Trail Running

Weight Weenie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think Salomon is very overrated. Very clever brand marketing made them the most popular there are other brands available that are a lot more comfortable and offers way more value for money. Brand is always a personal thing but I think Inov8 is the best trail running shoe on the market currently.

Guest agteros

Socks can also cause them - I bought Falke trail running socks and they are absolute rubbish !

Got some First Ascent Swift trail running socks - Heaven ! No blisters, padded and breathable. Low cut and good elastic to keep crap out the shoes

I know plenty runners who use Falke, Comrades runners included. None have issues. Just remember not to buy them too small, and put the L sock on the left foot and the R sock on the other foot :)

Socks take away the chafing from the shoe against your skin, so as long as they fit correctly and do not absorb too much moisture they should be fine.

Too thick a sock will cause its own problems again, although trail running socks are a bit studier than the general running sock. Quite a few long distance runners wear two pairs of sock as an additional layer to absorb chafing.... Me thinks they just have the wrong shoes on.

Running is so unlike cycling, bling gear means zilch in running. You don't even need shoes, and any old t shirt and non-chafing short will work just as well as any other - and still won't affect your running pace!

You don't see runners eyeing each others shoes etc after/before/during a race. You use what works for YOU, not what your buddies, or some elite athlete swears by!

Ghostman, where did you buy your Inov's? ive been looking for them but cant find any info as to who stocks them

Cyclelab Centurion also sell them,they have a whole new multi sport section.

Must say I dont like the solomans, dont fit my feet at all, too narrow.

Also prefer a more aggressive outsole

Yes, I think that's the case with me as well. Even wearing them around the house I can feel the damn things starting to go to work on my little toe.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that's a run I can see myself doing!!

Also have a mate that organises a run the opposite direction (but its 6 days & 270 odd km's) and the last days run is the Surfers Marathon.

Edited by Thug

Im leaving for Groenkloof now so if anyone wants to join us for a run be there 15:30 in the parking lot, we'll do between 6,3-10km, not too hectic pace.

Anyone have any recommendations on some very technical terrain in the gauteng area? Not just limited to trails though, XC as well. I am looking to hit some very technical areas at speed.

Anyone have any recommendations on some very technical terrain in the gauteng area? Not just limited to trails though, XC as well. I am looking to hit some very technical areas at speed.

rol van 'n berg af...nee grap net

Mellville Koppies but you don't get too much distance wise.

Mellville Koppies but you don't get too much distance wise.

Klapperkop will also give you a real solid trail running workout.

Quoted from the site : http://www.southernstorm.co.za/ I would like to attempt this one but need training advice. First leg of the race is to run the OTTER trail in 8 hours

What is the Southern Storm?

The Southern Storm presented by Hi-Tec has been dubbed “The Impossible Race.” It is a 6 day, staged, full service, offroad duathlon featuring Mountain biking and Trail Running that traverse some of the most spectacular natural and wilderness regions in Africa. The Storm follows a new path every year. Participants are accommodated in tented race camps which are moved daily.

What is the History of The Southern Storm?

The inaugural Southern Storm was staged in September 2009 and ushered in a new era of staged Storm Racing (Sport Traversing Oceans Rivers & Mountains). The first Storm, which attracted some of the best endurance athletes in Africa, was described by hardened multisport competitors as the most physically challenging event ever. The combination of two of the fastest growing trail sports into one staged event of an individual format provided a race of strategic intrigue for followers and proved exceptionally popular with competitors.

The 2009 Storm started in the Tsitsikamma section of the Garden Route National Park and, over six days, completed a full traverse East to West of the park finishing in Ebb and Flow at Wilderness.

What is the format of the Southern Storm?

The Southern Storm is divided into 6 daily stages. Each stage comprises of one or a number of Legs. Each Leg is completed either by Mountain Biking or Trail Running. Distances of the Legs vary from 4km to 42km for the trail running Legs and 10km to 100km for the mountain bike Legs.

Leg, Stage and Overall Times are recorded and presented on a Race Leader-Board each day. Leg winners, Stage winners and overall Race Leaders are acknowledged in a daily ceremony held in the evenings in the Race camp. Competitors are ranked on the leader board according to their overall times and the leader at the end of every stage is presented with a yellow jersey. The number one ranked competitor at the end of the final stage is declared the winner of the event.

Races can be run in a “time trial, “chasing” or “straight race” format. Transition times will be included in overall race or stage time however some transitions many have a set minimum time allocation or be neutralised. Bonus times may be awarded for race wins and or hotspots. More information on the race format will be provided in the Race Rules and Competitor News Letters.

Timing is done electronically with a bi-directional chip-based system.

Race rules will be strictly implemented in 2010. A copy of the rules will be made available to all competitors.