own businesses and stress every month!), that may not be the norm but I don't think they (the teachers) are as badly off as some would think. But regardless of being under or overpaid,what gives them the right to disrupt the country like this, especially with the exams around the corner and our excellent pass rate!

I fully support what they are striking for, much of the frustration is rooted in the mismanagement of departments as well. But, the moment hospitals and schools are being disrupted they've crossed a clear line and aren't deserving of any support!

We've just had word that they are on surrounding school's property and causing ***, now we have to evict all the kids!!! Scary times...

Any teacher that damages a schools property or threatens the safety of a child/ learner should be:

(1) named and shamed

(2) fined

(3) preferably fired

These episodes of this strike should not be allowed to pass without making the most severe example of the identified transgressors. It is imperative to create a precedent that such action will NOT be tolerated in future wage negotiations. Furthermore the unions should be held responsible for the actions of their members.

It is the unions that incite this action and remain unaccountable.

Any teacher that damages a schools property or threatens the safety of a child/ learner should be:

(1) named and shamed

(2) fined

(3) preferably fired

These episodes of this strike should not be allowed to pass without making the most severe example of the identified transgressors. It is imperative to create a precedent that such action will NOT be tolerated in future wage negotiations. Furthermore the unions should be held responsible for the actions of their members.

And why would they do that to their bruddas and siestas...?

We've just had word that they are on surrounding school's property and causing ***, now we have to evict all the kids!!! Scary times...

what area / school is this????

(1) named and shamed

(2) fined

(3) preferably fired

Only agree with two options

(1) named and shamed

(3) preferably fired

I think all the training the ANC had the 'cadres' do to disrupt the country in the Apartheid era is now coming back to bite them, they have bred a monster here and its rapidly destroying everything in its path. Unions have their place but equally, unions should know their place. I know teachers may get paid poorly but my partner's sister is a teacher (and her hubby) and I can tell you , they don't live too badly at all (better than myself and my partner who run our own businesses and stress every month!), that may not be the norm but I don't think they (the teachers) are as badly off as some would think. But regardless of being under or overpaid,what gives them the right to disrupt the country like this, especially with the exams around the corner and our excellent pass rate!

Name and Shame, then fire the bastids and lastly make sure the bill's to repair the property go directly to the unions. If they cannot controll their members they should be held liable for any damages.

Name and Shame, then fire the bastids and lastly make sure the bill's to repair the property go directly to the unions. If they cannot controll their members they should be held liable for any damages.

I agree 100%. They need to be brought under control

Whats a "decent wage" in your mind.?

My wife has a BA, honours in psychology and a higher diploma in education - 5 years at university. She's one of the best - and best loved - teachers at her school, takes extra murals, does counselling and is vice-head of her grade, is never home before 5.30 despite 'shorter hours' for teachers, and, as an english teacher, often spends all weekend and part of the holiday marking.

She takes home less than 10k per month. I'd say that's pretty indecent. I think a 300% raise would be more in line with her skills, level of dedication, experience and what she is delivering. It would be a good starting point anyway.

The impact of these strikes is trivial compared to what is happening to the level of education in this country. Those that are outraged should go to the airport and count the education graduates boarding planes for countries where they are valued.

Luke if she has that its her choice to work for the public sector and not getting paid private sector prices. She could earn tripple at a private school. However that said some of these scenarios are just called life.

I have been studying continously for the last 15 years every year with a cost of studying rangeing from 30-50k per year just to stay updated in my field. It equates to me having 2 PHD's on the current SETA system. And guess what I get paid a quater of what your average GP gets paid that studied for a couple of years with no actual speciality.

I can't complain if I wanted to be paid as a doctor or laywer I should have gone into one of those careers. Its as simple as that.

what area / school is this????

West Rand schools, such as Arthur Matthews, Westridge and Discovery have been shut down due to violent threats. Allen Glen High has been advised to fetch kids. I am at Panorama and we are sending home kids!!!

My wife has a BA, honours in psychology and a higher diploma in education - 5 years at university. She's one of the best - and best loved - teachers at her school, takes extra murals, does counselling and is vice-head of her grade, is never home before 5.30 despite 'shorter hours' for teachers, and, as an english teacher, often spends all weekend and part of the holiday marking.

She takes home less than 10k per month. I'd say that's pretty indecent. I think a 300% race would be more in line with her skills, level of dedication, experience and what she is delivering. It would be a good starting point anyway.

The impact of these strikes is trivial compared to what is happening to the level of education in this country. Those that are outraged should go to the airport and count the education graduates boarding planes for countries where they are valued.

Based on the information you provided an elevated salary increase for your wife would seem appropriate. That type of dedication / passion deserves a good reward ( in any job for that matter ).

But not all of these “people” are of your wife’s caliber.

Even if they where taking home R2000 a month, their job choice and not the innocent children or the school fee paying parents!!! They could just stay at home or vent their frustration at government or go rampage the officials / ministers homes, then the dispute will be settled quickly.

Bottom line, they enjoy the violent / aggressive approach. All the unions members act the same, so it is NOT mainly about the money.