Gravel sections in Road Races

FanieFiets

i think i will do the race with my training wheels and inner tire liners to prevent puctures... will add a extra kg to my bike but it will be worth it in the long run.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i will do the race with my training wheels and inner tire liners to prevent puctures... will add a extra kg to my bike but it will be worth it in the long run.

I think using your training wheels is a good idea, but not so sure about tyre liners.  They are great for glass and thorns, but not really for stones.  You are anyway so light, I don't think you will have any problems!  Big boys like me can tempt the snakes to bite!!!

thanks for the advise ' date=' please clarify what you said about tire liners not being great for stones? [/quote']

I ride with tyre liners in my mtb tyres and the are great for keeping pesky thorns and glass out.  I haven't had  single puncture in the last 6 months!  Riding over stones however you won't get punctures due to the tube being pierced (which the liner prevents), you will get a flat because you get a pressure puncture (the tube gets pinched against the rim and gets a hole in it - also called a snake bite as both sides of the tube gets punctured) when you hit a pothole or rock.  My advice is to make sure your tyres are HARD to avoid this, but like I said; that stretch of road is really not that rocky.  I think you can ride it without any protection.

wow that was very useful thank you. same experience with my mtb, have not got a puncture since i got the bike.... !!! almost a year.

OK, one more pic:  Little rough on the edge and some nasty potholes in the middle.  So like I said, stay to the left and you should be fine.  If you ride in the middle you might hit some nice 20cm sized holes/dips!

20070913_150843_gravelDSC00236.JPG

This time of the year really is the most beautiful in the Durbanville area:

20070913_151137_dvilleDSC00232.JPG

Naas' date=' daai Lemmer ry mos nou daar in Badplaas se wereld die Selati toer. Wonder hoe hy met daai duk lyf oor longtom pass gaan kom.?

Ek hoop hy ry met sy mtb skoene, sodat hy maar 'n toon kan klap as dit moet.

[/quote']

ons het lang arms ontwikkel

Yep I must admit that I am a little aprehensive about taking the tandem over gravel. I will try the tire liner thing for that day.

I dont think it would be necessary.Done that gravel section a couple of times, and i found ok.The faster you go, the better.and stay at the sides.

AL, you better tighten all the bolts on that nice bike of yours...because we're gonna fly through that section.Approve

Yep I must admit that I am a little aprehensive about taking the tandem over gravel. I will try the tire liner thing for that day.
Just realised that I wont be at the Geko as I will be in Mauritius on honeymoon

Just realised that I wont be at the Geko as I will be in Mauritius on honeymoon

Lucky you, I'll chose a honeymoon over that gravel section any day Wink

AL' date=' you better tighten all the bolts on that nice bike of yours...because we're gonna fly through that section.Approve[/quote']

will take my voyager mile club card with...maybe get some free miles!Wink