32 vs 34

skollie

Dit is miskien bietjie van "hoe lank is n tou" vraag?

Ry op die oomblik met 'n 11-34 cassette, wil net weet hoe groot is die verskil na n 11-32 cassette? Gaan ek dood trek teen die eerste steil bult of is die verskil nie te dramaties nie

I must admit, I dont ride in the small blade at all on the MTB so i personaly dont think a 32 will make any difference when it comes to difficulty on the peddle stroke, they both really light. Bare in mind, Im a gung ho Roadie from joburg lol

die verskil tussen 34 en 32 is 2 tande ... jy sal dit nie mis nie, behalwe as dit nou jou voortande is :P

Unles your bike is really heavy, or youre overweight and vrot, you shouldnt really notice the 32. I never really used the 32 even, so I got a 26t granny chainring. To be honnest I should have gone for a 27 or 28t... If you dont have a oxwaggon of a bike you can also just get out the saddle like one would do on a roady, With a bit of skill you shouldnt spin out unless its really loose.

I first rode with a 11-32 and then got a 11-34 and found the jump between the various cogs was not as "even" or "smooth" feeling as the 11-32 was. I have replaced the cassette again and did the 11-32 this time around and am happier with this combo.

I have also been using a 32t crank blade and 16t cassette sprocket for a couple of months now and this seems sufficient for most riding :)

I prefer the 34 but for different reasons. It allows me to stay in the big and middle blade longer.

I also think the ration is more or less the following 1 tooth at the back = 4 teeth at the front. More or less so don't kill me on this one.

Dit is miskien bietjie van "hoe lank is n tou" vraag?

Ry op die oomblik met 'n 11-34 cassette, wil net weet hoe groot is die verskil na n 11-32 cassette? Gaan ek dood trek teen die eerste steil bult of is die verskil nie te dramaties nie

6% harder trap want dit is verskil in gear ratio.

Go and ride the Barberton MTB marathon. A 26 km long climb at an avg. incline of 6.5%. First 20 kays, a 32 really feels well, and then.....I am not that unfit or overweight.

Same for long multiday events.....there's always that ONE challenge at the end of the stage. After more than 7 hrs in the saddle....

Short version, if you do flat, short races, especially the ones in Gaunteng (read East Rand and South), then you don't need the 34.

As they say, it is only 2 teeth... There isn't much out there that you can't climb with a 32. If it gets really gnarly you can get off and push ;) If you are a roady riding a mounty then there is the weight saving as well :D

32 is enough if you still have a granny gear. By the time you're in 32x30 it is faster to walk then it is to ride.

I've got a 32 on my race wheels and a 34 on my training wheels - I actually cant tell the difference when I'm riding... (and my smallest chainring is a 32)

When changing to 32 the majority of cassette ratio changes and the benefit of going down to 32 is that the jumps between gears is not as high. I agree with the post that says you can walk faster than trying to grind on your granny + 34 :)

If you are in the top 10% of the field, of are only doing flattish races/rides, go 32. The rest of us mortals appreciate our 34's on those climbs at the end of the marathons.