MTB events in WC - poor turnout?

johnw

The funny thing is that there were well over 400 people for the Stellenbosch 60km race earlier in the year, and probbaly more for the Argus MTB.

I think it has a lot to do with marketing.

It's really a pity coz most people rate Ceres as one of the best. Then again do we really want the hoards at Ceres? Big%20smile

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No! Published results are only for paid up PPA Members therefore I do not think this is a true reflections for the participants of the day.

It also has a lot to do with fitness. We've just come out of the wettest Cape winter in years and a lot of the funriders have hardly had time to dust off their bikes. Come Argus time, everyone's ready to GO.

What you gauties also need to realise is that there are so many places available to ride your MTB in the Western Cape with many of them open to the public all year round.

You don't have to enter an event to go for a spectacular ride if you are able to find your way without following a marked out route. (This also explains why Marius enters an event when all he wants to do is a short Saturday ride.. Wink)

Marketing is a big factor, but so is the winter weather in the Cape.

For the Stellenbosch Challenge early Aug. it was wet before, but beautiful sunny weather on the day.

For the Stellenbosch West ride it was raining early morning in Cape Town on the day, so the wimps stayed in bed...

a I had a retina detachment about 5 years ago' date=' that meant that my retina tear away from my eyeball

[/quote']

You mean your eye popped?? LOL

mountain_lion2007-09-11 07:42:49

There was also a MTB ride in Stanford this weekend - 50km, and it was on part of next year's Epic route. 33 people did the long route, with a similar number doing the shorter route.

This ride wasn't advertised well, yet the turn out was pretty good, and the riding was great.

The day of the Stellenbosch-wes ride there were three MTB events in the WC.  A month earlier, at the Stellenbosch challenge a total of 1600 cyclists started the 3 routes (around 1200 finished or were timed).  Hardly a low turnout (and an increase of 500 cyclists over the previous year).  Also, as others have noted, the Eselfontein and Stellenbosch-wes rides are known to be quite tough, rain played a role in the attendance for the latter, and it is quite a drive out to Ceres.  What would be intersting would be to compare number of the previous years for the same rides (bearing in mind that the Eselfontein ride was earlier this year I believe?)

...and to answer my own question:  Eselfontein was held 6 weeks earlier than last year, and a total of 152 riders were timed this year, as opposed to 69 last year, thus an increase of over 100%.  The Stellenbosch-wes ride had a total of 150 timed finishers this year, opposed to 121 last year, and the weather was crap this year.  So al in all we are seeing an increase it appears....

HS, I think it may be an increase in the number of people wearing or buying a timing chip?

Also that Stellenbosch-West funride, 3 mtb rides plus WP road champs, so 4 events in one day and 5 events for the weekend! Not great planning maybe, don't know the specifics of this.

Popeye- The name makes sense now, you are thus justified, I'm sure what happened to you is not a common occurence however?

I honestly think more people are doinmg mtb races than last year.  The Argus was WAY bigger and so was Grabouw and the other races early on in the season.  Later on the weather turned ugly and I skipped quite a lot.  One recent weekend we had THREE mtb rides on one Sunday.  That is proof that things are getting bigger.  The issue will become travelling and the cost when there are more races on the calendar.  So, the closer to home, the more likely we will go...

49 finishers for Eselfontein 70km and 53 for the 40km.

Just received the official results for Eselfontein:

70km: 59 finishers

40km: 156

25km: 94

Total: 309

Personally I don't want more people than that at the event.

I honestly think more people are doinmg mtb races than last year.  The Argus was WAY bigger and so was Grabouw and the other races early on in the season.  Later on the weather turned ugly and I skipped quite a lot.  One recent weekend we had THREE mtb rides on one Sunday.  That is proof that things are getting bigger.  The issue will become travelling and the cost when there are more races on the calendar.  So' date=' the closer to home, the more likely we will go...[/quote']

I will second that it can get a bit pricy to do 300km round trip for a ride and then you get a r300 speeding fine in malmsbury two weekends in a row CryCry

Eselfontein, you can't look at the timed chips as they seemed to have a LOT of issues with the system.  I apparently rode 70km's in 12 hours?!

Possible reasons for less numbers at some races

1.  There are a lot more events than before so people pick the ones they want to do.  i.e  if I don't see the words technical / single track I don't do it.

2.  Hosting multiple events on the same day.  Divides the numbers.

3.  The amount of mud in the Western Cape this year.  Destory bikes!!!

4.  The number of amazing routes to go ride.  Previously I did races to be able to get to places we normally can't ride.  Now we have so many stunning options.

Personally I hope the numbers decrease!