Gravel sections in Road Races

FanieFiets

I think it is a fabulous idea. Something new and different!

Of course I do not expect anyone else to feel the way I do which is a pity.

Now if they were to organise an elite race with a gravel section and loops so spectators could come out and enjoy it... hmmm..

New and different but in no way can it be good for your bike' date=' dont you think? I try to look after my stuff.......
[/quote']

Faan - 1km goeie grondpad gaan glad nie jou fiets opneuk nie. Wat van al die flippen potholes in die teerpaaie!? Dit doen baie meer skade aan wiele as enige iets anders.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, carbon bikes are pretty tough.  They can be ridden on dirt roads without any damage.  I ride my Giant through dirt paths often - only mud and sand are a problem because of the high-ressure, skinny tyres.  Never damaged my bike (or wheels for that matter).  An MTB is not much stronger, just more practical to use in mud and sand, and easier to jump onto a kerb or over rocks etc.

Ek ry OM potholes in die paaie...

En hopelik nie IN iemand anders vas in 'n race nie! Ek het al genoeg valle gesien waar ouens net eenvoudig uitswaai sonder om handtekens te gebruik ens...

Well, I for sure will not do the the race because of this gravel section. Wanted to do this race as I need aonther seeding race before end of month, but when I heard of this gravel section I just crossed it of my list of wanna do rides. The same goes for the worcester ride. I dont do mountain biking, so why must I do it with my road bike for which I have paid a bundle. I am not a pro that get their wheels for free and dont mind getting punctures, becuase they dont have to fix it and neither do they have to pay for damages to wheels. It is totally different scenario doing that road in the GIRO and part of the GIRO squad.   

Ek ry OM potholes in die paaie...

En hopelik nie IN iemand anders vas in 'n race nie! Ek het al genoeg valle gesien waar ouens net eenvoudig uitswaai sonder om handtekens te gebruik ens...

Obviously doen ek dit net as iemand skuins agter my ry ... maak seker ek switch hom in die proses.

Ek ry miskien nou nie al lank fiets nie maar ek wys darem gate/glas/klippe in die pad uit. 

If a carbon bike (Hincappies Trek excluded) can handle Paris - Roubaix any bike can handle a short gravel section, just take it easy. The stearing is the biggest problem

I am not so sure. Why can you hammer a MTB so much but have to treat a road bike like it is made of glass?

Of course I would not advise using carbon wheels or super expensive bikes etc. cause the risks are just to high' date=' but theoretically it should work.

Last time I was home I did quite a bit of 'off-roading' and riding on gravel roads on my old GT. Worked like a dream and was a lot of fun.
[/quote']

Want hy blink nog!!!!! Ek het NET 1 padfiets nie 'n race een, 'n oue en 'n oefen baaik nie. Anyway, its more the wheels that worry me. I ride a American Classic set and they are very heavy on bearings and not staying true.

Faan - 1km goeie grondpad gaan glad nie jou fiets opneuk nie. Wat

van al die flippen potholes in die teerpaaie!? Dit doen baie meer skade

aan wiele as enige iets anders.

Ek ry ook OM potholes. As ek deur  'n pothole ry IS my wiel gebuckle.

If a carbon bike (Hincappies Trek excluded) can handle Paris - Roubaix any bike can handle a short gravel section' date=' just take it easy. The stearing is the biggest problem[/quote']

As daar iets fout gaan kry hulle tog gratis nuwe stuff, anders as ons. Het daar nie 'n paar jaar terug 'n ou se vurk gebreek nie?

Well' date=' I for sure will not do the the race because of this gravel section.    [/quote']

Popeye, jy sal moet hard praat hier - die man wil nou uitchicken en dit oor 'n paar stukkies klip - dink jy dis al rede?

Daar's mos nog baie tyd om te gaan kyk hoe lyk daai pad, selfs nampak lemmer wil graag da ga ry.

I think you guys have a gross mis-interpretation of a Giro squad? I was part of the Giro, I don't get my stuff for free, if I puncture, I'm putting on another tubby as well.

I also rode this gravel route, it is in better condition that quite a few of the tar roads in the area, there really is nothing wrong with it.

Naas, daai Lemmer ry mos nou daar in Badplaas se wereld die Selati toer. Wonder hoe hy met daai duk lyf oor longtom pass gaan kom.?

Ek hoop hy ry met sy mtb skoene, sodat hy maar 'n toon kan klap as dit moet.

Okei, just for the guys who is looking up at Vissershok.

I did a comparison between Steynsrust (the big one) and Vissershok (from the dip at the "cow camp"

(the 2 training rides was not the same distance, therefor, the "scew" view.)

20070911_024118_rust.JPG

OK, I did the Malanshoogte gravel section this evening and I can report back that you girls can relax, the road looks great!  The first section has some potholes in it, but if you stick to the left you should be fine.  At the top of the bump it gets a bit stony, but not radical and the last  stretch at the end is almost as smooth as tar.  I would be way, way more worried about the two climbs after the gravel if I were you!!!!

Here are some pics I took backwards (sun was in my eyes, so had to turn around)

20070913_142708_gavelDSC00234.JPG

close up:

20070913_142819_gravelDSC00235.JPG

Good isn't it?!