Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheaper price as your double clutch system!

The 'Oner' is about 110 dollar and will love you long time. It also comes in various clours so you can go full chav and match it with all the matchey Hope kit!

could do a lovely carbon roadie SS conversion with the "Oner"

i see the "oner" is  $140 already...so at 140(x14)+15%+10%+shipping i guess id hypothetically take the niner one instead as it will be cheaper locally lol...or even a Wheels MFG one IF they finally manage to stock their stuff locally reliably.

i see the "oner" is  $140 already...so at 140(x14)+15%+10%+shipping i guess id hypothetically take the niner one instead as it will be cheaper locally lol...or even a Wheels MFG one IF they finally manage to stock their stuff locally reliably.

so you are looking at around 3K then ........... wonder what it would cost a local engineering firm to turn this out on a lathe?

I still think  the cleanest solution on a vertical drop out bike is to run a guide / tensioner at the crank. Nice and clean, easy to get the rear wheel off and amazingly adds very little resistance to the drive train ... that v crank would spin freely like nobody's business.

If you do not have ISG tabs on your frame, but use an external BB, you do get adapters that fit between the frame and BB that accept an ISG mounted guide.

p5pb17221231.jpg

p5pb17221223.jpg

Surely you would need to adjust for chain stretch etc. which means loosening cranks and hub to adjust? Just seems like it could be a fiddly setup.

Surely you would need to adjust for chain stretch etc. which means loosening cranks and hub to adjust? Just seems like it could be a fiddly setup.

Chain stretch does not just happen over night and this setup tends to not require a "perfect" setup for it to run well or reliably.

I have used both the spring and friction mounted der mounted tensioners before and also horizontal drop out frames to run SS, and the chain ring guide has been the easiest of all to setup and adjust.

With a horizontal dropout, if you tension the chain you very often have to also adjust the brakes .. newer SS frames have the brakes afixed to the sliding mounts which has resolved this though. 

This system is also strangely very silent.

Yeah - I was just wondering. 

Unless its a half-link chain which will literally stretch over night :-)

Yeah - I was just wondering. 

Unless its a half-link chain which will literally stretch over night :-)

made the mistake before of buying a blue anodized half link chain .... other than looks that was money well wasted :P

• 5 weeks later...

I have a half link on my Cotic, Its seen a good few kms. Commutes, gravel rides, pub rides, slow easy rides around the block with mini-me and it hasnt budged. keeping in mind i dont have a tensioner and have vertical drop outs. i dont follow any particular maintenance and just lube the thing a bit when it gets dry. 

made the mistake before of buying a blue anodized half link chain .... other than looks that was money well wasted :P

I have a half link on my Cotic, Its seen a good few kms. Commutes, gravel rides, pub rides, slow easy rides around the block with mini-me and it hasnt budged. keeping in mind i dont have a tensioner and have vertical drop outs. i dont follow any particular maintenance and just lube the thing a bit when it gets dry. 

Mine was running on a On One Inbred with horizontal SS drop outs ... was running a spank blue chain if memory serves.

Hey guys. I’m still on the look out for a 29 suspension fork with a straight steerer if anyone has one they want to sell.

Hens Teeth.

Also worried about when my current shock finally bombs out...

Sprocket and Jack in Randburg offered to order me one so I’m sure other bike shops can get one if needed.